Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Davenport and Shackell?

How many supporters believe that Worthy will partner Davenport and Shackell, or will it be the old faithful Fleming and Davenport.  Please let it be Shackell that partners him, and we might at long last have a fortress Carrow Road.

I don''t see the sense of this, except as cover. Shackell is playing well and is clearly a key player for the future. Fleming has been pretty sound all year and we probably do need his experience at the moment with Colin learning at right back too.

Davenport is obviously highly rated and regarded by Tottenham so there is no chance of a longer term move here, and I would have thought that the key to the back 4 is building a consistent unit who are used to playing together?

Never say never huck tastic, if we start climbing the table and are in the top 6 by January Davenport could extend his loan and if we get promoted why wouldnt he make it perminant, at Spurs he is behind King, Dawson, Naybet, Huddlestone so he could be interested, however thats looking a bit far ahead. Worthy is in my good books at the moment but if he drops Shackell for Davenport I will never forgive him, IMO the only option is a Davenport/Shackell centre pairing.

Green

Colin Davenport Shackell Drury

Marney Hughes Safri Brennan

Ashton McViegh

From what Ive heard Watford like to play the long ball over the top for Marlon King to chase but with both Davers and Shacks at 6"4 we should be able to handle it. OTBC.

It MUST BE SHACKLE AND DAVENPORT!!!!

For god sakes flemming is experienced, yes we all know!!!

BUT HE IS TOO SMALL!!! as a centre back and hes starting to get on a bit. Makes too many mistakes on corners and can''t head the ball past the midfield. You''ve had you day two seasons ago mate! SORRY

1. Give the captains badge to SAFRI - he''ll get''em going!!!! Have some passion! (even Hughes showed that on saturday!)

2. put flemming in the reserves

3. Give lisbie the full 80-90mintues, lets see what he is like from the start. Keep Mcviegh on the bench incase Lisbie is cr*p.

4. Build a defensive back line of : Shackle, Davenport, Dury or Charlton and Lewis John or Jurgen Colin.

5. If Davenport is good with Shackle and in DEC 05 we want him then maybe we can get him for around 2m. he was 3m but hasn''t been playing for spurs and is down the pecking order.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Excellent signing, have always rated this guy. Don''t care whether he plays with Shacks or carthorse although I''d prefer him to be partnered with Shacks I can''t see it. He will improve the defence whoever he is with.

Well Mr Tastic...I agree with you...but maybe Worthy is looking at a long term replacement for Flem and is hoping short term deal = long term move, in the mode of Hucks...I have a feeling we might see him rotate those 3 a bit...Shackell is young and no doubt the time will come when he needs to be rested...Doc''s days look numbered though.

[quote]I don''t see the sense of this, except as cover. Shackell is playing well and is clearly a key player for the future. Fleming has been pretty sound all year and we probably do need his experience at th...[/quote]

Not sure I agree with your comments on Fleming - he''s been anything but sound this season and has caused Shackell to cover for his mistakes on numerous occasions. He is the problem not the solution. His experience doesn''t seem to be doing him any good as he still wanders out of position, forgetting who he was marking.I don''t see how Worthy can justify dropping Shackell and he won''t drop his captain at this stage so it looks like Davenport will be a benchwarmer until Worthy catches up with the rest of us and finally drops Fleming.

There is no way in the world that Davenport will replace Fleming.  If I have learnt anything else from Worthington (and I haven''t) it''s that he will never replace his precious ''O Captain My Captain''.  If anything Davenport will replace Shack or sit on the bench.

I would like to see a Shack/Davenport partnership to see how they work together, but I think it may be a touch inexperienced.  Davenport is an excellent player, but it is difficult to see where he would lie in Worthy''s plans. 

I don''t want to get shot down here but.... Am I the only one who thinks Shacks has had a bit of a shakey start to the season?  Don''t get the wrong, he''s played alright and his potential is immence.  But I''d rather see Davenport play with Flem.  At times Shacks has looked a bit dodgy. 

