Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Best scoring record in last 30 minutes in the league?

Farke''s quote:
“We have the best scoring record in the last 30 minutes of all the teams in this league."
Is this true? If so those that were (during our bad run, admittedly) criticising Farke for our additional workload in training etc probably needs to readjust their thought process.
It also says a lot about the tactical style of Farke''s play and that we''re not far away from being what he wants us to be. As i''ve said in other threads, had our striker or whoever taken some of the easiest chances at home this season we''d probably be 2 or 3 points off the play-offs at worst.

Fulham are top of that particular Table with 29. We''ve scored 16 in the last 30 minutes, Brentford, Bristol, Cardiff, Ipswich have all scored more than us.

We have scored 11 in the last 15 mins though

It’s one of those stats that’s just a bit silly really. Sure it shows we keep going to the end, but surely the preceding 60 minutes are just as important?

The fact we have a negative goal difference is the bigger indicator surely?

I''d imagine we may have the highest % of goals scored late on but that doesn''t mean we have best late scoring record.

As Rogue says though, a goal scored in the 58th minute is worth just as much as one in the 68th.

Nevermind stats. I''ve noticed that the longer the season goes on the more we dominate teams after 60 mins. I''ve posted the stats to kind of back this up but the opinion is formed by what I witness. Surely others have noticed this?

I see what you mean Nutty, but for example at the time Brentford, Derby, Hull and Sheff Utd were all winning at Carrow Road.

This leads to them sitting back, so we dominate the ball even more

Even after listening repeatedly to the recording of DF''s comment, I still can''t make out exactly what he said. Certainly doesn''t sound like "last thirty minutes" though. 
Re. the "value" of goals, retrospectively some are clearly more valuable than others just in terms of being point earning or not;  an equaliser, for example, is more valuable than a consolation goal, and a winning goal more valuable than an equalising one. 

Anybody have a rough idea own many points late goals have won us?

Ipswich & Hull we scored late equalisers. But can’t remember any others in the last 10minutes or so where we actually gained points?

There you go! Say what you see.

Second half of the season we''ve conceded just 2 second half goals. Every game the opposition tire compared to us after about an hour.

I think Farke misspoke. Best scoring record in the last 30 seconds; unbelievable stuff!

nutty nigel wrote

Second half of the season we''ve conceded just 2 second half goals. Every game the opposition tire compared to us after about an hour.

This might also be down to our possession game, it''s harder without the ball.

Don''t know about the last 30 minutes..... but we must now have the record for the last 30 seconds !!!

It is especially down to our possession game when they begin to tire. You see the opposition making mistakes mentally and physically. On Sunday the binners brought on 3 subs and still were struggling. We definitely are fitter than most teams. I would say the fittest team in the Champs.

Great result tonight.

Would like to think even the dimmest could work our what Farke is trying to achieve now and how hes going about it.

Hope Oliviera goes on a run, he needed a bit of luck to get one.

It''s all down to the double training. You work hard like that and you make that 2% difference. Sometimes you get a goal!

It''s not just a matter of fitness though is it? As hoggy says, and nutty has observed, there''s an increasingly clear pattern emerging in terms of our approach to, and management of, each game whether home or away. Reminds me a bit of Man Utd under SAF -- steady start, exert more and more control as the game proceeds, rack up intensity and pressure increasingly towards the latter stages. So I think that complaints to the effect that "we never seem to start on the front foot", and "it''s all too slow early on, just passing it around at the back" are point-missingly wide of the mark. 

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]That’s great, but there is a massive flaw in that thinking, based on the fact we have been losing going into injury time?[/quote]That''s not a flaw in the approach. Even SAF''s Man Utd sometimes had to come from behind. We are nowhere near Man U''s standard of execution, but that''s a different matter. 

@Rogue

Yes, that part does seem to be forgotten.

Growing into a game is all well and good but if you''re always coming from behind late on you''re not going to win much.

@Nutty

I hope somebody corrects me if I''m wrong, that works out to 1.66pts per game I think, which over a season is around 76/77 points, which would just be enough (normally) for playoffs?

[quote user="king canary"]@Rogue

Yes, that part does seem to be forgotten.

Growing into a game is all well and good but if you''re always coming from behind late on you''re not going to win much.[/quote]
We''re not ''always coming from behind late on'' though. 
The acknowledgement is we generally try and dominate the game and possession which in turn should, in most cases, result in us not conceding, certainly not to the extent we have been previously especially last season. Sometimes individual mistakes will happen but it doesn''t make the tactic wrong, it''s an element the manager can''t control.
We also are trying to implement a philosophy which will give us the best chance of winning. Implementing the philosophy isn''t a half season hope. We have to stick with it if we want to really see it work. I''ve seen Rogue say things like "forget its a transition season". Well no, because that''s exactly what it is and if you can''t accept that it''s not really the clubs problem.
The good news is the majority have been pretty good at understanding this and have seen us develop. I actually thought it''d take longer to start seeing Farke''s ways pay off. But baring in mind I don''t think our squad is really a top 6 squad (it''s probably in the group of 8-10 or so clubs who think they might have enough), I think the current form we are in should be seen as positive.

"The acknowledgement is we generally try and dominate the game and possession which in turn should, in most cases, result in us not conceding, certainly not to the extent we have been previously especially last season. Sometimes individual mistakes will happen but it doesn''t make the tactic wrong, it''s an element the manager can''t control."

Yes this is all true.

The issue with the tactic comes when we get to the final third though. The tactic puts extra pressures on the defense as they know more often than not if they concede a goal it means we''re probably getting a point at most.

I remember reading somewhere about Jose Mourinho and how he develops tactics- he focuses in on solidity, drilling in defense and midfield and kind of leaves the attackers to it. At the moment we feel a bit like that- well drilled defensively, good at keeping the ball but short of ideas or plans when we approach the opposition penalty area.