Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Fulham

I don''t know why Fulham should be a a bogey team but the facts speak for themselves and in my long experience home victories against them can be counted on the fingers of one hand.With that in mind it was with no great confidence that I cycled down to CR today hoping that the rain would hold off.[um]I don''t know if Hanley was carrying an injury but it was certainly disappointing to note his omission from the City back line, perhaps the quick succession of Easter games played a part in Farke''s thinking. In any event the opening minutes were consumed with Fulham hogging the ball and City chasing around trying to get a kick. Eventually things settled down a bit but we seemed more than happy to let them come onto us although most of the play became bogged down in the middle third. Apart from one Tim Klose clearance we witnessed fully eight minutes before the ball ventured beyond either eighteen yard line.By the twenty minute mark all we had seen of goalmouth action was a Fulham free kick that was worked across the area only for Gunn to comfortably save  Cairney''s low effort from twenty yards. At the other end Vrancic''s cute ball got Murphy away only for his deflected shot to be scrambled away by Bettinelli. In terms of possession it was the visitors dominating but there was very little threat on the home goal with both Tetty and Reed breaking things up on the edge of our box. Two or three times City almost broke clear of Fulham''s high back line only for the decision making of the final ball to let them down. First it was Vrancic who played a weak ball behind two runners, then it was Murphy, opting to play Srbeny in when Maddison was wide open to his right.Pinto had had a couple of good gallops down the right and on the stroke of halftime it lead to a really good chance and when the ball came across the area I was almost out of my seat only for a Fulham boot to clear the danger. There was generous applause at the whistle for although there had been a lack of goalmouth action it had been none the less an intriguing first half.After a halftime parade of Canaries from every part of the globe bar Van Dieman''s land, the game resumed with City looking a shade more ambitious. They settled quickly and when Srbeny latched on to a through ball an opener looked likely, until his rising shot brought the best out of Bettinelli at the expense of a corner. At last we had a bit of concerted City pressure before the visitors mopped up.It was looking like a first goal wins it sort of game and when Fulham struggled to clear another menacing attack and the ball fell nicely for Murphy''s right foot volley, it seemed we might have reached that point. Unfortunately it whizzed narrowly wide of the far post. At this stage I thought Fulham were beginning to look second best but they rode several periods of danger to suddenly emerge with the lead against the run of play. There was a warning when Gunn, racing out of his box, failed to head the ball away and only Zimmerman''s goal line clearance prevented Sessegnon from scoring. Minutes later Gunn did well to block Mitrovic''s header but this time the ball fell kindly for Johansen to tuck in. Such is the power of the bogey.Disappointing but in the scheme of things, not surprising. City continued to push forward and another good chance went begging when Murphy, again chose the wrong option. At the other end, a couple of minutes later, Fulham showed how it should be done when Cairney calmly picked up a loose ball and slotted it into the corner for two nil and game up. We then had Olly on for Srbeny and Wes on for Tetty and even Edwards was given a last five at the expense of Vrancic.There were one or two desperate shots, Maddison had one blocked and one deflected for a corner while Pinto couldn''t pull the ball back enough when galloping in from the right with players waiting in the middle. Six minutes were added for time wasting and with Fulham happy to run down the clock, we were treated to endless free kicks, throw ins and yellow cards all in a twenty yard square in front of the visiting supporters.So yet another defeat to add to our unimpressive home record but to be honest, having accepted from well before Xmas that we would be going nowhere this season, it was a reasonably enjoyable game to watch. Some nice football from both sides at times and plenty of endeavour but we have rarely looked good enough to threaten the top six and we didn''t today.Top marks from me today go to Alex Tetty.[Y]Oh, and I got wet on the way home.

I think that is pretty much how I saw it Ricardo.

As well as Tettey played he was missing for their goals so he certainly wouldn''t get top marks from me. And Vrancic went walkabout as well. I thought Lewis was our MOTM.

I thought even though we looked more dangerous at times, their brand of football, very much like ours with a big difference, carried more pace in moving the ball around. Ours was neat but mostly slow apart from the odd occasions we did it with pace.

To me it has become like listening to Phillip Glass music. You know what is coming next and what the outcome is.

