Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Cardiff

It was good to see that grey stuff that has been camped out over Norfolk for the last week finally disappear and bring a bit of spring sunshine to this afternoons proceedings. Tuesdays goal scorer, Pinto was relegated to the bench while Reed moved to right back and Moritz Leitner came back into the mid field.From the off it was end to end stuff with Cardiff looking big and strong but with a dash of skill in the likes of Hoylett and Madine. There was plenty of physical stuff early on but ref Mr.Robinson seemed remarkably reluctant to bring out the cards. A nice move from the visitors down the right flank ended with a shot over the bar while at the other end Murphy broke clear only to be held up before he could get either a shot or pass away. Then it was Cardiff on the front foot again with Bryson shooting from fifteen yards and Gunn going down to his left to hold it comfortably.As City began to get a grip midfield, Maddison, Murphy and Leitner were regularly dumped to the floor and the crowd became more and more incensed with Mr Robinson''s inability to find his yellow card. Things went from the ridiculous to the sublime when the linesman failed to give the home side a clear throw in and we were soon treated to chants of you don''t know what you''re doing. Vrancic did well when he cut in from the left but his pass across goal couldn''t find a team mate. The football was neat enough but as so often this season it lacked a cutting edge. Cardiff were big and physical and as with most Warnock teams, more than a little uncompromising. The fouls were still coming thick and fast but it was entertaining enough and when Vrancic chipped a beautiful flighted ball for Srbeny to run on to a goal looked to be coming. Unfortunately a defenders foot took the sting out of it and the ball spun away for a corner. Then, from another quick corner Srbeny turned Leitners cross onto a post and Cardiff eventually scrambled away. Minutes later, the big City striker turned nicely on to Leitners pass only to again find a defender blocking his low shot at goal.

As we moved into the last ten minutes of the half it was the home side making all the running but the Cardiff back line held strong and half chances were quickly snuffed out. It was satisfactory enough at the break but the refereeing at times had been beyond ludicrous with a huge cheer in the forty fourth minute, when Robinson finally found where he had put his yellow card.City began the second period well on top with Maddison firing over and Murphy bringing a save out of Etheridge. Reed went over in the box when he tried to get onto Murphy''s through ball but it was no surprise when appeals went unheeded. Little was coming back from Cardiff at this stage although Hoylett remained a danger man whenever a break looked on.Around the seventy minute mark the home side were virtually camped out round the Cardiff box but time and again final balls went begging. For a while I thought Cardiff were tiring but Warnock was ringing the changes and the home side just couldn''t find enough time and space to settle it. The limping Reed and puffed out Srbeny were replaced by Pinto and Olly as City went for broke but it was the visitors who ended the deadlock against the run of play. Yet another long throw from the right put the City defence under pressure as Zahore''s header was turned away by Gunn. It looked like the danger had gone but Zahore retieved the loose ball and rifled into the far corner from a narrow angle.Very disappointing but again in the scheme of things in the way the season has panned out, I doubt if I was alone in not being surprised. City never got back on the front foot after this and as extra time ran out it was that man Hoylett on hand to volley an absolute peach past Gunn to give the scoreline a totally unrealistic look in the context of the game,I didn''t enjoy the result but it had been an entertaining game, yet I''m left wondering whether entertainment in itself is enough. We looked more skillful man for man than Cardiff and dominated for long periods of the game but with more steel and just a dash of skill it was Cardiff who looked better suited to this division. Perhaps it will work out better next year but I''m still far from convinced that we are playing the right type of game to get out of this league.

Thanks ricardo. Agree with all of that. I do believe we''re so close now - we''re creating hatfuls of chances, but the Holtalike striker is missing.

He may never arrive of course, but it''s entirely possible we may find him.

Have to say I wouldn''t say no to Mitrovich. Just scored a cracker for Fulham!

Sums it up nicely especially the last paragraph. In our heart of hearts we all know what it takes to get out of this league. We play nice tippy tappy football but are neither clinical or nasty enough. Another 3 points thrown away against a very ordinary Cardiff side.

Poor goalkeeping from Angus Gunn for the opening goal. Shouldn''t get beaten at his near post like that. A rare mistake in an otherwise excellent season for the youngster.

Bang on about the style of football and this is an appalling run of results.

There would be nothing wrong with tippy tappy football in this league so long as we had one or two who could finish the chances we create, and so long as the refs don’t allow continual fouling of our players without the awarding of free kicks and use of the card.

To be fair to Gunn, he made a good save and the defence chose to stick their arms up in the air rather than react.

IMO it''s no real surprise we conceded so soon after Pinto''s arrival.

Didn''t see it Ricardo, only the highlights so your report keeps me reliably and accurately informed.

The striking situation is well documented on here and it really doesn''t need further debate.

But I am a little disappointed that after 43 games we haven''t been able to improve our final ball or just try something different from just one up front.

It is no excuse to say we would then expose the defence. Is it just the defence or the men supposed to protect it? For instance, Tettey''s woeful header for one of the goals.

