Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Oh woe is me...

Having read all the drivel about Webber this and Webber that I decided to listen to the interview on BBC Radio Norfolk.

I can''t believe how many people are twisting this in to a massive negative against Webber?

He says that the first half of the 0-0 game with Bolton was one of the best performances he has seen by NCFC! He then says if fans don''t agree with that then they should go watch another team... personally I would suggest a change of sport. The performance in that half, although there were no goals - was brilliant. And he says if you don''t like that - you clearly don''t like football!

So Norwich aren''t in the play-off/promotion race and they are clearly not scoring enough - this is a time of transition that is expected to take at least 2 seasons of building. People need to stop being so expectant - no club has the right to expect to win cups/leagues every season - it is simply not possible.

Little old Norwich are adapting and evolving - if you''re not with the club and the new vision then as Webber says - go find another club.

This seems like a very reasonable post Lewis - you''re on the wrong message board.

Exactly.

I''m just disappointed by the negativity currently being aimed at Webber.

Norwich City fans as a generalisation love picking on individuals or making someone a scape goat!

I hope Webber and Farke prove there doubters wrong next season.

"He says that the first half of the 0-0 game with Bolton was one of the best performances he has seen by NCFC! He then says if fans don''t agree with that then they should go watch another team."

When you are in a highly paid, high profile public position you have to consider the implication of your words carefully and make them watertight against mis-interpretation and the causing of offence.

If Webber is not capable of this then he should say less.

Well Lewis, I think you will find out that many of the posters here don''t do anything else than pick out individuals to shoot at...

I''m with you when you argue that it''s not fair to single out Webber...but this season has been uninspiring to say the least.

I just don''t give a f** anymore about the games this season. I had some away games planned (QPR game included) to go to , but thankfully I haven''t been to them and I am not planning to either... Games at the Carra have been cr@p to say the least. Bolton game was not a bad performance...but we still didn''t win...and that''s what the game''s about isn''t it?

Seeing goals scored is what excites fans and Norwich just aren''t doing - so i fully understand the disappointment.

We''re gonna smash it next season! (Sorry attempt at optimism)

Credit to you, for such optimism...but "it''s the hope that kills you" ... I try not to be that expectant , because it''s clear to me that money rules in football now and exceptions to the "money ruling" are few and far between. Just look at Citeh running away with the PL and PSG, Bayern winning their leagues by a country mile (PSG just won the leugue cup in france 4 the fifth time running I read somewhere).

Money seems to rule on this message board too Flecky. But it''s always other people''s money. It''s easy to pontificate and give advice to other people about their money and what we expect from those other people''s money. So much different if it''s their own money when different rules seem to apply.

Money does rule in football. Its no surprise to see that the top 6 is made up of 5 teams that have been heavily invested in over the last 2/3 years. Its only Cardiff bucking the trend.

This trend applies to virtually every league across Europe.

Hopefully Millwall can sneak in to shake it up, but wouldn''t surprise me if it stayed as it is now

Money rules the game, some of that is true...And I would like for Norwich to have the security of a wealthy owner/s pocket dipping.But, do you seriously believe that Barnsley will win the Championship next year? They are rich after all... Or perhaps it will be Bolton, or Birmingham City? Currently languishing in the doldrums of the Championship ''basement''.In reality, all of those clubs owners are wealthy but they''re all at the bottom of the league. Sure, with the right kind of investment in players and manager etc. they may well improve on that next season. Sure, the owners have money to put in. But I don''t think that guarantees anything and a lot of the time they''re not reaching into their pockets, chucking cash at a problem to make it right. That isn''t necessarily good business.The most important thing is finding the right mix of players, creating a team and pushing on when confidence is high. The best way of doing the latter is winning games and getting the crowd behind the team. Under Lambert we didn''t really have any ''star'' players, instead making a team from strong performers in lower leagues. The momentum we had, and confidence, from the League One outings meant we carried that through to the Championship. Then we spunked a load of cash when we thought we had Premier League ''riches'' and we all know how it ended up.Sometimes, we''re blinded by numbers when facts are what we should be concentrating on.

@Bob...

Money doesn''t guarantee success, I never said it does. But at the same time it obviously helps a lot.

For example, we needed a striker & signed Srbeny, but had to sell Jerome. Other teams went out & signed strikers to add to what they already have. Its little things like that we cant compete with

Finally someone talking sense about the Webber interview! I for one thought the Webber interview was spot on and agreed with everything he said. Good post Lewis, well done for talking some sense of this forum!

@NN

"Money seems to rule on this message board too. But it''s always other people''s money.

It''s easy to pontificate and give advise to other people about their money ............ so much different if it''s their own money when different rules seem to apply."

As far as I know nobody on this forum has ever aspired to be a

majority shareholder of Norwich city Football Club

If you elevate yourselves to such lofty heights as Smith and Jones have done then you can reasonably expect to have to put up with expectations of just what you can deliver in return.

