Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Maddison 25M

I think its more of a case we will want to sell instead of Maddison wanting to leave.

Simply put £25mil is a massive amount for the club at the minute, the squad lacks depth in areas so that money can plug the gaps and buy quality players for the key areas. I guess we can also then shift other high earners for ''less'' money.

However, if it is a Tottenham/Chelsea/Man City/Liverpool who come in for him we may be able to try and get him back on loan for the season.

I think most of us would accept £25mil and another season of Maddison?

Seems unlikely anyone would want to loan him back.

If he was 2 or 3 years younger and for a smaller fee then maybe.

Personally I think he''s ready for the next step up in his career and I''m gutted it won''t be with us. I can see him going to Leicester or Spurs, possibly when Mahrez or Alli move on (the former is more likely).

Jordan Pickford is a fair, but indirect, comparison. £30m to Everton from Sunderland last season, is the going rate for a young English player destined for the full England team. He''s also under contract with us until 30.6.2021 with a 1 year option beyond that.

I agree with the Beckham comparison, he moves like him, passes like him and scores like him. Someone mentioned that he (Maddison) lacks pace - Beckham was never lightning quick either.

Leicester would seem about right.

Don''t overly agree with the Beckham comparisons other than set pieces/deliveries.

Have to agree GJP and Woodman. I think it''s wishful thinking to imagine him coming back on loan. He''ll be 22 before the year is out. Look at the dozens his age and younger currently establishing themselves in the top flight. He''s only a few months younger than Dele Alli. If he went to one of the big six and subsequently out on loan, it''ll be to a lower PL team, just like Kasey Palmer, Loftus Cheek, etc. who have been loaned out from likes of Chelsea. He obviously loves being here, but for his own ambitions, he surely has to take the next step asap. He''s ready for top flight football. It''ll surely be to one of the top 6 or one of the few sides you would currently class as safe mid-table, like Leicester / Everton.

Think he’ll end up at a Burnley/West Ham/Southampton/Watford sized club. Fee somewhere around £18m.

He has played 100 senior games already and clubs will question just how much more he’ll develop from here on. He’s a great player but not at the level required for a top 6 club.

People are comparing to Becks, but by the same age he’d played 50 times for Man U and 3 times for England. If Maddison was doing what he is doing now, but was 18/19 then he’d be the £25m/£30m player some have him rated as.

I personally compare him to someone like Will Hughes - constantly touted for Liverpool etc for £20m+, but they never actually made a bid. Eventually ended up at Watford for £8m (although that was partly due to an expiring contract). It isn’t just about being good enough for a top 6 club, it is also about being better than what they currently have or can get for the same amount of money elsewhere.

[quote user="Woodman"]Personally I think he''s ready for the next step up in his career and I''m gutted it won''t be with us. I can see him going to Leicester or Spurs, possibly when Mahrez or Alli move on (the former is more likely).

Jordan Pickford is a fair, but indirect, comparison. £30m to Everton from Sunderland last season, is the going rate for a young English player destined for the full England team. He''s also under contract with us until 30.6.2021 with a 1 year option beyond that.

I agree with the Beckham comparison, he moves like him, passes like him and scores like him. Someone mentioned that he (Maddison) lacks pace - Beckham was never lightning quick either.[/quote]

I agree with the Beckham comparison too - not just for the free kicks, but his whole attitude. He even wears the same number as Beckham did, so clearly models his game on Beckham. The main difference is that Beckham played wide a lot of his career and Maddison hasn''t - as yet.  The feature of Beckham''s wide game was the quality of crosses he put in and the curl he put on them.  Early crosses very accurately placed cause mayhem in defence - I''m pretty sure Maddison could do that too if played wide. Could he get regular starts in a mid to top prem side? I don''t know, but imo he isn''t an Mahrez or Alli type player - he is very very good but lacks the physicality/pace to be those type of players.   I''ll be shot down for this, but imo, his success at the top level could depend on him playing a wider role than we have seen at present. Beckham could ony get into the MU side playing wide most of the time - Maddison may have to follow suit.....or he could just be a very good player for us.   One thing is sure, if he gets transferred into the PL, the competition for places in a team would be very fierce - and he may not get the chances to play as much as some seem to think.   

I can''t believe someone thinks he''s better than Dele Alli. Let''s have some perspective.

What Bethnal said. And the Will Hughes comparison is one I have also used.

@Bethnal

I kind of see where you''re coming from but with Hughes he also had a fairly awful knee injury that kept him out for a whole season. Maddison has been pretty good in that respect.

I''m also not sure I agree ith that idea that because he''s played more games that teams won''t think he can improve. He is still only 21 and I believe has a lot of developing to do.

hogesar wrote the following post at 29/03/2018 3:07 PM:

I can''t believe someone thinks he''s better than Dele Alli. Let''s have some perspective.

He might be, Ali has not flourished, who knows how far Madders could progress. Its not a matter of perspective, its just wait and see,

Not the same kind of player but Dele is only a few months older and is a fully established first team player at a top 6 club and has 20+ England caps.

Plus Spurs thought highly enough of him to snap him up when he was 18.

[quote user="king canary"]"If he was German or Italian he would already be a regular international and the man the team is built around."

Errrm, what? No he wouldn''t.[/quote]

Take a look at the ages of the Italian team at Wembley this week. They and the Germans consistently blood their internationals at a much younger age than England - we don''t trust our young players enough.

England have no playmaker in their squad - certainly no one with Maddisons ability to see a pass or score from dead balls. The nearest PL player I can liken him to is Eriksen, which is probably why he won''t go to Spurs.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]£25 million and he will be gone as that will fill an awful lot of holes in the finances even allowing for the highly likely departures off the payroll of others. The loss of parachute payments next season should not be under estimated in the big picture of revenue streams.[/quote]

So if you own a car worth £10,000 you''d sell it for £5,000 because you have a deficit of £7,000? No - you''d try to get at least the £7,000.

We are told our deficit is £34m - that should be our minimum price.

Ever tried selling a car? You''ll soon discover the market price. And £34m is more than I reckon the market will stand.

The market doesn''t give a monkey''s how big our deficit is, only the value of the asset they''re purchasing.

@sgncfc

Show me when Germany or Italy have built their team around a player who has never played top division football.

Agree with the Beckham comparisons, there is an uncanny similarity there. Touted with way too many of the top clubs not to join one I feel, and then will perhaps go on loan to a Southampton/West Ham etc, imo. And he most certainly has the ability to do so, he’s already improved on his time at Aberdeen in one short year so logic tells me his trajectory is more likely to rise rather than hit a standstill. Still not the finished product yet, and I would definitely go with the consensus that he’s too good for the lower Prem but time will tell.

Still retain hope we can keep him for one more season and top it off with promotion - then who knows?

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="TIL 1010"]£25 million and he will be gone as that will fill an awful lot of holes in the finances even allowing for the highly likely departures off the payroll of others. The loss of parachute payments next season should not be under estimated in the big picture of revenue streams.[/quote]

So if you own a car worth £10,000 you''d sell it for £5,000 because you have a deficit of £7,000? No - you''d try to get at least the £7,000.

We are told our deficit is £34m - that should be our minimum price.[/quote]We lose about £30m or so in income in the 2018-19 season compared with this, but the club has been cutting the wage bill accordingly, so the deficit will not be that high. And as Ron Obvious says, our need, however many millions it amounts to, is hardly going to be taken seriously by buying clubs. What might get taken seriously would be interest from several competing clubs.