Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Murphy

I’m sure he’s been talked about on here but wanted to start a separate thread....and a particular shout out to the gentleman in the Thorpe area, city stand row c ish (I really hope you’re on here).

Murphy is simply getting too much abuse from ‘fans’. Yes he’s frustrating, yes his decision making at times is questionable or simply wrong but he puts a shift in, he hasn’t hidden from the criticism, of which he’ll be very aware of, and today he showed what a top player he can be and that we should be supporting him, not chasing him out of the club. He’s one of those players that can do many frustrating things but will and has won games with a moment of brilliance. Scoring and setting up the other 2 far outweighed any mistakes he made and well done to him for not hiding away at any point, he certainly shut the idiots up.

Now back to the ‘fan’ in the stands. Literally from Murphys first touch, the abuse started. Quietly, just for the benefit of us ‘lucky’ few nearby to start with: “no effort” “rubbish cross” etc, then turned into shouting at anyone that would listen and to Murphy himself when he was close enough to hear. Whilst he’s entitled to his opinion (of which he is wrong), to abuse a player personally is wrong, particularly while they are playing on the pitch. His criticism then broadened to the whole team. “Garbage” was what he was watching and then the coup de gras, booing Tetteys back pass and getting up and shouting until red in the face.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I hear many of you type but what was the grumbling for? We were not playing badly, Murphy has shown throughout his career what he is capable of and we play possession football, get used to it and get behind the team.

Funnily enough, he was very quiet from the 45+1 minute to the end of the game and wasn’t impressed with me chanting Murphys name as we made our way out. Only his opinion matters apparently.

Anyway, the criticism was unjust (hes been made a scapegoat while there’s plenty of inconsistent performers in the squad), and fortunately he stuck to his game or we may have missed out on one of the best goals I’ve ever seen at CR.

From the second the ball left his boot he played like a different player. Involved in everything in the 2nd half and played how you would expect a pacey winger to play. Involved in both goals in the 2nd half and unlucky with the ball that was just in front or Srbeny.

I have been critical of him, he’s been pretty poor recently, but deserves every bit of praise today.

A relatively inexperienced player who clearly has brittle confidence; no surprise that he seemed like a different player in terms of belief and decision making once he scored that absolute worldy.

As for people slating him, I''m not surprised - there''s a clown behind me who absolutely slated Vrancic from the first few games of the season, and basically refuses to give him any credit even now. I think it''s totally reasonable for people to form a negative opinion of a player if they want to, but the refusal to admit they might be wrong and/or give credit where it''s due is the sign of a moron.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Murphy is a confidence player, that goal really up''t it and he was on fire second half. [/quote]The difference today was his goal just before halftime.It obliged Villa to open up a bit more and attack. That allowed plenty of space in their half which allowed Murphy (and others) to use their pace to attack. Something we have rarely seen this season. All too often it is about passing sideways and backwards, even to Gunn.Today their was space to run with the ball. Villa were not given the chance to pack their defence leaving us to pass around the box like some old time western where the wagons are circled.This was the football that Farke promised us way back before the season started. The moot point here will be what has taken so long. Certainly not the absence of certain players with Moritx and Leitner out and Pritchard gone. Were we waiting until we were safe from relegation before opening up ? Was today just one of those days when it came together (as per Ron Obvious elsewhere) ?Well, if much is still in the air the latter suggestion is not. Some outstanding performances all round. Reed''s superb chip to Sir Benny who was not offside for once. Hanley was excellent in defence and Tettey showed again why we need him to stay. Lewis looked years beyond his age, and Josh ... well enough has been said elsewhere Today he was the player we knew he could be, and the player we wanted him to be.Maddison. Whatever the failings of this season it will go down as the season that we watched a young genius in a City shirt. If he doesn'' stay beyond this summer it has been a privilege.Perhaps after today a few might be reconsidering their ST and renewing. A few million will have been added to the transfer value of a few of the younger players. And whilst we don''t look like we will be in the playoffs as me and Lakey suggested a couple of months back we certainly look like we have the makings of club going forward.

until Sunderland on Tuesday 

Spot on about Maddison, a young genius and has been a pleasure to watch him. Feel lucky to have watched him play in a yellow shirt (even though he hasn’t gone yet) and fully expect him to be playing for a top 6 side very soon, and England.

Just caught the end of our game on Ch 5 & the commentator''s remark about Josh''s goal made me smile:

" a goal so sexy under 18s shouldn''t be allowed to watch it"

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Spot on about Maddison, a young genius and has been a pleasure to watch him. Feel lucky to have watched him play in a yellow shirt (even though he hasn’t gone yet) and fully expect him to be playing for a top 6 side very soon, and England.[/quote]
Yep, absolutely hits the nail on the head. Despite the failings of the team as a whole this year, it has been an absolute joy to watch Madders in a City shirt and the one thing that has made this season memorable. He is going to go a long way in the game and it has been fantastic to see him flourish. I don''t see a scenario where we can keep him for next year or beyond unfortunately, unless one of the big boys snaps him up and we can manage to get a loan back out of it, but I have enjoyed watching him in the yellow and green and will certainly follow his career with interest, wherever he ends up.

