Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Dennis Srbeney

For me this lad has been coming on leaps and bounds over the past few games. Coming from German league 1 it must be an enormous adjustment for him. I thought he had a decent game against Fulham though he missed a decent chance. Against Villa he looked very good, strong engine holds the ball up well and lays off to others and capped it with a much deserved goal. I am not a fan of one up but he fills the role better than many others we have had at the club and as he settles in we could well have bought quite a gem

I think he''s grown into the role well to be fair and got his well deserved goal yesterday. I agree it is a lonely task, and due to our style of play it often means the striker is involved in the buildup and is therefore not on the end of many created chances. Something I''m not hugely a fan of. The one thing I do like is he seems to stay more central than Oliveira

Not 100% convinced but would have been happier if he had been the second of two strikers acquired in the last window.

The first having more experience and not needing such a longish period of adjustment.

The 23 years old Sbreny is not exactly endowed with silky skills, is slowish on the turn and lacks real pace. He has yet to convince that he is a natural goal-scorer.

Having said that he is very willing, has improved and learned a lot and clearly had his best game for us yesterday, so the signs are not all negative. It was a decent goal and we all like a trier.

Whether he is the man to lead the line of what we HOPE will be a team that threatens the higher echelons of the Championship next season is open to debate.

Back then to the question of new striker(s) coming in in the Summer, whereby Sbreny will be useful to have on the books.

I may have come over as a bit critical of a youngish player who has made a big step-up in his career, but I will say I would rather him in the line-up than both Oliveira (as at present) and Watkins (ever.)

He is offering more to the team as a whole than Nelson is currently. I actually thought in the first half he was struggling against a decent CB pairing but was delighted to see him peel off for his goal.

Really pleased for the lad who has certainly been putting shifts in every game

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Not 100% convinced but would have been happier if he had been the second of two strikers acquired in the last window.

The first having more experience and not needing such a longish period of adjustment.

The 23 years old Sbreny is not exactly endowed with silky skills, is slowish on the turn and lacks real pace. He has yet to convince that he is a natural goal-scorer.

Having said that he is very willing, has improved and learned a lot and clearly had his best game for us yesterday, so the signs are not all negative. It was a decent goal and we all like a trier.

Whether he is the man to lead the line of what we HOPE will be a team that threatens the higher echelons of the Championship next season is open to debate.

Back then to the question of new striker(s) coming in in the Summer, whereby Sbreny will be useful to have on the books.

I may have come over as a bit critical of a youngish player who has made a big step-up in his career, but I will say I would rather him in the line-up than both Oliveira (as at present) and Watkins (ever.)[/quote]Good points.At the moment I don''t think he has the physical strength (or is using it) to cope with the ''robustness'' of the Championship though I expect that will come as will the speed on the ball.We have seen with Vrancic that it takes a while to adjust, and the only place to adjust is either out on loan, or by playing in the Championship.

It''s far too early to make a judgement yet about his long term potential imo, we have to view him as "work in progress."His first touch seems a bit heavy at times for a hold up player - but that could be nerves, playing in front of much bigger crowds than he will be used to. It was obviously a really good chance yesterday, but he did look quite calm in the way he took it. I hope that it does him a lot of good!

Is it telling that he started both the Reading and Villa matches, which were two of our better attacking displays?

The thing I''ve liked most about him is first touch- playing the loan striker role its key you don''t lose the ball with more touches before support gets there but he doesn''t.

I''m intrigued as to what they are doing with these players in Germany. You really wouldn''t expect a third division striker or a fourth division defender in this country to have the touch and composure on the ball that he and Zimmerman have shown.

[quote user="king canary"]The thing I''ve liked most about him is first touch- playing the loan striker role its key you don''t lose the ball with more touches before support gets there but he doesn''t.

I''m intrigued as to what they are doing with these players in Germany. You really wouldn''t expect a third division striker or a fourth division defender in this country to have the touch and composure on the ball that he and Zimmerman have shown.[/quote]I think our game is a bit more blood and thunder.Rather like seeing Ali being confronted in the ring by Giant Haystacks, with the latter''s approach being to get in as close as possible and ''grapple''.

Our style of play does not give our strikers many chances in a game

this has to change if we are going up next season yes he may miss a chance but if he gets two chances a game he will be lucky up until yesterday

1 goal on chances he has had is not bad scoring ratio

if he was getting 5 6 7 chances a game i would be more worried but not many strikers finish ever chance

make more chances and we will score more goals i think he has it in him to be a success

He’s improved and I’m pleased he got off the mark which should help his confidence. He showed a few decent of basic touches as the link up/target Man. I think, however, that “very good” is perhaps pushing it and at times I think he still looks cumbersome e and well below championship level.

Hopefully he will continue to improve but I really feel we are crying out for a quicker, more mobile presence up there who makes runs in behind the CBs.

he is hardly getting lovely crosses or nice through balls at the moment until we get that sorted and provide him with good chances then we can see how good he really is

[quote user="Jim Smith"]He’s improved and I’m pleased he got off the mark which should help his confidence. He showed a few decent of basic touches as the link up/target Man. I think, however, that “very good” is perhaps pushing it and at times I think he still looks cumbersome e and well below championship level.

Hopefully he will continue to improve but I really feel we are crying out for a quicker, more mobile presence up there who makes runs in behind the CBs.[/quote]I suspect that will be an area addressed is summer.As to creating chances who will be credited with the ''assist'' for Murphy''s goal and what does it actually tell you ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]maddison passed to Murphy

didn''t he ?[/quote]Yes. Dennis was towards the centre/far post waiting for a possible cross. As mentioned I like the fact he remains a lot more central than NO.

Nelson needs a long hard look in the mirror, after he''s done admiring his own reflection crack on with the bubble wrap and parcel tape lad! ✈️