Sign in to follow this  
rich

the loan arranger

while on the one hand I applaud the players we''ve brought in, davenport is a great young player and lisbie could be very dangerous at this level, I also have problems.

If davenport proves a great pick then excellent, but there is no chance spurs will let us keep  im. I can understand lisbie for injuries, but what if davenport and shackell, or davenport and fleming work really well and then a couple of months later spurs recall him. where does that leave us, back to flem and shackell.

I understand this is a great tie over until january, but you have to question why we waited until after the deadline to move for a defender. It''s obvious for a while we needed a defender, even the move for Ian pearce was short term. I''d much rather have seen us buy a permament defender back in the summer or before the deadline, while I applaud worthy acting at last, I can''t help think were forgetting the huge howler he made in not sorting this earlier.

so while were rushing to praise the moves, lets not forget he''s finally adressing a problem that needed sorting long ago and in the least satisfying way,short term with some other teams player.

I think Worthy needs to be applauded for bringing Davenport in.  I''m sure if it had been up to Worthy, Davenport would have been in a yellow shirt against Coventry.  Davenport wanted to stay in the Prem.  Fair enough IMO.  He was probably waiting to see if a a club like Sunderland, West Ham, WBA etc would come in for him.  They didn''t, so he was happy to come here.

It''s all very well saying we should have signed a defender permanently but who could we have brought in?  We certainly couldn''t have bought a defender of Davenport''s quality. 

Spurs have defenders in abundance.  If Callum does well (and Spurs don''t have an injury crisis) I''m sure they would be happy to let him stay until the end of the season.  If we''re at the right end of the table and have the money we could then look to try and get the lad permanently.

[quote]I think Worthy needs to be applauded for bringing Davenport in. I''m sure if it had been up to Worthy, Davenport would have been in a yellow shirt against Coventry. Davenport wanted to stay in the Pr...[/quote]

The rules used to be that you could only have 1 short term and 1 long term loan from another claub at any one time - so, unless the rules have changed, calum goes back to Spurs on 11th Dec come what may and will only return if Spurs either agree to cancel marneys loan or sell him to us on Jan 1st 2006. 

And we should not go overboard about Davenport - he has potential but no more than Shacks is already giving us.  

Either way this signing could cause problems - it will either leave us with an inexperienced but exciting partnership at the back or we replace shacks with a looky-likey and have a seriously de-motivated, angry and confused but talented young defender at the club looking to play elsewhere.

And now caum is here we should loan Doc out for a couple of months too - he is surplus to requirements and we may as well keep him match fit and get someone else to pay his wages.

OTBC

True Zip, but wouldn''t Davenport''s loan count as two short term loans instead of a long term loan?  If we keep him until January 1st and want him to come back couldn''t we get another loan deal until the end of the season on the 2nd January? 

[quote]True Zip, but wouldn''t Davenport''s loan count as two short term loans instead of a long term loan? If we keep him until January 1st and want him to come back couldn''t we get another loan deal until t...[/quote]

Again things change each year but I think the options on loans are either a season long or maximum of 91 days a season which can be split over several smaller periods - I am pretty sure we can only have Callum beyond Dec if we buy him as I cant see Spurs cancelling the marney deal.

OTBC

Rich

1. Look back two seasons at the effect Worthy''s use of the loan system in early September had then. I''d say his track record is very good.

2. I suspect clubs generally wait until after the transfer window has closed to see who''s still around before letting players out on loan, hence we''re not the only club making loans now, there are quite a few going on. Hence the timing.

"where does that leave us, back to flem and shackell." it would leave us hopefully with a better defensive record. Its better that we have him for 3 months than none. Also, there is time in january to buy or loan a defender again.

I''m not disputing that this is a good move giving what we had before yesterday, my dispute is why wait so long and why take a young player on the short term when we have cash to splash on merging a centre back partnership of our own.  I just think short term and at the risk of damaging shackell and if we had bought someone like sodje much earlier, we could form our own partnership.