Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Gunn

Just read the article speculating on Gunn''s future next year, and the more I think about it the more I feel we''ve a solid chance of keeping him next season, if Stoke and Celtic are indeed the other clubs interested. Stoke, seeing as they have the likely England World Cup no.1 in Butland on their books, doesn''t seem likely to me - Personally I think Gunn is a better ''keeper but I don''t see him displacing Butland next season, and Guardiola isn''t going to loan Gunn out to sit on the bench - If he''s not getting first team action it won''t happen.

Celtic is a weird one, obviously a bigger club and with the potential of playing a handful of games in Europe - but Pep will presumably want him facing the strongest possible opposition week in week out, and the league games in Scotland won''t do anything for his development. Besides Celtic themselves all of the other SPL clubs they would face are of a lower standard than pretty much anyone in the Championship. Rangers and Aberdeen might just about be equivalent to top end of L1/bottom of Championship level, but realistically none of the other clubs in there would be anywhere close to the quality Gunn would face if he stayed next season. Unless another Premier League side comes calling, I think another season with us is likely the best option for his development.

Plenty of time for a better option to reveal it''s self though.

I think we need be fully prepared for Remi to step up, not a disastrous option should Gunn want away or Man. City find somewhere they feel is a better fit one year on.

Remi Matthews would be less expensive, no doubt, as well.

I don''t think Butland will be England number 1- my money is on Pickford.

If he went to Celtic he would get European experience which may in part make up for the league not being that strong.

I have no how his wages are managed which may have a bearing but there is a definite link to the club that may just persuade him that another season isn''t going to harm him.

Although a permanent move to another club might persuade him.

Butland may want a move if Stoke are relegated of course although I don''t think it will affect his England chances.

Hart was being picked while in Italy and Gunn himself joined the squad while with us,

Someone who I sit near at Carrow Road often seems to know what''s happening at the club (no idea on his source, but has a positive track record). He claimed early in the season that the deal for Gunn was provisionally for two seasons, Norwich had reservations about having a loan keeper and it was part of the negotiations.

Gunn exhibits a goal-keeping maturity beyond his years. Clearly in his blood via the old man.

I thought his signing risky at the time. A rookie youngster with limited experience being lined up for what I had anticipated would be a more successful season than has transpired (new approach, the German model, parachutes etc.)

I now have a dilemna of sorts as I always think that it is always the wrong path to follow when a promising youngster is kept out of the first team by a loanee.

I accept that Remi Matthews might need one more season (as a number two) and that keeping Gunn for that season might benefit us more, but feel it is not clear cut.

Depends how Matthews has progressed, I suppose, and by all accounts he has highly impressed at fairly high flying L1 side Plymouth whilst on loan there.

For sure he has had his fair share of being loaned out, the length and breadth of the land.

The problem is that the ''promising youngster'' Matthews is actually 2 years OLDER than Gunn and is now 24 - surely if he is not ready now then when will he be ready?

Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger on a promising young player.

There were people saying Josh needed more time out on loan despite having had a full season at Championship level with MK Dons.

If I was Matthews and after impressing for a team only about 15 places below us in the footballing pyramid I was dispatched back out on loan again while we signed another number 1 I''d question my future.

It would be a major coup to keep Gunn here for next season but if Celtic are interested i think they may well hold the ace card. With Stoke quite possibly joining us in The Championship next year what would be the point of a sideways switch ?As For Remi how people can make a judgement that he is ready to step up i am struggling to see where that has come from and based on what exactly ?

Matthews is still that ''promising youngster'' in goal-keeper terms.

Gunn is exceptional and that''s why he is on Manchester City''s books and not ours.

Has Matthews had a chance to shine for the yellow, he seems permanently out on loan? Not one appearance for our club, all loans.

Either we want him on our books and as a future first-teamer or we don''t, but he deserves a chance, even as number two,

by now.

It is often stated that one of the draw-backs of being in the Premier League is that it inhibits the progress of youngsters towards the first team and are then loaned out ad infinitum.

As I said, a dilemna. One more season of Gunn, if on the cards, then on to Matthews or otherwise sell and credit the academy.

He''s quality. Best ''keeper we have had in a long time.

Would be very nice to see him here beyond this season.

Would love to see Gunn sign again for another season, ideally on a permanent (unlikely though) but. like Maddison, his outstanding form in an average season for us has alerted many clubs and it wouldn''t surprise me to see a Premier League team try to sign him up, but it''d be unlikely he''d be number one. In which case surely he is better off staying here for another season, getting another 50 or so games under his belt and then seeing what happens at the end of next season? I can see him staying.

Though admittedly if he''s only on loan, it does beg the question when are we going to give our own player Remi Matthews a chance? We could have a Declan Rudd situation on our hands again.

In sum, if Gunn does move on then it''s make or break for Remi then.

I really think that one or two on this thread are understating his ability, but I get the point.

For amusement only:-

Apparently some binners think that their only big asset, their ''keeper Bart ...... has delayed signing a new contract until MM''s future is resolved. He''s a big McCarthy fan apparently.

He could now be on the market. If Matthews is deemed not ready a bid of £2m might get us this Polish international.

Stranger things have happened.

If Angus stays that would likely mean us having to find another second keeper as I doubt McGovern will want to spenf another season bench warming - as I doubt Mathews would either.If Angus leaves then I feel sure Mathews would be able to step up, given the reports he has been getting, but would still leave us wanting a second keeper.Much is out of our hands regarding Angus, but I''m fairly certain whatever way it is both clubs have sorted this out by now.As to Bart (bin keeper) it would suggest that he has already agreed a better paid move elsewhere and knows that being a free agent puts him in a better position as far as any signing fee goes.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]So you know the contract deals of 1p5wich players as well now? Very impressive.[/quote]oh dearoh dearie mecheck the word in bright red, it qualifies things"As to Bart (bin keeper) it would suggest that he has already agreed a better paid move elsewhere"Just as much lower attendances at poorman road would suggest that the fans are not happy with the playing style. It is a suggestion based on what is known, that is all.

What is it that you know that has prompted you to suggest that he has agreed a better paid move elsewhere?

Do you remember that wind up Captain Canary I likened you too before?