Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

So despite everything...

We''ve only lost four games so far in the second half of the season.
Is this a positive?
Are foundations being laid?

Any foundations that have been laid will soon be torn up when Maddison, Gunn, Reed, Tettey, Klose and co depart in the summer.

Another season of excuses because we’ve lost some big players? Can’t wait.

Sure of that''s how you want to spin it.

Or alternatively we''ve won 2 games in 12 despite 7 of those opponents being in the bottom 10.

Or not beaten a bottom four side all season... More importantly have we turned another corner

Top two next year, with half the team home grown, the money we get from player sales well invested on decent forward line, Cantwell and Godfrey ripping the championship a new arsehole and the academy up and running. What''s to be negative about? Oh, and Farke now having a full seasons education.

The emergence of Madisson, which has thrown a probable financial lifeline to the club, is the only real positive from this very disappointing season.

I suppose we have played some decent football at times but these spells have not really been backed up by a consistent run of three-pointers.

We are were we are in the league and I cannot think that anybody could claim that we deserve a higher position.

We need some comings and goings in the Summer. The goings will be needed to finance the comings for the most part.

There is something ''missing'' about our method of play whereas we invariably give a reasonable account of ourselves, show skill and decent build up, but melt the nearer we get to the opposition goal.

I would be more confident about next season (newbies apart) if the manager were to begin to show signs that he is able to address our shortcomings. He makes no progress, tactically speaking, at all it seems.

Last night summed up our season and, aided by universally unacceptable team tinkering, meant that yet another opportunity to gain a win was tip-tapped away.

“aided by universally unacceptable team tinkering,”

Sorry broady but half a dozen people throwing a strop on a forum doesn’t amount to that. It could also be said that no progress with tactics isn’t quite true either, we’ve played 3 or 4 at the back, he made two subs at half time to change things last night too. Yes he has a specific style and he’s going to try and stick to it but I don’t think you can say he’s made absolutely no progress.

@Fenway

Not a dig but a question- where exactly do you think he has made progress?

My concern is the area we''d improved the most in (defense) has actually got worse as the season has gone on.

To echo what Mike said Nutty, we haven''t beaten any of the bottom four, if we had taken 24 points from them in games we really should have won we would be 5th. All ifs and buts I know but it seems to be the same old thing of Norwich being able to raise themselves again the better teams and struggle to break down those lesser teams in the division.

Positive way to the season ending, six points from our two home games and a win over Alex Neil would make me very happy going into next season that we could, with injuries being more favorable than this season, make a challenge for the top 6.

Sorry FF, but you are nit-picking a bit. I suppose there might have been some in favour of last night''s changes, who knows?

The team selection was difficult to justify last night after the Villa game and Sbreny''s omission seems to have surprised most. Did it you?

Switching between three and four at the back and a couple of half-time subs in order to address an ineffective first half is hardly at the cutting edge of tactical nous.

I am really referring to the bigger picture and in support request you read the following:-

"Daniel Farke’s side enjoyed plenty of possession but lacked any real thrust in the final third and were again exposed defensively in a sobering first home league outing of the season."

Source: The PinkUn report of our home defeat against Sunderland at the very beginning of the season.

As I say, no progress with tactics.

I should have added Frank that this report could so very easily have been written about last night''s game, for the most part.

I am beginning to feel that DF is possibly becoming our biggest problem and I so much wanted him to succeed when he first arrived.

Even without Madisson I believe that, strikers apart, we have a fairly strong squad lined up for next season. Trybul and Leitner and Vrancic have been more than useful additions in their various ways and I have high hopes of McClean. The defence is a bit come and go, but individually seems sound. I am hoping we resurrect our interest in LeiStner during the Summer as an added re-enforcement even if Klose goes. I have hopes that a couple of youngsters or more will make their mark also, including the ''keeper.

Daniel Farke seems stuck in mud at the moment though.

14 wins, 14 draws, 14 defeats, 46 goals for, 52 goals against.Boring stats generated from boring football.Last 6 games have produced almost identical stats so there is no improvement either.Reasons to be cheerful - none

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Sorry FF, but you are nit-picking a bit. I suppose there might have been some in favour of last night''s changes, who knows?

The team selection was difficult to justify last night after the Villa game and Sbreny''s omission seems to have surprised most. Did it you?

Switching between three and four at the back and a couple of half-time subs in order to address an ineffective first half is hardly at the cutting edge of tactical nous.

I am really referring to the bigger picture and in support request you read the following:-

"Daniel Farke’s side enjoyed plenty of possession but lacked any real thrust in the final third and were again exposed defensively in a sobering first home league outing of the season."

Source: The PinkUn report of our home defeat against Sunderland at the very beginning of the season.

