Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Murphy’s decisions

Will Murphy’s decision making improve or has he peaked. Not a scapegoat, but, I believe he has stopped improving.

His game now is still head down and run with very little final ball quality. I find him frustrating and as soon as he has the ball in my mind it is lost.

Time for a change.

That’s one of the worst I’ve seen from him, just doesn’t seem to understand how a wide player needs to player.

There was a ball from Vrancic down in front of us, the entire stand could see where he needed to make his run and he went back towards Lewis.

A lad with next to no confidence and needs to be left out to protect what little confidence there might be left in him!!

Drop him to maintain his confidence. That’s a new one.

Incredible that he receives so little support from our fans. One of the few FAYC winners to make the grade and actually play first team football for us.

He didn’t have a great game but was still our only real outlet as an attacking force and went as close to scoring as anyone. Has he stopped improving? Maybe. He’s still first choice pick for Norwich City in his position though; I’m sure he’ll strive to be better but he’s far from the worst and the stick he gets is completely unfathomable.

He didn’t have a great game but was still our only real outlet as an attacking force and went as close to scoring as anyone. Has he stopped improving? Maybe. He’s still first choice pick for Norwich City in his position though; I’m sure he’ll strive to be better but he’s far from the worst and the stick he gets is completely unfathomable.

It isn''t stick. It is criticism of a lad who on the surface has it all. He sees more ball in good positions than any other player and his final product is woeful.

I just don''t think he has a footballer''s brain.

Frustrating. His pace belongs on a higher level, but his desicion making on the field belongs at mid League One level. There is a huge gap between his pace compared to his football understanding in the key moments. His focus may be wrong, because it seems as he get a black out in the final moment when he is trying to shoot or make a through pass. If his pace had been combined with a «football brain» he would have been a huge football star. If he not get sold in the summer this is as far as he can get. He really needs to sharpen up if he is going to follow in his brothers footsteps and get a big money transfer.

Of course it’s stick. He’s the latest in a long line of players that go unforgiven for any mistake; people can’t wait to get on his back. Completely inexplicable that he’s on the receiving end of pelters while other, more senior, players seemingly get a free pass from the stands.

The moment in the first half when he did so well to battle his way past the Fulham defender and drive forward into a promising position with the ball, only to completely miss an unmarked Maddison screaming for it over to his right and instead waste it, summed up Murphy perfectly in the space of five seconds. There''s talent in there but it''s so frustrating to watch when that sort of thing happens.

Maddison more or less would have had a free shot on goal from the edge of box (or just inside), and was such a good opportunity to grab the goal and the lead.

Of course it’s stick. He’s the latest in a long line of players that go unforgiven for any mistake; people can’t wait to get on his back. Completely inexplicable that he’s on the receiving end of pelters while other, more senior, players seemingly get a free pass from the stands.

Nonsense. He, after Maddison, is the one with the talent. And he isn''t fulfilling it. If he was out of position or carrying an injury then fair enough. But the evidence is before our eyes.

Who was closest to scoring for us today and how many attacks did we have that didn;t involve him?

Or was that just coincidence?

He can be frustrating but hes a winger and thats generally the case. I remember fans telling me on here how Redmond was never good enough for us and wouldnt find a prem club that would take him..

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 30/03/2018 7:07 PM:

I think some of it is just frustration from the fans. Not sure how much of the decision making can be influenced by coaching, he plays at pace, a fantastic aspect of his game, but decision making at the end point is pretty much down to instinct, if you get him trying to think too much about what he''s been told he will end up completely fluffing it.

[quote user="Van wink"]if you get him trying to think too much about what he''s been told he will end up completely fluffing it.[/quote]You mean that he isn''t fluffing already?

Making Plans wrote the following post at 30/03/2018 8:57 PM:

Van wink wrote:

if you get him trying to think too much about what he''s been told he will end up completely fluffing it.

You mean that he isn''t fluffing already?

No he is making wrong decisions, but in some cases its the execution is poor, you can work on the execution but I dont see how coaching can help decision making, happy to be corrected if Im wrong on that.

I think the problem boils down to the fact that we only have one winger on the pitch.  He was our main source of attack today and people (Vrancic) was always looking to play him in. His errors are therefore amplified.  We had Pinto on the right but he was also guilty of poor decisions when he got into a good crossing positions and was often isolated on the right. I simply don''t understand this lop-sided attacking play.  We have done it a lot this season and I think it might be the reason why we have been so poor offensively; it''s easy to defend against and we simply don''t get any service into the strikers (whether it''s Oliviera or Srbeny).  We look much better when we have two wingers (as with Reading) but with Wildschut and Cantwell sent on loan and Jarvis back soon (probably never) we don''t have any other options.  Surprised we don''t use Pinto or Lewis in a more attacking role, and bring in Husband and Reed at wing-backs when either Murphy or Hernandez are injured.

Watching him at present is very frustrating. Lots of talent but the end product and the decision making seriously letting him down. It’s a big issue for us if we are going to play on the break as we did today because you need to be clinical. A little more composure from Murph today and we could have been a couple ahead at the break.

All this criticism of Josh is a bit OTT. Especially the stuff during games. His end product was frustrating today but he was by far our biggest threat going forward. Sometimes he puts a decent ball across and nobody gambles to make a run to get on the end of it. Sbrenny got close to one second half and I see more hope with him than Nelson who must be a total nightmare for a winger to play with. Josh attacks with pace and sometimes putting the ball in a good area is all that he can do. It''s someone elses responsibilty to attack the space to get on the end of it.

Against Reading in the first half, Murphy put three crosses into The Corridor, and no one got on the end. Again today two decent balls in, again no one gets on the end.

Holt, Robins, Drinkell , Roberts, MacDougall (at random) .- would get on the end of at least 2 of the five chances.

Suddenly Murphy''s "end product" looks a lot better.

Interesting discussion. This is not about giving Murphy stick. I wanted to question his progression. His speed is great but the final decision often woeful. This, in my opinion, then leads to selfishness in the hope that a ‘wonder strike’ will mask the issues.

I do not think thst a player who runs fast is all that a threat, Murphy needs more and he is not showing signs of improvement.

It''s clear he''s a confidence player and you could feel it with the crowd today every time he didn''t put the ball where he wanted, it just got worse after that ! 

I''m convinced that a lot of it is down to confidence. I know there is a lot of talk in the media of "blocking it all out" but I think that the extent to which players do it is often exaggerated. Footballers are mammals like the rest of us, and once a big mistake is made in front of 20,000+ people, the stress mechanism jumps in and clear thinking "goes to pot." The fact that he is a winger makes it all the more obvious.

Our biggest threat. Maddison offered next to nothing yesterday, certainly less than Josh.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Surely this is where the "coach" comes in. [/quote]

Couldnt agree more. Cast your mind back to the end of Cristiano Ronaldo''s debut season with Man Utd. Utd fans were so frustrated by his lack of end-product, and while acknowledging his talent/potential, many were baying for them to sell him on and ''cut their losses''.

I can only imagine that some extremely good coaching (and of course dedication and application on the part of the individual) is what changed that dynamic.

Im not saying Murphy is Ronaldo, but numerous prospects seem to go backwards at our club. I cant help but wonder whether these same players would be better if coached elsewhere

Do numerous prospects go backwards at our club? I dont think we are any worse, if anything id say over recent years players have generally developed well.