Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

A dream...or not?

Fleming to be dropped, Davenport to partner Shackell...leaving Mr Andy Hughes as our new captain...

But anyway,

I have been fairly quiet lately...but I was resolute in my defence of NW''s signings this summer, and I think I''m starting to be proved right. 

As with all new players, they take time to gel; to get used to the new environment, a new area for their families to live in, new training regimes, new standards of discipline, new styles of play, new characters and personalities to deal with...Unfortunate injuries have hampered some, but when you see the quality Colin possesses, or the steel Hughes brings that we''ve been missing for a long time, and the quality that Marney has you can have no doubts we''ve signed good players...better players than what we had before. These players will get better too...Colin will explode as the best right back we''ve had for a long, long time in a month or two...mark my words!

The sheer madness in calling for the sacking of our most successful manager in some time baffled me...I don''t know what some fans expected, but I''d like to see the steady progression we''ve seen over the past 4/5 years continue for a few more seasons yet.

What I don''t want is for our club to have a knee-jerk reaction...and they wont, because they''re good, sensible and honest people.

Keep believing because we''ll be in the hunt for this title...and who knows, it could just be that 20% extra that us fans can give the team that pushes us over the line ahead of anyone else...

Bring on Watford!

Yes agree with what you say Campbell,

When Hughes was signed, Worthy went to great lengths to extoll his leadership qualities !

It could be he had him earmarked then as next captain.

Agreed. I think the quality of signings was proved on Saturday, when we were without Huckerby. We won 2-0 and be honest, did we REALLY miss him?  We had full backs attacking, the midfield passing and with McVeigh showing us that he CAN partner Deano, there really is no need to panic. 

That said, tonight will be a tougher test altogether and we will know more about our new squad around 10pm tonight.

OTBC

You lot a so blind, Fleming has been easily the best defender so far this season & Shackell has found it tough going. Teams are putting a battering ram on Shacks every week to play on his inexperience & to be fair he has stood up quite well in what is a steep learning curve. Flem has done nothing wrong but yet again we have to have a fall guy if Flem was not in the team it would be someone else to criticise. If the season stopped today Fleming would be my player of the season.

[quote]You lot a so blind, Fleming has been easily the best defender so far this season & Shackell has found it tough going. Teams are putting a battering ram on Shacks every week to play on his inexperi...[/quote]

"You lot" ? Charming I''m sure !

However I watched Flem closely on saturday, he worked hard admittedly ,but every time he won the ball he invariably put it back to an opponent and promptly had to work even harder to defend a new attack.

Player of the season ? I don''t think so.

Player of the season(!) is a little extreme.

I was one of the many Flem critics last season because he was by far our worst player. However, this season he hasn''t really put a foot wrong, where as Shackell has been nervy and unpredictable at times.

I won''t be too dissapointed to see Flem remain in the team ''cos the guys doing OK.

[quote]You lot a so blind, Fleming has been easily the best defender so far this season & Shackell has found it tough going. Teams are putting a battering ram on Shacks every week to play on his inexperi...[/quote]

POTS for flem - a dream or not - IMO simply a dream but we each have our own opinion...

POTS so far is a competition between Greeno and Safri with the Moroccan edging it. 

Best defender award is comfortably won by Shacks despite not hitting his usual high standards over the last couple of games - but still better than his partner on all conceivable defending criteria.  But thas just my opinion.  

OTBC

[quote]Player of the season(!) is a little extreme. I was one of the many Flem critics last season because he was by far our worst player. However, this season he hasn''t really put a foot wrong, where as Sh...[/quote]

Don''t think Flem was our worst player last season but I see where you are coming from. Apart from that I agree with you.

I apologise if I put my point nastily, but I just don''t see the point of criticising Flem for the sake of it. I wanted him out of the team last year cause I felt he was weak but at this level he''s fine & is a good rock to have. I am delighted with the signing of Davenport & potentially Shacks & Davenport could be great, but just for the time being I would be loathe to drop Flem.

Fleming gets a lot of unfair stick, he isn''t as bad as some say, but the bottom line is he is the senior defender, and the defence as a unit isn''t working effectively, so he isn''t doing his job fully. Whether Davenport is the guy to change this I don''t know, but I wouldn''t be dropping Shacks right now. Even with his mistakes (which he was making last season too, he is still young and inexperienced) he looks more composed and assured than Flem and he wins so much in the air.

The only new signing yet to convince me is Marney.

Bit of a surprise as he has had good reviews, just hasn''t impressed me on my two visits to FCR this year!

IF (big IF) Flamming was dropped at any point (and I don''t think it will be tonight or Sunday) Shacks would take the leadership reigns for the back line, mark my words. But not for the team. Hughes would be given the captaincy, and rightly so. Whenever I have seen him he has been rallying the troops, always vocal always busy - a great example to the team. I think it might be in Worthy''s mind that next season Hughes takes over as capt and 2 or 3 seasons later the captaincy goes to Shacks.

[quote]IF (big IF) Flamming was dropped at any point (and I don''t think it will be tonight or Sunday) Shacks would take the leadership reigns for the back line, mark my words. But not for the team. Hughes wo...[/quote]

You are spot on there Crazy E - Hughes is excellent at the man management/encouragement bit and seems the most natural replacement to flem as captain if the unexpected happens.

He seems a natural people person as demonstrated by his lap of FCR at the end of each game - simple but effective.

OTBC  

[quote]The only new signing yet to convince me is Marney. Bit of a surprise as he has had good reviews, just hasn''t impressed me on my two visits to FCR this year![/quote]

im with you, he hasnt done it all for me, hes ment to be premiership quality..... but has looked far from it for me. Although he isnt the type of player to take people on, he doesnt look that great on the wing. Looked good at both right back and in the centre but right wing has just not done it for him at the moment. Either buck your ideas up marney or let mcveigh have a go!

Hughes for me has been a great player for us this season, and definately the best signing so far. He has started making those foward runs we have missed since francis left, and its all starting to come together now. Hughes is our push foward, although i wouldnt mind him being captain he wouldnt be my first choice.

I would choose safri, but at times he loses his cool, so it has to go to either drury again, or shackell, probably drury as he has done the job before and decided himself to stop being captain.