As I say, no progress with tactics.[/quote]There has clearly been an overall tactical change (predictable based on how Farke managed in Germany), because in the summer he took over a squad that  scored 1.8 goals a game and conceded 1.5. Now the squad is scoring 1.1 goals a game and conceding 1.2.

I just think that if we’d have taken our chances then I’m not sure if people would be questioning his tactics. How Madders missed from a yard out I really don’t know. I agree that there’s something missing, personally I think we need to move the ball quicker, but we’re not that far away.

I’ll admit to being surprised to see Husband in the team and I would play Sir Benny every game to get him more experience, but we all know about Tetteys knees so there always were going to be changes. Perhaps he wanted to give the QPR losers the chance to redeem themselves

I can understand that people are still very unsure about things but I’m very much in the minority as I’m still enjoying this season ! 😀

i think Farke has a style of play that has worked sometimes but i do not think will bring you success over a long championship season

With lambert or any successful manger sometimes you just have to throw the kitchen sink at it long ball more direct etc

has Farke got that ? we will need it sometimes if we are going to improve

why play a out of form NO last night we have seen and he has had chance after chance all season so trying him out is no excuse he might not even be here next season so why bother ?

little things like that is why i have lost confidence in farke villa was near perfect then he goes and Drops dennis etc and changes things he has made mistakes like that all season

Yes Nutty, I think it''s clear we are quite difficult to beat and away from home our points tally has been decent.

I think tactically we have improved and developed different systems despite some injury problems. We have a back four and a back five both as feasible options.

Foreign players have adapted to the league. Vrancic, Trybull and Hernandez are all likely to be big players for us next season.

The players have looked more comfortable with the system, certainly the philosophy of playing out from the back is far less panicky than it was at the start of the season.

On top of that we have had Lewis make the LB position his own. Young player''s seem to like playing under Farke which is pretty important when you consider the direction we are going in. Maddison definitely a big fan.

And you must remember we have failed to take some really big chances, particularly at home where it would also have been the first goal. Oliviera missed a couple of really good chances last night again.

Thing is kinky, we all know that the main issue that needs sorting is the final third, if he can sort that out and the players take their chances then a fair number of draws would have been wins.

"Thing is kinky, we all know that the main issue that needs sorting is the final third, if he can sort that out and the players take their chances then a fair number of draws would have been wins."

"Kinky, final third and draws?"

Keep it clean FF.

Strangely enough King I''m perfectly aware of our results. However when you analyse, much like coaches etc do, you have to look past results. In the context of what I was saying the result''s are actually pretty irrelevant..

Results are irrelevant that is farke''s problem he is a development coach so results of games have not be relevant in his career development of players styles were his results

now he is in a job where style is 2nd to winning

results 1st always has been then sort out the style of play / entertaining

To be fair, Hoegsar is clearly not claiming results don''t matter- more than when analysing progress in our performances you don''t just look at results.

However I''m also of the opinion that if everything was as rosy as that post suggests then the results would be better.

"I think tactically we have improved and developed different systems despite some injury problems. We have a back four and a back five both as feasible options. "

Agree with this completely- we''re not just wedded to a single formation or system and that is a positive.

"Foreign players have adapted to the league. Vrancic, Trybull and Hernandez are all likely to be big players for us next season."

Yes but with a caveat on Trybull''s fitness and where we play Vrancic.

"The players have looked more comfortable with the system, certainly the philosophy of playing out from the back is far less panicky than it was at the start of the season."

Not sure about this- Zimmerman particualrly still looks like he wants more time on the ball than most allow and we saw last night how easy it is to deal with- Sunderland pressed us high and forced us into long balls quite a bit. Also I feel getting the defence comfortable with the possession system is not as key as getting those further forward the same.

"On top of that we have had Lewis make the LB position his own. Young player''s seem to like playing under Farke which is pretty important when you consider the direction we are going in. Maddison definitely a big fan. "

Yes, the rise of some of our younger players has been pleasing, although the continued refusal to use Raggatt and the strange decision to put an injured Harrison Reed on the bench over a youngster still confuse me.

Overall though I remain entirely unconvinced that this system and style of play will ever ''come good'' especially with the probable sale of our key creative outlet. We''ve tried 5 different palyers upfront this season (Nelson, Jerome, Srebeny, Watkins and Josh) and none of them seem to have had any real success. I don''t think this is simply down to poor finishing either.

Thanks King, I can''t quite believe you were the only one who realised I was referring to analysing games sometimes means you have to look past the result. Obviously I wasn''t saying results in football generally mean nothing. I''m a little concerned how some people genuinely can''t read yet use a forum.

As to the rest of your post King there is nothing factually wrong in what you say and your opinion is based on logical things. I guess the underlying difference is I probably have a bit more faith in Farke than you do. I guess we will see next season!

The thread draws attention to our RESULTS in the second half of the season. I guess people are discussing the "despite everything".