Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

ineffective strikers

Wasn''t at game, so how did Srbeny play? Does it look like he''s improving with each game?

That being said, no goals from our striking dept again, so for those with good memories, can anyone remember when we had such an ineffective season with our strikers?

Sure we''ve had some duff strikers, but have we had a season when "all" our strikers have so abysmally failed to find the net?

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Suffice to say that remove Maddison’s goals- many of which were personal moments of brilliance- and we would be staring league one in the face...[/quote]If you ignore his goals, and other players goals, and players saves/defensive work we''d have been relegated a long time ago.

Srbeny had his best game in a Norwich shirt. The miss was a tight angle and he got unlucky, woeful is a bit unfair.

He was obviously blown by the 75th minute as well, he had a decent shot but was obviously spent.

His vision for a quick transitional pass was very nice though, back to goal with a couple of quick layoffs to the winger then he was breaking again, did that a few times.

Think he could come good for us.

We play a system which should not need a traditional box striker,only forward thinking players.This can work but will need a few seasons to implement.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Suffice to say that remove Maddison’s goals- many of which were personal moments of brilliance- and we would be staring league one in the face...[/quote] This is fallacious reasoning. You are implying that everything else would have been the same as it has been with Maddison playing, without Maddison playing. Simply untrue.

[quote user="king canary"]I was impressed with his touch and his link up play was solid. The chance he missed was woeful though.[/quote]Not "woeful". The keeper closed him down well; Srbeny made the correct choice to aim just inside the far post, which gave him the best chance of scoring; needed the connection to be absolutely right, which it wasn''t -- quite. 

Nah, it was woeful. He took three touches (any of which he could have taken the shot on with) and let the keeper get too close before not even hitting the target.

Srbeny has shown enough for us to be patient with him. Not to many European strikers adapt straight away, it''s a shame he didn''t get a goal yesterday as it''d help him settle in further. I''d be happy to with him as one of hopefully three first choice options upfront next season.

Dean Coney''s boots that has to be the dumbest thing you''ve ever posted and you''ve had a good few attempts.

Take the goalie of the pitch every week and we''d be sitting rock bottom.

97-98

only scored 52 goals in 46 games

Roberts-Bellamy hadn''t clicked into gear yet.. and we had Fleck, Coote and Broughton..

midfielders goals saved us that season..

i wonder what would of happened if Simon Haworth hadn''t failed his medical?

[quote user="Samwam27"]Wasn''t at game, so how did Srbeny play? Does it look like he''s improving with each game?

That being said, no goals from our striking dept again, so for those with good memories, can anyone remember when we had such an ineffective season with our strikers?

Sure we''ve had some duff strikers, but have we had a season when "all" our strikers have so abysmally failed to find the net?[/quote]Are you a scout? I mean if you can tell whether a footballer has the ability to be effective for City without seeing him play first hand, your services must be highly sought after by top clubs worldwide. Are your skills soley confined to identifying players that will be "ineffective" or are you also able to single out footballers that can make a contribution without having to watch them as well?If it''s the latter maybe you could speak to Stuart Webber about player recruitment. I mean just think of the money the club could save without the need for in depth scouting networks when they can just run potential players past you, using your Nostradamus-esque foresight before making an approach for them.

Not sure what you''re on Iwan, but you might want to read my post again????

Haven''t judged anyone. Just asking what peoples thoughts of Srbeny are so far, and can anyone else remember a season when our strikers were so poor.

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Dean Coney''s boots that has to be the dumbest thing you''ve ever posted and you''ve had a good few attempts.

Take the goalie of the pitch every week and we''d be sitting rock bottom.[/quote]

It''s not dumb at all. It''s a perfectly valid point that needs to be addressed before the start of next season

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Dean Coney''s boots that has to be the dumbest thing you''ve ever posted and you''ve had a good few attempts.

Take the goalie of the pitch every week and we''d be sitting rock bottom.[/quote]

It''s not dumb at all. It''s a perfectly valid point that needs to be addressed before the start of next season[/quote] It''s perfectly valid, but hardy original, to point out that, if Maddison leaves we''ll no longer have our top scorer this season playing for us. What isn''t valid is the claim that if we hadn''t had Maddison this season we would have "been staring League One in the face".

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Dean Coney''s boots that has to be the dumbest thing you''ve ever posted and you''ve had a good few attempts.

It''s not dumb at all. It''s a perfectly valid point that needs to be addressed before the start of next season[/quote]I should write to the club, as I''m sure it hasn''t occurred to them

I don''t think it''s too much of a stretch though. He''s either scored or assisted 20 goals in the league this season, just shy of 50% of our total goals. He''s also created more than double the chances of any of our other players this season and more than anyone else in the division according to Squawka.

So while, yes, someone else would have been playing in his position I struggled to believe they would have had anywhere near the impact Maddison has had.

Here''s a player that we saw the potential of so signed from Coventry and developed into the player we have now. Well done to those who spotted him, signed him and continued with his development. Without those people we could well have been relegated this season.....

What about the players who have cleared the ball off the line ?Are their efforts to be ignored ?How near to relegation would we be now without their heroic efforts ?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Here''s a player that we saw the potential of so signed from Coventry and developed into the player we have now. Well done to those who spotted him, signed him and continued with his development. Without those people we could well have been relegated this season.....[/quote]I see what you are doing here and yes Maddison has turned out to be a diamond in a bucket of coal that our previous scouting system were looking into. The much admired by you set up that Webber immediately got rid of when he drove through the gates at Colney.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Here''s a player that we saw the potential of so signed from Coventry and developed into the player we have now. Well done to those who spotted him, signed him and continued with his development. Without those people we could well have been relegated this season.....[/quote]I see what you are doing here and yes Maddison has turned out to be a diamond in a bucket of coal that our previous scouting system were looking into. The much admired by you set up that Webber immediately got rid of when he drove through the gates at Colney. [/quote]
Was he the first player we signed post Bowkett?

The point I was making was the Maddison, being far too food for this league and head and shoulders above any other player we have, has helped to paper over just how poor we have been. I maintain that without his presence - yet keeping the rest of the team we would have been in a relegation fight at present.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Here''s a player that we saw the potential of so signed from Coventry and developed into the player we have now. Well done to those who spotted him, signed him and continued with his development. Without those people we could well have been relegated this season.....[/quote]I see what you are doing here and yes Maddison has turned out to be a diamond in a bucket of coal that our previous scouting system were looking into. The much admired by you set up that Webber immediately got rid of when he drove through the gates at Colney. [/quote]
Was he the first player we signed post Bowkett?
[/quote]I thought we had a 4 man '' board '' operating the football side of things at the club in those days but i do not recall Bowkett being on it. Can you remind me who was on it Nutty ? [;)]

Are we still trying to work out who saved us from relegation this year Tilly? Can you remember?

Listening to you seems to me that after 2010 yer man Bowkett had less input than Stephen Fry. Surely he contributed something?

Oh he certainly did Nutty as that debt regarding the South Stand for starters had to be sorted out so he was sitting in meetings at financial institutions while that 4 man football board were busy installing a revolving door at Colney for scouts and coaches. Horses for courses.Now as for Stephen Fry he had 8 million Twatter followers don''t you know,what more can you want if you are an absentee director ?

I thought Bowkett sorted out our debt to be paid off upon us staying in the PL two conecutive seasons? After that, according to you, he was on the beach? I don''t buy it because we you know I was at AGMs and forums where he said different.

Bowkett was chairman until December 2015 so any mistakes or accomplishments were shared amongst him and the rest of the board of directors in that time.