Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Happy Birthday To A Living Legend.

He wouldn''t have needed all these chances our current lot seem to need, neither would he need a system to adhere to as he would be his own system.

Good, influential players make the system as much as any manager does.

Mike Walker didn''t appear to have tactical constipation (aka: Farke''s complaint) he just happened to appreciate the talent he had inherited and sent them out to do their own thing and formulate themselves as a team.

At least that''s the way it used to seemed to be. More ad-hoc, less programmed.

Brings us back to the glory days of the Messiah when we used to play football

I can''t believe how much we miss the likes of Holt,Lambert,mcnally

Comparing them to the clowns at the club at the moment it shows how far we have fallen

Don''t think we would score a goal like that now,  When Pinks picked it up instead of crossing he would look to play it back !     

Broadstairs, that just rekindled a memory for me. For some strange reason I have a clear memory of reading an interview with Jon Newsome just a few months after he joined us. When asked about how things differed at Norwich from being a Leeds I remember he remarked about how training at city at that time was almost all about skills and fitness with very little regard to tactics and almost nothing on opposition tactics.

For some reason it''s stuck with me reading that and I can''t help but sometime feel it''s a shame how football has become so tactical and clinical. It was enjoyable watching 11 v 11 going s**t or bust for a win.

Yes Newsome, our very first £1m player, was an instant hit.

Actually, he was signed by John Deehan who took on Mike Walker''s legacy, but was not as successful as MW (part 1.)

Absolutely magnificent.When I watched this I thought the playback speed had been turned up such was the speed of movement and directness and skill of the FORWARD passing! How I miss that.The Norwich no.9.

Great man, great player. Current crop of strikers should watch this video to see how it`s done. £20 million striker in today`s market.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Great stuff from the big man.

God we played some fantastic stuff![/quote]Didn''t we just. One of my favourite Holty moments was when he piled in that header at Anfield. There was only ever going to be one winner in that challenge!

The League One season was for me such an enjoyable experience. As good as 1971-72 in terms of the excitement and entertainment and knowledge that, in my case, going to away grounds, pretty certain we were going to win and the respect the home support had for us.

No Fear, No Nonsense and No Respect.

And Holt typified those three things. Let alone his underrated skill and movement, he was so full of his own confidence that he feared nothing. And he didn''t mind a bit of the ultra violence if it needed it. And it didn''t matter if we were five up, he wanted to rub peoples noses in it.

One of my favourite Holty moments was when he piled in that header at Anfield. There was only ever going to be one winner in that challenge!

For me the one that sums him up is the goal at Goodison. And maybe not everyone''s choice.

Surrounded by Everton players, back to goal, being held but still having the skill and imagination to turn it all to his advantage and embarrass the opposition.

wonderful player so hard working and such a handful perfect for todays game

it was all so balanced and he got great service from rest of team so made me think if he was here this season with farke''s system ?

I think the moment that I really stood up & took notice was in league one, I can''t remember who against, when the opposition were literally bouncing off him.

Strong as a bloody ox, an ox with twinkling toes & the brain of a footballing Einstein. He really should have been given an England chance.