Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

It was 50 years ago today

My first visit to Carrow Road for a 3-2 victory over Bristol City. It cost the modern equivalent of 12.5 pence to get in. There are a huge number of negative posts on this site but Norwich City has been the one constant thing in my life since that day. Carrow Road has changed out of all recognition since then and it has been an extraordinary 50 years. I''ve seen us win at all the ''big clubs'' and in Munich but the highlight was that wonderful night at Portman Road.

Shame that this is one of the few seasons when there is little to play for with a few games to go. Next season......

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]My first visit to Carrow Road for a 3-2 victory over Bristol City. It cost the modern equivalent of 12.5 pence to get in. There are a huge number of negative posts on this site but Norwich City has been the one constant thing in my life since that day. Carrow Road has changed out of all recognition since then and it has been an extraordinary 50 years. I''ve seen us win at all the ''big clubs'' and in Munich but the highlight was that wonderful night at Portman Road.

Shame that this is one of the few seasons when there is little to play for with a few games to go. Next season......[/quote]Firstly congratulations, a true ''Golden Oldie''.Secondly there''s always something to play for, and some new talent to see showing what they can do, and what lies ahead.Onel looks to be an exciting prospect, Sir Benny similarly looks to be finding his feet and next season we''ll see a few off the youngsters breaking through. Not as some seasons, but these pauses make the highs that much better.And if you are having a ''couple'' later don''t kick off or throw up in (the bog) or get involved in some scrimmage.. just steady on old fella.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]My first visit to Carrow Road for a 3-2 victory over Bristol City. It cost the modern equivalent of 12.5 pence to get in. There are a huge number of negative posts on this site but Norwich City has been the one constant thing in my life since that day. Carrow Road has changed out of all recognition since then and it has been an extraordinary 50 years. I''ve seen us win at all the ''big clubs'' and in Munich but the highlight was that wonderful night at Portman Road.

Shame that this is one of the few seasons when there is little to play for with a few games to go. Next season......[/quote]
There wasn''t anything to play for that first season either. And it had been the same for a few seasons and would be the same for a few more. At least you got to see Peter Vasper in his prime......
We loved those days so why not these?
This picture was from 1959 but it was the same in the 60s. Boys 2/- or the equivalent of 10p in the riverend back then. I wonder what they charged girls.....
Norwich City supporters queue for tickets for their FA Cup semi-final against Luton after the 3-2 win over Sheffield United.

Congratulations Dylan.I know I went to my first game in 1967 or 1968 but don''t know exactly when, so I''ll miss (or have missed) my 50th anniversary.[:(]

If I remember correctly Dylan, we were two nil down in that game. Chris Garland, the blonde, playing for Brizzle.

I''m sure Albert Bennett, 25 years ahead of his time, scored for us.

(His boots I meant)

[quote user="Sweep"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]My first visit to Carrow Road for a 3-2 victory over Bristol City. It cost the modern equivalent of 12.5 pence to get in. There are a huge number of negative posts on this site but Norwich City has been the one constant thing in my life since that day. Carrow Road has changed out of all recognition since then and it has been an extraordinary 50 years. I''ve seen us win at all the ''big clubs'' and in Munich but the highlight was that wonderful night at Portman Road.

Shame that this is one of the few seasons when there is little to play for with a few games to go. Next season......[/quote]Firstly congratulations, a true ''Golden Oldie''.Secondly there''s always something to play for, and some new talent to see showing what they can do, and what lies ahead.Onel looks to be an exciting prospect, Sir Benny similarly looks to be finding his feet and next season we''ll see a few off the youngsters breaking through. Not as some seasons, but these pauses make the highs that much better.And if you are having a ''couple'' later don''t kick off or throw up in (the bog) or get involved in some scrimmage.. just steady on old fella.[/quote]

Oh God, I''m a Golden Oldie.

I can`t ever remember paying to get in until my late teens, before that.... I used to get lifted over the turnstile by my Dad with a nod and a wink to the guy behind the wireOr let in the old police entrance by my mates Dad who was a copperOr we used to hang around till half time when they opened then gate to the Barclay and saw the second half for freeWas it one up and one down then, cant remember, but definitely no play offs, so not much to play for most seasons around now.

No Nigel, it''s not me in the queue.

KG it couldn''t have been Bennett because he didn''t come here until 1969. I think it was John Manning.

[quote user="ricardo"]No Nigel, it''s not me in the queue.

KG it couldn''t have been Bennett because he didn''t come here until 1969. I think it was John Manning.[/quote]
Reckon it was John Manning and that Bristol game was shortly after we got knocked out of the cup at Chelsea. Here''s Manning from that game...
Shhhhhh ... Don''t tell Kathy.......

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]My first visit to Carrow Road for a 3-2 victory over Bristol City. It cost the modern equivalent of 12.5 pence to get in. There are a huge number of negative posts on this site but Norwich City has been the one constant thing in my life since that day. Carrow Road has changed out of all recognition since then and it has been an extraordinary 50 years. I''ve seen us win at all the ''big clubs'' and in Munich but the highlight was that wonderful night at Portman Road.

Shame that this is one of the few seasons when there is little to play for with a few games to go. Next season......[/quote]
There wasn''t anything to play for that first season either. And it had been the same for a few seasons and would be the same for a few more. At least you got to see Peter Vasper in his prime......
We loved those days so why not these?
This picture was from 1959 but it was the same in the 60s. Boys 2/- or the equivalent of 10p in the riverend back then. I wonder what they charged girls.....
Norwich City supporters queue for tickets for their FA Cup semi-final against Luton after the 3-2 win over Sheffield United.
[/quote]

Peter Vasper, how c..p was he. Anybody else remember :

CLAP HANDS, HE COMES VASPER - and he would miss the ball

KG it couldn''t have been Bennett because he didn''t come here until 1969. I think it was John Manning.

In that case, I''m thinking of a different match. I''m thinking of the 1971 game.

John Manning.

Come on without, come on within

"Oh God, I''m a Golden Oldie."only in the sense that 50 years is a golden anniversary

Goal scorers were Curran and Manning! We sold Hugh Curran to Wolves not long afterwards

Hughie Hughie LaLaLa.

Scored for Scotland against England.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Goal scorers were Curran and Manning! We sold Hugh Curran to Wolves not long afterwards

Hughie Hughie LaLaLa.

Scored for Scotland against England.[/quote]

And the EDP headline ''Shush, you know Hugh''

[quote user="ricardo"]No Nigel, it''s not me in the queue.

KG it couldn''t have been Bennett because he didn''t come here until 1969. I think it was John Manning.[/quote]Nice picture Nutty. Half of ''em taking selfies by the look of it.Nothing changes....[;)]