This might even include giving financial assistance when

needed.

If they don''t like the heat then get out of the boiler room. Nobody forced them into their current predicament

If you elevate yourselves to such lofty heights as Smith and Jones have done then you can reasonably expect to have to put up with expectations of just what you can deliver in return.

This might even include giving financial assistance when needed.

If they don''t like the heat then get out of the boiler room. Nobody forced them into their current predicament

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Money does rule in football. Its no surprise to see that the top 6 is made up of 5 teams that have been heavily invested in over the last 2/3 years. Its only Cardiff bucking the trend.

This trend applies to virtually every league across Europe.

Hopefully Millwall can sneak in to shake it up, but wouldn''t surprise me if it stayed as it is now[/quote]

I saw the match at Bramall Lane yesterday- Cardiff played crap one dimensional football, whilst the Blades attempted to play the same sort of game that Norwich play, albeit yesterday with a bit more hunger than Norwich have recently! However in the end the 1D football of Colin''s probably got the better result. But god help them in Premier league.

I agree that Webber''s words were ripe for the social warriors to bend to their aims and he could rehearse his words to reporters before he gets in front of them. But this season has been pants, and Farke fails to have a plan B, the biggest failing that Neil before him had.

Olly yesterday was surprised by our line-up, but immediately changed the QPR approach to cut off Hoolahan''s supply. Going 1D worked for them, why wouldn''t it when you have Smith up front and no-one in our midfield seemed able to cut out the supply.

Farke has to adapt; he has the opportunity in the remaining games to have a go in matches as there is nothing to play for other than next season''s preparation. Should we fall behind he has to prove that he can implement a plan B. Without one, he won''t last long next season.

So good it was worth repetition.

I haven''t a clue what happened there, but advice well heeded nevertheless.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]@Bob...

Money doesn''t guarantee success, I never said it does. But at the same time it obviously helps a lot.

For example, we needed a striker & signed Srbeny, but had to sell Jerome. Other teams went out & signed strikers to add to what they already have. Its little things like that we cant compete with[/quote]

I said this after the Fulham game, they signed Mitrovic and we signed Srebny. Mitrovic has scored 7 for Fulham since joining them on 1st Feb.

Little old Norwich are adapting and evolving - if you''re not with the club and the new vision then as Webber says - go find another club.

Is happiness a prerequisite for supporting NCFC?

So you watch a match that is drivel, as was yesterdays, and you are happy about it.

No, you watch a match that was drivel and you discuss the reasons why with your mates or family or as ex pats, on here.

You don''t give credit if it isn''t due.

I like Hugh Jackman (not just because his Mum is a Norwich girl either) in movies. Australia to name one was a very good movie. But his latest one is absolute drivel and most people have said so. It doesn''t mean I won''t watch his next movie.

When the matches that were drivel outnumber those that were good. you tend to look at what is causing the problem.

Well one reason is we don''t score enough goals. And our chief recruiter is surely responsible for that failure. The players can''t help it if they aren''t good enough.

Supporters may well buy into another Phoenix rising from the ashes but they still need something to give them entertainment at least along the way.

I find Webber''s remarks very Roeder like. So what if 45 minutes against Bolton was good. Did the majority of supporters go home thinking of the first half? Probably not. They were probably more disheartened with a team that couldn''t keep it up for the whole match against a team near the bottom.

His job is not condemnation or alienation of supporters. Supporters have the right to moan. Some moan if we lose the toss. On the other hand, some would see Pinto as a genius if we won the toss. It takes all types. And Webber must not align himself with any group of supporters.

Broady, this pontificating on here about how other people spend their money isn''t only about Smith and Jones. Its about how random Chinese people should spend their money. It''s also about other fans and how they should form a consortium to buy the club from Smith and Jones or how they should boycott with their money. But as soon as you mention their money they shy away under ridiculous claims about how they "invest" by buying the most expensive tickets in the universe, even though many of them don''t buy tickets and scratch around to find a free stream....

There''s truth in your remarks Nutty , for instance about the streams and the chinese investment.

I''m not particular pro chinese investment I assure you, but I''ve lost quite a lot of interest in the game as a whole because of the money! I''ll stay a loyal NCFC fan all my life , but I am dissappointed that one of the main reasons we can''t compete is the fooking money...Smith and Jones regardless!

I think there are lots of reasons why people are losing interest in the game as a whole. If games are on the telly I watch the first ten minutes and tend to turn over and watch something else, it’s only NCFC that I’m really interested in now, and don’t even get me started on England.

It isn''t just football where money is the root of many problems.

I couldn''t give two monkeys if a starlet only got $10M for her film role while the matinee idol got $15M.

Most men and women I know get equal pay. It''s called the minimum wage.

@ NN

"Broady, this pontificating on here about how other people spend their money isn''t only about Smith and Jones ......"

Agree but Smith and Jones are currently in the hot seat of their own volition.

