Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Ben Godfrey at Wembley

Sadly a bit of a let down for Shrewsbury and the Norwich boys.

Know Godfrey is highly thought of but will still be a huge step up if he is to make it into our first team. Certainly not sure Morris ever will but I guess you never know

My Father-In-Law keeps banging on every couple of weeks (and has done for over a year), that Carlton Morris is THE answer to our CF problems.

After today''s showing (against League 2 defenders) I await his latest pearls of wisdom...........

Yeh, I know VW, and it''s not down to just his (or Godfrey''s) performance. It is down to the whole team, plus the job Lincoln did on them (plus a few decisions goings Lincoln''s way!)

They must be doing something right, as they are playing in a successful team, that is, in effect, less than a Division form out current team, so they are not bad players at all.

My point is really against my F-i-L, who hasn''t really offered any tactical insight, as to why Morris is the answer to our dreams, apart from, that he is a "big unit, with a bit of pace"

At this stage I''d wager that neither are first team ready, that''s for a sure. I agree with the comments about Morris, never looked that deadly but if we''re playing the style we are now he might fit in as he does a great job holding it up at times but he won''t score that many goals.

As for Godfrey, still highly rated, pre-season will give us an idea of how likely he is to get into the squad.

Neither are first team ready?

Millwall and Sheffield United have shown recently that the gap from League One to Championship isn''t that huge. Godfrey has been a key man for a team challenging for promotion from League One aged 20. We''re a mid-table Championship team. It really isn''t a huge step up.

[quote user="king canary"]Neither are first team ready?

Millwall and Sheffield United have shown recently that the gap from League One to Championship isn''t that huge. Godfrey has been a key man for a team challenging for promotion from League One aged 20. We''re a mid-table Championship team. It really isn''t a huge step up.[/quote]
Depends though, the step up becomes more of an issue depending on how you play. I''ve not seen enough of Godfrey to comment but does he have the technical ability in his game to play for us?

From what I saw of Godfrey against West Ham in the 2 FA cup games he is definitely ready for the Championship.

From the bit I''ve seen I reckon he does.

The fact Farke gave him a decent amount of game time in pre-season suggests he sees something in him also.

My more general point is some on here seem to struggle with the idea that playing youngsters requires a bit of a leap of faith at times. We had folks saying the Murphy''s needed another year on loan before they made the break through last season for instance. This season Farke has given debuts to three players without a minute of first team football between them (Gunn, Lewis and Cantwell) here or on loan elsewhere and the results have been largely positive.

The only way to know if Godfrey is ready is to play him, another loan to another League One team or a lower Championship team doesn''t help anyone.

I would be amazed if Godfrey wasnt competing for a starting spot next season, we have limited CDM options and his performances have been good most of the season particularly against better sides.

Sadly I dont have the same optimism for Morris who would appear to be a League 1 or 2 level striker at the moment.