Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Murphy’s decisions

I agree Hoggy. I don''t even think Josh has gone backwards. He hasn''t progressed as far as Jacob who also didn''t go backwards. Maddison hasn''t gone backwards. Lewis didn''t go backwards. In fact the reverse is true.....

We should sell Josh this summer and get in a left footed replacement like Jodi Jones from Coventry (18)

[quote][quote user="Graham Paddon''s Beard"]Against Reading in the first half, Murphy put three crosses into The Corridor, and no one got on the end. Again today two decent balls in, again no one gets on the end.

Holt, Robins, Drinkell , Roberts, MacDougall (at random) .- would get on the end of at least 2 of the five chances.

Suddenly Murphy''s "end product" looks a lot better.[/quote]

Possibly a fair point. You can only get an assist if the striker puts it away. A decent striker would also make more/better opportunities for Murphy to shine, where I don''t think our strikers currently are either natural poachers or players who bring others into play well enough.

I do think though that Murphy would be at best a last fifteen minute player for a good championship side. Someone to run at the opposition when they''re tired. He doesn''t have the overall game to be a regular starter in a top championship or a premier league side.

That might be (or not) true.

What is true is that we’re neither a top championship side or a Premier League side.

So you’re basically saying he’s a good fit?

At the moment I think everyone''s problem is the inability to play a ball. So many times we get the ball, everyone knows that its time to cross it and we dally long enough for the opposition to pick up our men or just move into position.

Every week.

We need to teach our players to pick up the ball and instinctively cross, not hold up play or take an extra touch.

Wingers have one of the hardest jobs on the pitch to consistently perform well. I appreciate that BUT some of the things he does when it comes to a final ball or the sheer amount of times he loses the ball is criminal.

I''ve tried several times to post on his thread, but each time I wrote it comes out negatively, which bothers me, but he still strikes me as immature in his attitude on the pitch.  Redmond was similar imo - always a bit nebulous, but grew up in the championship season under Neil. I would have hoped Josh would have improved from the player he looked at the start of the season - not able to hold on to the ball, tackled way too easily and poor decision making, with the occasional flash of talent.  But unless someome can persuade me otherwise, he hasn''t changed that much from what I have seen. He needs simply to be more effective.  That applies to other team members too of course, but for all the talent we know he has, imo he is not making best use of it and the time will come when we get other players in who can be more effective and he will have to learn the hard way - by being left out of the team. 

I wonder if he''s simply fed up with being clobbered every time he gets the ball.

Even Maddison, who rides tackles, dusts himself off when he gets fouled, always gets on with it, is showing signs of having had enough. Early on against QPR he got caught quite badly, he got up slowly & didn''t look as if his heart was in it thereafter.

It''s a man''s game & all that, & I like nothing better than a well-timed, hard but fair tackle. Trying to cripple your opponent is an entirely different thing, & unfortunately the refs. are too frequently unable to distinguish between the two.

You do get the impression that if he suffers a hard tackle early on he struggles to regain his confidence and composure.

He’s not alone in that though but could maybe learn a few lessons from Maddison who has been systematically singled out for treatment by some teams this season.

I like Murphy, he is an exciting player and has a tough job to impress in the way we set up. The more we get behind him the better he will be.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve tried several times to post on his thread, but each time I wrote it comes out negatively, which bothers me, but he still strikes me as immature in his attitude on the pitch.  Redmond was similar imo - always a bit nebulous, but grew up in the championship season under Neil. [/quote]You didn''t like Snoddy either Lakey.....Something about wingers.....[:S]

Murphy''s decision making is the equivalent of taking your partner to the food court but you''re not sure what restaurant to go to, so you end making the wrong choice and grabbing a cheap hotdog from a stand when there were 5 or 6 better options to choose from.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve tried several times to post on his thread, but each time I wrote it comes out negatively, which bothers me, but he still strikes me as immature in his attitude on the pitch.  Redmond was similar imo - always a bit nebulous, but grew up in the championship season under Neil. [/quote]You didn''t like Snoddy either Lakey.....Something about wingers.....[:S][/quote]

Well I suppose the benchmarks are there from the past.....Dale Gordon for one....

Great to see Murphy fulfil his potential, but the issue remains.  it has been a long season yet he has not impressed most of the time. He has scored several good goals this season of course, but did not follow those with any great performances.   Frankly, if he has to score a world class goal to get in a good frame of mind, then that is not a good sign. He needs to move on from such a childish outlook and play like he did in the second half from the start of a match, regardless of whether he scores a wonder goal or not.  Maybe a bit harsh, because it was a superb performance once he got the goal, but one swallow does not make a Summer.