Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

David Hannant: I’m backing Dennis to become a menace

Just shows to what level our striking capabilities have sunk. Just watch the link i put up on the Grant Holt birthday thread and it makes you weep.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just shows to what level our striking capabilities have sunk. Just watch the link i put up on the Grant Holt birthday thread and it makes you weep.[/quote]

This is true but when we signed Holt he appeared to be on the wrong end of an average career and was plying his trade in a lower division. If we signed him now people would be up in arms about our lack of ambition and how the club were doing it on the cheap, it is only hindsight that showed just how good he was.

[quote user="hogesar"]"He nearly missed"
So you mean he scored?
[/quote]

NO! I mean that even when presented with a sitter he nearly messed it up....it went in off the goalkeeper''s boot.

The early(ish) signs are that this guy is far from (and never will be) the natural striker our Club so desperately needs, as demonstrated week in/week out.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]"He nearly missed"
So you mean he scored?
[/quote]

NO! I mean that even when presented with a sitter he nearly messed it up....it went in off the goalkeeper''s boot.

The early(ish) signs are that this guy is far from (and never will be) the natural striker our Club so desperately needs, as demonstrated week in/week out.[/quote]
So to reiterate, by "he nearly messed it up" you mean he scored?

"...people would be up in arms about our lack of ambition and how the club were doing it on the cheap..."DD that is a fine point. This board would be in meltdown with a Holt-type signing today with accusations of lack of ambition, we got no cash, wallet''s empty, little old Norwich, club''s a joke, club''s in turmoil, Webber out, Farke off, etc., etc,. etc., etc.It suits the agenda of some to hope that signings like Srbeny are not a success. Shame on them.Apples

Holty wasn''t an ''unknown quantity'' though, was he?.....He had done the rounds in the lower leagues and then started proving himself with Rochdale, Forest and the Shrews......and with those sides had a decent strike rate, and was a rough bustling pain in the butt for opposition defences and also a team talisman. He had displayed the credentials before we signed him....

I really do want Dennis to do well......as I did RVW........But y''know, sometimes football''s like that......

The fact remains that Holt was very much regarded as a bit of a journeyman when he came to us, and many weren''t that impressed with the signing.

It does seem that some seem rather desperate for Dennis to fail (hence the ''he nearly missed'' comment, as opposed to ''he scored''). We don''t really have much to go on yet but I certainly hope he''ll come off, and we''ll know more on that following a close-season working with DF et al.

Sbreny needs time to prove himself or otherwise.

He''s not been an instant hit for sure and his attributes, such as they are, do not immediately impress as much of some of his clear shortcomings do.

BUT, time he must be given.

Whether or not a rookie in that position was the right player needed there at the time is another matter.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]"...people would be up in arms about our lack of ambition and how the club were doing it on the cheap..."DD that is a fine point. This board would be in meltdown with a Holt-type signing today with accusations of lack of ambition, we got no cash, wallet''s empty, little old Norwich, club''s a joke, club''s in turmoil, Webber out, Farke off, etc., etc,. etc., etc.It suits the agenda of some to hope that signings like Srbeny are not a success. Shame on them.Apples

[/quote]The accusations as you put it Apples with regard to '' we got no cash '' and  '' wallet''s empty '' are in fact true and have been obvious for a fair while  to those looking at the bigger picture.

Depends what you mean by a ''Holt like signing.''

He was a bit of a journeyman but he''d also scored 20 goals in the league below us the season before. I''m sure if we bought someone with 20 League One goals this summer people would be reasonably pleased.

If anyone had doubted Holty''s credentials when we got him, then they hadn''t bothered to find out about him.  He was always going to be a success for us being the goal scoring nightmare for defenders he was in the league we were entering at the time - and that he succeeded at the higher levels too was not a surprise.   That he arrived when he did (thanks to Bryan Gunn) success was all but guaranteed - he was made for Norwich.

Holty was a good signing at the time but there was little to no evidence he could do it a a higher level than where we were. His career was generally seen as good in the lower leagues and Forest played him out wide for a lot of his time there. The point still stands.
Til desperate as ever for Srbeny to be a failure after his ridiculous comments about him as soon as he played 10 minutes.

