Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Adam Idah - Manchester United monitor the 'New Zlatan Ibrahimovic'

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The whiff of a cash lump sum of a million or two and he will be gone.[/quote]You are a real Eeyore!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Bitter.....[/quote]I''d rather a Scotch please, with the weather being unsettled.[:D]

Well if there is any truth in this so glad that you two think his head would not be turned by the prospect of joining one of the biggest clubs in Europe or the world for that matter and likewise the nice earner for our finances.There was me thinking that Webber & Stone were moving towards a policy of producing youngsters to help balance the books.

I could say play the post and not the poster [;)] Maybe an opinion on what will happen if there is any truth in the story ? I have given my opinion on the topic based on looking at the bigger picture.

It''s just the automatic and predictable negativity Til...you seem to be obsessed with the fact that we are committed to not taking on big debt. Safe standing - "cant afford it;" great prospect - "we''ll sell him;" no doubt if we get promoted you''ll be moaning about the seasons of struggle ahead of us followed by relegation. I''m sure that you are a dedicated and loyal fan but it does seem to have had a scarring effect upon your world view!If you want help in this, I''m not sure that an under 18 is contractually obliged to us anyway [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I could say play the post and not the poster [;)] Maybe an opinion on what will happen if there is any truth in the story ? I have given my opinion on the topic based on looking at the bigger picture.[/quote]I always play the post. In this case:The whiff of a cash lump sum of a million or two and he will be gone.Based on what? The club recent record has been pretty good on getting very respectable transfer fees for players leaving - Snodgrass, Pilkington, Johnson, Brady, Howson etc. I cannot offhand think of one player we have let go at an obviously lower than adequate price.Secondly if  Idah really is that good (or even if he isn''t THAT good, but still pretty good) then not only would  a balanced post have paid tribute to the club for beating other clubs to his signature, that would have been the main point to make, with anything else subsidiary.

I''m still waiting for some credit for beating so many other clubs for Maddison''s signature.
I never met a bitter person who was thankful. Or a thankful person who was bitter....

What kind of money we''d get would highly depend on what kind of contract he''s on- youth football is a confusing place.

Look, nothing''s going to please old Plod at the moment. He''s going to stand there and stamp his feet, regardless.

Presuming its an under 18 contract King I guess it would likely be a compo decision?

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]Likened to both Ibrahimovic, Kane and Robbie Keane. So basically he''s a striker then.[/quote]No, he''s a very tall, tall, short striker.

Well done the club and scouting system for picking him up, presumably from under the noses of Man U who always used to have a great scouting set up in Ireland.

I’ve watched him in the u18s and he does stand out. Firstly, he is bigger and stronger than most of the other lads. He’s also quick, direct and has a real air of belief in his own ability.

It’s always difficult to pick a player and say that “they’ll make it” but along with the Norwegian lad that played in central midfield and the full back (Aarons?), definitely looked the most likely.

That’s the kiss of death for them....

Are you allowed to sign youngsters to long term contracts?

Duncan, I completely agree with how difficult it is to pick out youngsters as future first team players - I''d have said McGeehan, Adeyemi and Toffolo were destined for greater things with us but none have really progressed. Admittedly Adeyemi has done ok elsewhere. Equally for balance, both Murphys have proven that their promise at youth level will take them to a high standard. Where does Idah compare to those names?

@Hoegsar

I honestly haven''t got a clue.

My understanding is you can''t sign a pro contract until you''re 17 but you can have a pre-contract in place. However I know a bunch of new rules around youth football came in which made it much easier for category 1 clubs to poach youngsters for much smaller fees.

It''s a murky world out there.

Shamefully I also usually get my understanding of which of the young lads is considered the brightest prospects from Football Manager which hasn''t led me too far wrong so far. Of this latest crop they seem very keen on Max Aarons.

i would give him a go in the 1st team i am a great believer if one striker is not scoring you rotate your front line until you find one that does if that means going to under 23''s or under 18''s then so be it we must have a striker who can find the back of the net at the club

playing a striker who has hardly scored this season will teach us nothing for next season but finding a gem might

Woodman.

It’s equally difficult to compare different players at such a young age. There’s such a gulf between how the kids have developed mentally, physically etc. For instance, I’d have bet my bottom dollar that Josh was always way ahead of his twin but once Jacob had gone away, played tough competitive football and worked hard on and off the pitch, it was he that the big money came for.

At this stage I’d say that Idah is ahead of them in terms of physical development - he’s a strong lad. He appeared similar to Josh in terms of his belief in his skills and ability to get him out of tight situations and create something from nothing, but, one such venture against Newcastle cost us a goal. He produced a fantastic piece of skill to beat a player but then tried “one too many” got dispossessed in a bad area with players committed and they broke and scored.

As you’d expect, it’s raw. But there is a spark there that makes you think he could push on. I always rated Carlton Morris at the same age; strong held the ball well, brought players into the game. Idah has a bit of that but perhaps has a touch more “x factor” (can’t believe I just wrote that).

As I said before though, anything could happen - Ravel Morrison was the next Pele according to some pretty shrewd judges and he now plays in Mexico.

Certainly one I’d keep an eye on along with Thorvaldsson (he’s Icelandic; I think I accused him of being Norwegian before..) and Max Aarons.

That said, maybe it will be Fleming, Spyrou or Payne? Or none of them. Such an inexact science but with so much focus being aimed towards the academy and young players, the hope is that we really maximise the talent at our disposal. Something that perhaps we haven’t managed consistently in the past; after all, didn’t Ryan Jarvis play at every/many England level as a kid before ending up in Lowstuff?

One of Worthingtons weaknesses was his work bringing young players through. In Jarvis, Haynes and Henderson we had three young strikers with some proper talent but Worthington kept shunting them out wide whenever he played them.