Supporters have the right to be upset when they refuse or appear to refuse to "invest" further in the club in times of need, instead they appear to be doing things on the cheap and it isn''t working very well. The "new approach" revolution line will only carry them so far until fans see through the smokescreen if results and performances continue to disappoint.

If we are still "floating" come Xmas, if things on the pitch and results have not improved then not only can I foresee the removal of our coach (at considerable cost?) but also a backlash against the majority shareholders of "Chase out" proportions. They will have overseen a decline in the club''s fortunes one time too many and this time around will not have the Lambert/Holt inspired factor to bail them out.

My own contention will be that overall they have been more lucky than unlucky. First Lambert and then Neil but that they have wasted any good luck by a series of horrendous calls.

Let''s all hope that the German experiment will not be another one. Hope upon hope. To require a team with our recent Premier League history to at least show signs of recovering that status is not asking too much. Not too many of us actually possess that sense of entitlement whereby it''s promotion or nothing but we are allowed a sense of anger when we appear to be drifting away from this aim.

In the meantime we need patience for another 9/10 months but if that is used up then do not underestimate the power of the 25, 000 and more and even exiled sidekicks like myself and others. We have a voice, Smith and Jones have ears.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]@ NN

"Broady, this pontificating on here about how other people spend their money isn''t only about Smith and Jones ......"

Agree but Smith and Jones are currently in the hot seat of their own volition.

Supporters have the right to be upset when they refuse or appear to refuse to "invest" further in the club in times of need, instead they appear to be doing things on the cheap and it isn''t working very well. The "new approach" revolution line will only carry them so far until fans see through the smokescreen if results and performances continue to disappoint.

If we are still "floating" come Xmas, if things on the pitch and results have not improved then not only can I foresee the removal of our coach (at considerable cost?) but also a backlash against the majority shareholders of "Chase out" proportions. They will have overseen a decline in the club''s fortunes one time too many and this time around will not have the Lambert/Holt inspired factor to bail them out.

My own contention will be that overall they have been more lucky than unlucky. First Lambert and then Neil but that they have wasted any good luck by a series of horrendous calls.

Let''s all hope that the German experiment will not be another one. Hope upon hope. To require a team with our recent Premier League history to at least show signs of recovering that status is not asking too much. Not too many of us actually possess that sense of entitlement whereby it''s promotion or nothing but we are allowed a sense of anger when we appear to be drifting away from this aim.

In the meantime we need patience for another 9/10 months but if that is used up then do not underestimate the power of the 25, 000 and more and even exiled sidekicks like myself and others. We have a voice, Smith and Jones have ears.[/quote]They took over the club when it was in the second tier, in the immediate aftermath of a severe financial crisis. The club is now in the second tier with no such financial crisis looming. That doesn''t look like they have overseen a decline in the club''s fortunes.

Why is disagreeing with Webber ''whinging''?

I disagree with his comments, and don''t think telling supporters to ''support another team'' is a particularly endearing comment to suggestions we play boring football. We don''t score many goals, and we don''t look like scoring many goals. Are Norwich fans against possession football? I know I''m not, but what we currently play is pretty poor by anyone''s accounts. Where would we be if Maddison didn''t thump in a 30 yarder every other game?

I don''t think he has conducted himself particularly well in the transfer market - leaving us short of strikers and wasting money on as many poor players as good players. This makes his arrogance seem somewhat unjustified.

It is interesting to hear that we are apparently moving in a positive direction? It is looking like we will finish in the bottom half of the table and the chances are we will have a weaker squad next year.

I''d love us to turn it around and push on next year. I just don''t think we will, what is the point of a football message board if every comment someone disagrees with is dubbed a moan or whinge.

I feel like I''m ironically seeing more whinging comments about whinging, than actual whinging.

I agree with the sentiments of the op.  Evolving from a weak PL mentality to a strong championship squad was never going to be easy.  Nutty mentions how much he enjoyed last season, but that was largely due to the players being a little gung ho imo - plenty of attacking intent, but a complete lacking of knowing how to defend. But lots of goals equalled failure to get promoted - with a supposedly PL standard squad.  So we are in a new world. Welcome to the new world! It calls for a bit of faith, a bit of patience and some enthusiasm for the challenge.

@ PC.

That was ages ago.

How long do you want them to feast on that?

The club was in a bad state then for sure and Delia''s money mattered.

It is irrelevant now and I have no intention of ignoring our recent mistake-filled rapid decline because of an event which happened at a time when the whole game was faced with a completely different scenario which makes their current approach approach to it quaint and irrelevant.

Chase took our club to heights unknown before. He then fell from grace.

Are you suggesting that we should forever revere Delia Smith because she stepped in when he came unstuck, although in any case it was Geoffrey Watling who bought Chase out before Smith bought in.

Times change. Smith doesn''t.

With respect PC you seem to want to stand still. I thought it was the binners who lived in the past.