"If anyone had doubted Holty''s credentials when we got him, then they hadn''t bothered to find out about him. He was always going to be a success for us being the goal scoring nightmare for defenders he was in the league we were entering at the time"

Some proper nonsense with hindsight there LDC. He''d bounced around the lower leagues, had a record of 21 goals in 90 odd games for Forest at League One level and before his season with Shrewsbury had never managed 20 in a season. He was great for us but to claim he was some form of ''sure thing'' when he joined is ridiculous.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just shows to what level our striking capabilities have sunk. Just watch the link i put up on the Grant Holt birthday thread and it makes you weep.[/quote]I don''t think using Grant Holt as a comparison is very fair on any of the strikers we''ve had since then.Holt just clicked here. After being signed to play in League One, where we were by far and away the best team in the league, he scored a bunch of goals and his confidence and status grew along with our rise to the Prem. He''s a legend here, but didn''t do particularly brilliantly after he left.It''s also worth pointing out that he was signed for around £400,000 which is a fair bit less than we''ve paid for any of our strikers since. I imagine we even paid more than that for Srbeny (appreciate that time has moved on and with it the cost of football players).So, in short, I am not weeping about the past. Seriously... What''s the point? Try and focus on helping those we have now to settle.

[quote user="king canary"]"If anyone had doubted Holty''s credentials when we got him, then they hadn''t bothered to find out about him. He was always going to be a success for us being the goal scoring nightmare for defenders he was in the league we were entering at the time"

Some proper nonsense with hindsight there LDC. He''d bounced around the lower leagues, had a record of 21 goals in 90 odd games for Forest at League One level and before his season with Shrewsbury had never managed 20 in a season. He was great for us but to claim he was some form of ''sure thing'' when he joined is ridiculous.[/quote]I don''t think anyone has done their due dilligence.We signed Holt from LEAGUE TWO Shrewsbury. We then went into League One... Unless I missed our tenure in League Two!

Well due dilegence or not, I remember watching Sky Sports on a Saturday afternoon time after time hearing how Grant Holt had scored "yet again" and comments like "he is unstoppable" all at a time when we had no-one scoring many for us - and wishing we would buy someone like him. So was genuinely excited when we got him, no hindsight about it.

"I was vey suprised Dennis Sbeny didn''t stat against Sundeland...."We probably didn''t have enough cash to pay his bonus if he scored again.Apples

I can''t see why people aren''t willing to give him some time. I think he''s been decent since he arrived. The goal (or near miss!) should give him some additional confidence and gets the pressure of scoring his first goal off his back.

I seem to recall a Mr Roberts who started very poorly for us but went on to be a decent striker!!

Dennis Sbreny hasn''t earned the right to be included in the same sentence as either Grant Holt or Euan Roberts.

If he does make it it will be in his own style, more Roberts than Holt, but mostly his own.

A lot of us say that he needs time to adjust and settle, me included, but then the question arises as to how much ''time'' is involved here.

Some have put a ten game time limit on Daniel Farke I notice. With Sbreny I feel that he needs to hit the ground running as soon as next season begins, even as second or back-up striker.

I don''t feel that anybody genuinely wants him to fail, but he''s hardly been an instant success. I seem to remember that when young Chris Martin burst through our ranks he hit the goal trail immediately, in stark contrast to DS.

Chis Martin, although having a decent career at a decent level has never played Premiership football.

Actually Derby, I thought he made a deliberate effort to put it through the keeper''s legs as he didn''t have many other options given the angle it came over at.

Still, I''m sure you''re being entirely fair, balanced and reasonable with your striking assessments :-)

[quote user="king canary"]@Bobloz

Nobody has said we were in league 2?[/quote]I swear you don''t read posts properly, KC! [:|]LDC stated we signed him from a team that were in the same league as we were going down to. We didn''t. We signed him from Shrewsbury who were in League Two.You didn''t pick up on that point either.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Chis Martin, although having a decent career at a decent level has never played Premiership football.[/quote]Apart from the 5 times he played for us in the Premier League.

[quote user="king canary"]I didn''t pick up on that point because he didn''t make it.[/quote]

Yes he did.