For all the talent we have on display our final third play is still as woeful as it was at the start of the season. As it goes, you don''t win games unless you score goals, and we failed miserably to do so again yesterday. By any means at times we probably had some of the better chances but always let down by poor decision making when it matters most. I feel for Srbeny and Nelson, with service like that they''ll never score. Still lots to work on for next season, that''s for sure.

As always, thanks Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo.I enjoyed the game as well and thought that we played quite well, with the crucial exception of the "final ball."Agree that Tettey looked outstanding for much of the game, but I blame him for the second goal when he attempted a pass to Pinto in a very advanced position that never looked "on." When it was comfortably intercepted, we were woefully exposed.

Many thanks ricardo

Badger, that''s the problem, which those who wish us to have a gung-ho approach don''t seem to realise. A mistake midway inside the opposition half can rapidly lead to a goal conceded if you''re not careful.

If we''d have had a bit more nous we should have punished Fulham''s similar mistakes long before they scored. It''s the finishing that''s the problem, & I think that''s mostly down to attitude & confidence.

For god''s sake, don''t suggest thst Tettey can''t pass well, you''ll bring out the stats evangelists.

This is a really excellent impartial view - & he''s an Ipswich fan! Very fair, took lots of notes at the game, commented on our strengths & weaknesses with no obvious axe to grind.

- And he thought it was an enjoyable game to watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sru31c1ICZs&feature=youtu.be

[quote user="ron obvious"]This is a really excellent impartial view - & he''s an Ipswich fan! Very fair, took lots of notes at the game, commented on our strengths & weaknesses with no obvious axe to grind.

- And he thought it was an enjoyable game to watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sru31c1ICZs&feature=youtu.be[/quote]Yes, very comprehensive Ron, I doubt if he missed a single incident. but do you really need  need a report that lasts longer than the game?A bit  of brevity wouldn''t come amiss and you don''t need to repeat "Norwich looked like they were set up to contain" half a dozen times in order to give a flavour of the game.All in all I thought he was very fair considering he was an 1p5wich supporter and can only think he was long winded to give the car park time to clear.[:D]

Both goals Tettey is ball watching and doesn''t follow the man who eventually scores. The second one in particular.

The first goal, either he or Vrancic need to go with the runner. Neither of them does. Vrancic doesn''t even try to get back into the box.

It was a decent performance and entertaining game, but probably a bit too comfortable for Fulham. We lacked width on the right save for the odd Pinto run, which limited our offensive play. Thought Tettey and Reed did well and had a very busy afternoon. I think we missed Hanley a lot and he would have a handled Mitrovic better than Klose. I like Timm but not at his best yesterday.

Ron - I agree that finishing (and final ball) is the problem and that much of this is down to confidence.Re the "gung ho" approach - I think we explored that to the nth degree last year. I haven''t seen replays of the goals yet as I''ve been busy, so only speaking from how I saw it at the time.

Very disrespectful to my buddy Rickyyyyyy!

Perhaps you have to keep up Ricardo. Printed word is archaic. Reports such as yours take too long. You have to get home, fire up the laptop, have a quick Bovril and get the report out by 7pm. Then folk have to read it. Big words ''n''all. Where as old Bloomers only has to get in the car and drivel on into his phone for 20 minutes. Will you be moving with the times Rickyyyyyyyy?

No chance Nigel, you can read mine in three or four minutes without the tedious repetition with every non essential throw in enumerated.

As for the video blog, I doubt anyone wants to see me puffing along on my bike up King St.

I bet he doesn''t have to wait long in the car park when he reports on home games.

If he puts his hair cut money in a tin he will have enough for a new car by the time that happens.[:D]

I am really sorry. I didn''t mean to cause any offence. I made my earlier comment merely to draw attention to the YouTube guy''s cool name, which he shares with a very famous American Educational Psychologist / Writer

(quite surreal to hear an Ipswich fan sitting in his car introducing himself as Benjamin Bloom). I didn''t give it a second''s thought after posting.

Of course, Ricardo''s match and AGM reports are also excellent, and a big part of this forum. Please accept my apologies, Ricardo. In future, I will be more careful before posting throw-away comments.