On the subject of Murphy, I missed the game yesterday but just from the highlights you could see what a difference that goal made to his confidence. He''s a hell of a player when he is on form and we need to get him firing on all cylinders for next season if we''re going to be looking to compete.
Full credit to him though - he''s had a rough few months and the strike yesterday was world class. You won''t see anyone from any team in the world catch the ball more sweetly than that, it really was a stunner. It was great to see that he didn''t just rest back on his laurels after that had flown in, but it looks like he really took the game by the scruff of the neck and did well to set up both of the other two goals.
Hopefully he can carry it on.

I have posted on Murphy stating he was not worthy of a starting place. He was knocked over at the lightest tackle. Held back over a 50/50 ball.

Let’s face it he has been pretty poor this season

Yesterday proved one thing for sure, like all sports, it’s as much about confidence as anything. All truly great players have a sense of confidence, only have to look at Madders to see that.

It was like a switch being turned on after his goal, suddenly a surge within him took him to a higher level.

The question is can the coach keep him at this level?

Whatever you say about Josh, he has the ability to be brilliant. Looking at his performances against Arsenal and Chelsea, he is best against the top teams.

You could say the same thing for the team performances.

Murphy is an enigma. Lots of talent and lots of shortcomings, the latter I really do not put down as just a confidence thing.

Up until yesterday''s super show I had him down on my list of players to cash in on in the Summer, along with Oliveira and Watkins, the three of them making up our hitherto ineffective and relatively goal-shy strike force.

I wanted a clean out. A complete change of personnel in that part of the team and with a couple of more prolific new boys coming in whilst being fully aware that Webber''s transfer record of signings is far from perfect and that fortunes cannot be spent.

After yesterday even the most hardened of Murphy''s critics will be made to think twice. Let''s then see how things go with him for the remainder of the season. He is an inconsistent player to say the least.

At minimum yesterday''s display will increase his value in the transfer market.

I''ve long argued Norwich fans have a weird attitude to wingers. Redmond (one of the best young players I''ve ever seen in a City shirt) used to get the same sort of stick. People seem to believe that they should be running at their man and beating him every single time regardless or context.

Murphy can be frustrating but he''s an academy graduate who has managed 10 goals this season from midfield. He''s shown himself to be a more than capable player at this level but some seem to expect him to be so much more.

It''s the Bill Punton syndrome KC.

The loss of Redmond was one of our greatest losses over many a recent season. We also sold him rather cheaply, imo.

Super player. I would not put Josh Murphy in the same league, academy graduate or not.

The only expectation of JM that he does not fulfil is that of consistency. We can live with the poor decision making on a regular basis as long as he scores goals like yesterday on a regular basis.

"A capable player at this level?" Do we no longer aspire to higher?

who next is deemed a capable player for us now. Husband? Sbreny? Watkins?

Again he is a winger so he will by definition drift in and out of games.

The amount of stick he gets is way OTT but then if some are wanting to boo 25 minutes into a 0-0 with a team chasing auto promotion then I guess we should be thankful no one has started throwing coins at him or something.

I think few of us on this forum approve of booing any of our players at any time.

Anybody who throws coins (?) will be banned.

A sign of disgruntlement at the end of a bad performance is permitted even if it involves a little boo or two.

BUT, this is a discussion forum, a different thing. We are expressing our views on certain players, in this case young Murphy, and these views will inevitably vary.

All are creditworthy to a greater or lesser extent.

I agree with all that Broadstairs, but unfortunately a reasonable amount on here seem to think that booing players is great for confidence.

Although thankfully it turns out most of those didnt go yesterday so that''s a positive

I think the role that Murphy plays is quite difficult in that not only is he expected to get forward and create chances, he also has defensive duties, with quite an emphasis on the defensive element from the system.way the head coach likes to play. I think he has had a solid season, yes his decision making lets him down every now and again but I think that has been over emphasised by some fans. He has clearly done some strength work in the gym and he is mega quick, something every team needs, personally I am glad he is playing for us and not against us......

A very talented but inconsistent player who responds very well to confidence boosts. I still think he is the best of the twins. Yesterday he was on top of his game and ripped Villa to bits, a brief visit to their message boards is evidence of this

Murphy was unplayable yesterday.

He should be made to watch the highlights of yesterday’s game EVERY Friday night to remind him of his full potential.

One can only hope that his confidence has been given a massive boost from his complete performance against Villa.

[quote user="unique"]Murphy was unplayable yesterday.

He should be made to watch the highlights of yesterday’s game EVERY Friday night to remind him of his full potential.

One can only hope that his confidence has been given a massive boost from his complete performance against Villa.[/quote]This ^^^.  If that performance doesn''t buck him up a bit, nothing will.

''The amount of stick he gets is way OTT but then if some are wanting to boo 25 minutes into a 0-0 with a team chasing auto promotion then I guess we should be thankful no one has started throwing coins at him or something. ''

Yes that is, of course, the logical progression of events.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]I have posted on Murphy stating he was not worthy of a starting place. He was knocked over at the lightest tackle. Held back over a 50/50 ball.

Let’s face it he has been pretty poor this season

Yesterday proved one thing for sure, like all sports, it’s as much about confidence as anything. All truly great players have a sense of confidence, only have to look at Madders to see that.

It was like a switch being turned on after his goal, suddenly a surge within him took him to a higher level.

The question is can the coach keep him at this level?[/quote]

That sums up Saturdays match very well. I was moaning like hell with regard to Murphy for all of 44 minutes and then it all changed.He had a very good second half but for all his goal and assists I really didn''t think that deserved MoM. Tetley and Reed were far more worthy of that award over 90 mins.