Just me?

Shackell has not been as good this season and if anything he is getting worse with each game.  He is part of NCFC future but we shouldn''t be blind to him having bad games as I think some of us seem to be.  Davenport sound like a good signing.  Fleming has been good this season.  I''d go with Flem and Davenport.

No way in a million years Davenport will play in front of Fleming, and IMO rightly so. Fleming has done better than Shackell this season, and although it wont do Shackell''s confidence much good, i''m afraid it will be him if anyone who makes way.

As for Davenport returning after 3 months, i''m not as sure. If you look at Spurs'' back line, its packed with good centre-backs - ie, King,Gardner, Dawson, Huddlestone, Naybet, Bunjevic. I think theres a chance of a permanent move on if he does well

I can only judge Shacks on his performance against Plymouth, when he looked pretty solid to me but did make a couple of mistakes - one he recovered from very well, the other one Flem hoofed clear. I do rate Shacks and his mistakes will lessen with experience.

I would have wanted someone a bit older than Davenport to partner Shacks, someone with the ability to lead the defence but with pace too. Individually our defenders looked OK on Saturday, but as a unit they didn''t - you have to blame the senior man Fleming for that, and he always seems unwilling to push up meaning we defend too deep. I would have preferred someone to come in to help correct those faults and I''m not sure Davenport, at his young age, is the man for that.

Davenport has always looked good for England, and I think he is a great signing for the future if we can keep him. Whether he can help with our immediate defensive issues I don''t know. Perhaps Worthy doesn''t think Doc is providing Shacks with enough competition for his place (all players need to compete for their place) and that is why he is here, or maybe Worthy is thinking about dropping Flem.

I just don''t buy into this Worthy ''favouritism'' line, he dropped Drury last season when he was team captain, and will drop Fleming if he thinks it is right to do so. Whether a pairing of Davenport and Shacks is the right pairing I don''t know, time will tell!

My gut feeling is Davenport will start on the bench. If Flem, or Shacks has a mare, then Davenport will take over for the Scum game on Sunday.

Like most on here, I would like to see Shacks & Davenport tried together, but surely that''s what the training ground is for - to see which pair works best together. After all, that''s why we''ve got Flem & Shacks at the mo - the Ginger Pele just can''t prove he''s a better option!

My only other comment is on the whole defensive unit. I''ve seen Palace & Plymouth so far this season. Against Palace there was dreadful communication and huge gaps at the back (admittedly it was Colin''s first run out). The whole unit worked better on Saturday - after more time to work together - it might be better not to fiddle for a couple of games. A real understanding between the back four can be better than throwing in a new player, even if his quality IS better.

[quote]Never say never huck tastic, if we start climbing the table and are in the top 6 by January Davenport could extend his loan and if we get promoted why wouldnt he make it perminant, at Spurs he is behi...[/quote]

Huddlestone is a midefield player is he not ???

[quote]No way in a million years Davenport will play in front of Fleming, and IMO rightly so. Fleming has done better than Shackell this season, and although it wont do Shackell''s confidence much good, i''m a...[/quote]

please tell me you are joking...fleming, has not won a header this season - has looked dodgy in tackles and has been caught out for pace and strength about a billion times - shackell is real quality and we need to build our defence around him and jurgen collin - thats where the future lies....not with fleming who is simply not good enough anymore. davenport, colin, shackell, drury - thats the best back 4 imo - flem is not good enough, doc isnt good enough, charlton is too injury prone and not realy strong enough....sidenote also - davenport is 6''4 - do you not think that might help stop us leaking aerial goals which we''ve conceded due to fleming''s lack of height/leap? fleming has been dreadful this season and i hope davenport comes in sooner or later - pref after scum game cuz dont want to disrupt b4 then! altho if flem has YET ANOTHER nightmare then he should be dropped - and what sort of a captain is he? he leads no1!! - give the armband to safri inmo the only viable option!