We could completely change our style of play but baring in mind we have created more chances in recent home games i get the feeling itll be exactly the same just worse to eat. Our primary problem is the taking of chances particularly at key moments of games.

“There would be nothing wrong with tippy tappy football in this league so long as we had one or two who could finish the chances we create, and so long as the refs don’t allow continual fouling of our players without the awarding of free kicks and use of the card”

👍

I forgot to mention that I thought Lietner and Reed were the pick of the bunch.

I am a Reed fan and hope is one who will sign for us. He is overshadowed in my opinion by the Tettey Fan Club. but has never let us down and can play a variety of positions.

Thanks for the report Ricardo.I thought Angus was to blame for their first goal.I know that I am in a minority, but I love some of the football we have played this year, especially recently. It''s all down to finishing - if this aspect of our game had been better there would imo have been no complaints about the style. As far as I''m concerned there is no evidence that our finishing would have been any better if we played a ore direct up and at them style, so the possession game is largely an irrelevance. Like a few others, I am quite optimistic about next year - although the transfer window obviously casts a shadow of doubt.

I disagree that Angus was at fault for the first goal, a very clever finish by Zohore. Angus saved the first shot, pushed the ball out wide, our defence stood still, Zohore retrieved the ball, shaped to pull it back, Angus committed to cutting out the pull back, and Johore took advantage with a neat finish between the keeper and the post......

“I forgot to mention that I thought Leitner and Reed were the pick of the bunch”.

Agreed re Leitner’s performacne. He oozed class and created several chances, which mostly fell to Srbeny.

Hoping Leitner can be persuaded to stay. We should show him some love at the last home game. Mortiz Leitner stay next year, stay next year, stay next year!

Ive only seen the highlights and read Ricardo’s report (which, as an exile, I’m always really grateful for) but I don’t think we did that bad.

Their first goal was a bit fortunate and the last pure class. But we seemed to have the best chances and looked pretty decent against a team who may be automatically promoted.

Guess its the story of this season with just not quite being up to the standard we expect/hope for.

I’m sure many will think I’m delusional but I’m still on board with what Farke is trying to achieve and with another full pre season can at least see us top 6 next year.

We need two key things:

- presuming he leaves find an ‘adequate’ replacement for Maddison. We wont get someone as good as him but need someone to offer us some invention - I actually think Leitner is the perfect replacement if we can pull that one off.

- the second is the real challenge - a decent striker. We are making a few more chances now and I think this will improve more with Hernandez at full speed in the team. We need that person who has an instinct for goal, that’s not Serbeny but he will be decent back up.

Time for Webber to really earn his money!

@rock bus
If Leitner signs we will have got someone "as good as" Maddison, indeed better than Maddison currently is. Leitner is streets ahead in experience and understanding of the Farke-style game. 

Leitner is a terrific player imo, seems to have a really good attitude as well, would love to see him sign.

[quote user="Van wink"]Leitner is a terrific player imo, seems to have a really good attitude as well, would love to see him sign.[/quote]Assuming we sold Maddison, Vrancic and Lietner would compliment each other well.  Would be good if we can keep him.

Thanks for report. I quiet enjoyed the game. I can see why Cardiff have done well. Big strong players with a little bit of quality too.

However just like many home games this year we have looked good enough to win but have lost.

Can only hope that we find a striker who can score 20+ goals next season.

I thought Reed played really well and we look more solid when he plays in that position. I love Pinto with his powerful charging down the wing but it does tend to leave us a bit exposed. How many goals have we conceded with both our fullbacks left stranded at the wrong end of the pitch.

However only 1 more home game to go and we can start to dream about next season.

Comedy ref added to the fun, everyone loves a good boo

Thought Leitner, Vrancic and Tettey would be too defensive, but actually thought we had a very decent balance in midfield yesterday. Both Vrancic and Leitner looked combative off the ball, but classy on it.

Doing a deal for Leitner would soften the blow of losing Maddison. Not convinced he will score anywhere near as many goals, but really makes us tick when he''s on the pitch.

Would be a shame to lose Tettey, but given his age, wages and injury record, perhaps it''s time too see if Godfrey or Thompson (if fit) can step up next season.

No. 1 priority has to be a goalscoring CF tho, we just don''t have enough quality up front to be pushing top 10, let alone top 6.

The prospect of Leitner, Trybull, Vrancic behind two quick wingers and a striker who can bring others into play is rather exciting.

I''d really like us to get Leitner again next season if we can.

Could Gunn have done more with the second? Seemed to be a bit flat footed and didn''t really jump/dive - it didn''t seem to be a rocket strike so not sure if he could have done better.

1st goal again Gunn''s fault; good initial save but wrong decision to try and pre-empt the cross. As a keeper there I think you''ve got to protect your front post and hope your defence has got back in to cover if the striker then chooses to square it.

A couple of mistakes from him recently.