Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Maddison = Ozil?

I was just trying to describe James when it suddenly struck me how much he''s like Mesut. Both small, not particularly quick, don''t tackle or head. BUT both are very intelligent players, can run a game, knit the team together, score great goals.

Of course you can never tell until you play at the highest level as has Ozil, but I actually reckon Madders has got a bit more in his locker than him, certainly in terms of goal scoring.

I was surprised to see how low Ozil''s valuation is (£30-40m), but that seems to be because his contract is ending - even so there is still talk that Barcelona are willing to pay £60m for him.

Anyway, perhaps the £30m+ deal for James will actually happen ...

Nah, Alexis Sanchez is a poor man''s Madders! :-)

Similarities obviously but I think madders is more mobile and more about his final product compared to clever vision/technique like Ozil is. He’s more like dybala from juve imo or coutinho.

Mmm. I''d have said Coutinho has a lot more pace & power than James; I also suspect he heads the ball more.

It just struck me that Maddison''s shortcomings are similar to Ozil''s but that hasn''t prevented him performing in the top flight. His biggest problem is probably attitude, a tendency to be diffident & drift out of games, something James doesn''t suffer from (although he''s definitely gone off the boil a bit lately).

Also I didn''t realise how tall Mezut is! He''s allegedly 6''1", although photos suggest something rather less.

don''t see it myself. Ozil has consistently been one of the most underrated players in the prem and has the most assists in the prem (since he joined) he''s also a world cup winner with 29 goals in 88 apps for Germany. He has also won the German national team player of the year 5 times and got the most assists at a world cup and a euros.

Madders is obviously a very talented player for, but Ozil has finished in the top 20 of the Ballon D''or three times.

Can''t really compare value either as Ozil is 29.

somewhat ironically with Ozil being bad in the air he scored a header against us in 2013 I believe.

he''s also a world cup winner with 29 goals in 88 apps for Germany. He has also won the German national team player of the year

Maddison can''t play for Germany, he has played competitively for England.

Maddison is still developing mind, he''s only 21, but at 21 Ozil had played in the World Cup and was about to sign for Real Madrid who he then went on to score 27 goals for across 3 seasons.

Maddison isn''t quite that good yet, but he''s certainly got the potential to be one of England''s best new things.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]he''s also a world cup winner with 29 goals in 88 apps for Germany. He has also won the German national team player of the year

Maddison can''t play for Germany, he has played competitively for England.[/quote]

yeah and England are a much harder team to get into than Germany. if he had a german grandparent he could still switch allegiance. He has not played in a competitive game England.

I''d say the ability to consistently score goals is worth quite a lot locker-wise.

But as I said, Mezut has been tested at the highest level & produces some sublime performances, which Maddison has yet to do. And although they are both highly influential midfielders their styles are very different.

It was the similarities in weaknesses that interested me, & indicated that said weaknesses needn''t stop James'' career from taking off.

I would also say that I think he has done us proud, is a very mature & grounded young man & I will follow his career with interest - wherever he ends up.

Talk of £60m players in connection with Madisson is wildly inappropriate at this moment in time.

I would hope that Webber is canny enough to slap a lucrative sell-on clause on the deal though. Where Coventry''s interest ends is unclear.

I think Ozil was considerably further ahead in ability and development when he was Maddisons age.

Forget Ozil. Listening to talksport earlier and they were saying that Wilshire and Lallana were doubts for world cup and that Jake Livermore would be next in line. Really !!!!!

None of them...and I mean none of them can lace Maddisons boots. England always tend to pick a wild card and Madders should be it. The guy is confident and class. Watched him at Sunderland on Tuesday and although he had a quiet game could still have scored a couple. 21 years old and his peers look up to him. Given the chance an England player for years to come. Quality who we shouldn''t let go for under £30m. All the top teams will want him at seasons end.........and no I am not his agent. Wish I was

I was being TIC.

He played against Ukraine in the Under 21 Euros last week.

I think that disqualifies him.

I agree Livermore is average but the problem for England isn''t attacking mids, it''s defensive mids, Livermore is one of them, Maddison is not. England are short on defensive mids. we''re currently looking at Henderson and Dier as the guys we''re taking with Wilshere someone who can play from deep.

I was trying to describe Madders to a Leicester fan mate of mine the other day. After a lot of thought the player I came up with who Madders reminds me of the most was Luka Modric.

So that''ll be Beckham, Ozil and Modric.

Anyone else who has played for Real Madrid?

Zidane?

Maddison better than Lallana...even thats a massive stretch let alone the Ozil and Beckham comparisons

In terms of style of play (not ability) I''d compare him to Erickson at Tottenham. Small, nimble but not physically gifted with great pace but has a very quick brain, excellent vision, good set piece delivery and has a great shot on him.

To try and compare him ability to wise to anyone who has proven themselves at the top level (Ozil, Lallana etc) is crazy though. Maddison could be as good as them but we just don''t know. There have been plenty of players who''ve looked amazing in the Championship that have struggled at Premier League level. I doubt Madders will be one of them but you never know for sure.

A young Erikson for playing style comparisons is probably the best shout King Canary.

Madders is going to be a top football. The next few years of his development will no doubt shape whether he can make it or not. His playing style could be well suited to the Prem given that you traditionally get more time on the ball.