Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

DAVENPORT IN ON THREE MONTH LOAN

[quote]seems to have had a few clubs, I wonder why?we shall see[/quote]

Eh? He''s had two clubs and one loan spell as far as I''m aware. A very good signing if you ask me and the player we should have gine for instead of Doherty last season

[quote]He has only had two clubs not what i would call alot!!!!!!. A good player but i think he will be on the bench as NW will not drop fleming even if his legs fell off!!!!!!!!.[/quote]

As he wont have trained with the team I too am confident that he will start on the bench tomorrow and, all things being equal, should not play.

Is it bad to hope for a short term minor injury to your club captain?

However will Callum make his debut against the binmen?  Perhaps an omen .. 

OTBC 

Technically he has had 4 clubs, but two were on loan, last season.  Taken from Norwich site (obviously a West Ham fan''s comments):

"Left Coventry City to join Tottenham, then within a week or so shipped out on loan to us. Not many of the fans had to much knowledge about him. He had played in the Coventry team who had recently beaten us 2-1 at Highfield road though. Made his debut in the 2-1 win up at Sheffield United back in September. A giant at the back he looked an excellent prospect and it was gutting that we weren¿t about to keep him on loan for longer as he was arguably the best defender in the entire league. But Tottenham had injuries and wanted him back at the end of November. He went back, then within weeks went on loan to Southampton where he spent most of the time on the bench! Such a waste. Read the game superbly and I don¿t think it is nonsense to suggest that if we had of kept him for the whole season we may have made automatic promotion.
Maybe we will get him back at the club next season either on loan or permanently."

....so quite a decent endorsement; it sounds like he is a pretty decent signing, and a player who can cope up at the top of this league.

I didn''t jump up and down with excitement when I heard we''d signed Davenport.

Wasn''t he part of that aweful defence at Southampton last season that got relegated? According to statistics, he played 12 times for Saints, 3 as a sub before Harry sent him back to Spurs.

I''ll reserve judgement.

He''s an excellent signing, living in the midlands i''ve seen him a few times when he played for coventry and he''s very composed on the ball, strong in the air and very good with his feet.

I was at coventry last season for the norwich v coventry pre season game and he marked svensson out of the game winning everything in the air. So you would think at championship level he will do a pretty good job for us.

Sounds a promising signing to me. Not sure who if any will get dropped straight away if anyone, but will add depth to the squad. Well done Nigel in my opinion. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

Why does it matter how many clubs he''s had? This is a lad who Frank Arnesen - the same person who discovered players like Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Arjen Robben and Cristiano Ronaldo - has taken a shine too, persuaded Spurs to spend £3mil on. This is a lad who had a very good time in this division with West Ham and who didn''t disgrace himself with Southampton.

As said, 6'' 4", former England U21, strong and quick Davenport is a top signing, IMO and one I''m very glad to have on board.

I do, however, think it''ll mean an end to Shackell in the first team for a while.

[quote]I''d be worried if I was Shacks. Worthy won''t drop Fleming and unless Davenport has been brought in as cover only, Shacks seems like the fall guy here.[/quote]

I have to agree with you weston - which is a shame as despite the glowing reputation of Davenport (which is justified) I rate Shacks at least as good, if not the better, prospect of the two - his handling of prem strikers last season showed his potential while davenports experience is nearly exclusively against championship players.  You have to remember that Shacks has not yet started 30 games for the club.

To drop shacks for davenport is unacceptable, as would paying his wages while he sits on the bench.

OTBC

[quote]This is a very good signing and adds some much needed depth to the squad.[/quote]

He is an excellent signing.

But I am not sure that we needed much more depth at centre back - we already have 4 who could play there, and do so successfully in this league with a bit of leadership and organisation - will an inexperienced player really add that?  And at what price to shacks if dropped?

OTBC

I''m happy enough - he has always looked strong when I have seen him.

Does anyone know if he is right or left footed? That might give us a clue to Worthy''s plans... I believe Shacks and Doc are left footed, Fleming right footed, and Worthy believes in having one of each at the back...

[quote]I''m happy enough - he has always looked strong when I have seen him. Does anyone know if he is right or left footed? That might give us a clue to Worthy''s plans... I believe Shacks and Doc are left f...[/quote]

Does doc have a preferred foot?!?  

To be fair to doc he did look eager and comfortable against leeds & mainly used his right foot - when he played right side of a defensive 3-some 

I do think the foot is a red herring - plenty of team have two right footed central defenders after all., although clearly the preference is to have two good defenders, one left footed and the other right - but the priority is ability to defend.

Not sure what calums preference is though, or whch side he has historically played... 

OTBC

Worthy can''t drop Shackell because the fans will turn hon him even more if we lose more games. It has to be Davenport and Shackell for me because Fleming not the same player he was two years ago