Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Guess who is not playing for U23’s

Have no fears he''s planning for a comeback in time for the beginning of next season.

His injury woes have gone on so long now that they have become a source of amusement on the basis that it is better to laugh than cry. I retain some sympathy for the player, despite all.

Re: My first para.

The truth is that a fully fit, up-and-running Matt Jarvis, who was in his day was a skilful and speedy wide man who attained England international status could be just the ticket for our squad at the outset of next season.

Injuries apart, he has probably lost a lot from his best by now.

I for one though wouldn''t put the mortgage on my garden shed on him ever playing in the yellow again at a meaningful manner.

Poor Jarvis it must be time for him to retire soon his body just can not take professional football

i feel for him by the look of it he can get 80 to 90 % fit but then breaks down even if he got 100 % fit i doubt he has kept his ability for such a long lay off

[quote user="norfolkngood"] even if he got 100 % fit i doubt he has kept his ability for such a long lay off[/quote]

You never lose your ability. If he gets 100% fit, he will still be able to play.  The issue is can he get fit.

"You never lose your ability. If he gets 100% fit, he will still be able to play. The issue is can he get fit."

Yer what! He''ll be coming up to 32 soon, he was in his twenties when he joined City.

Even the most positive perspective there could possibly be cannot refute the effects of old father time.

Furthermore his position demands pace. He will have lost some through age, along with injury and his long lay-off.

We are talking about Matt Jarvis here, not Wes Hoolihan.

I like to be positive and would therefore aspire to him contributing a little to the City cause before his pending retirement. It will be just a little though.

Remember us all mocking the perpetually injured Zak Whitbread but he came back and was a key man in the promotion campaign.

Big if but if Jarvis can get fit he could be very effective for us next season

I''m one of those who didn''t think he was all that before all the injuries here so I don''t think he''ll make much of an impact.

Although LDC''s post is, yet again, complete nonsense.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m one of those who didn''t think he was all that before all the injuries here so I don''t think he''ll make much of an impact.

Although LDC''s post is, yet again, complete nonsense.[/quote]No it isn''t.  You don''t lose your ability because you are injured, you just lose your fitness.  Get the fitness back and there will still be a player there.  Age comes into it of course, but when people come back from long lay offs,  hat holds them back is whether they can get back to full fitness or not.  As long as he keeps his motivation there and the belief he can get back, there is every chance he will play for us and have something to offer.  "Ability" doesn''t just go away, fitness can go, motivation can go, but ability, doesn''t.

Of course players can lose ability. Several injuries could have a psychological effect and therefore a player’s quality could worsen. We’ve seen it in players before who have suddenly dropped off - Fernando Torres was never as good after all his injuries, for example.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Of course players can lose ability. Several injuries could have a psychological effect and therefore a player’s quality could worsen. We’ve seen it in players before who have suddenly dropped off - Fernando Torres was never as good after all his injuries, for example.[/quote]Probably because he never recovered full fitness.  You don''t inherently lose the knowlegde, the skills or the technique because you are injured - they are ingrained in your mind and psyche - what you can lose is the fitness/motivation/confidence to be able to bring them out at their best.   Whatever kind of player he was before the injuries, he is still that player - unless he can''t regain full fitness. Fitness is the issue, not ability.

[quote user="Van wink"]Any news on Louis Thompson?[/quote]

Last I heard Thompson was very much planned to return after the summer for pre-season and unlikely to do any match work as he had to have an operation. I believe he is training at Colney, but mainly fitness and rehab

Feel sorry for Matt Jarvis myself, he comes across as a thoroughly decent man and I don’t feel he deserves abuse (which of course he doesn’t) just because his injuries are making it hard for him to return to full fitness. I’m fairly confident he’ll be as frustrated as anyone that he’s not playing 90mins each week, but I wish him the best of luck in doing so.

You never lose your ability. If he gets 100% fit, he will still be able to play. The issue is can he get fit.

LDC you lose ability because your body can not do what it did 5 years ago

timing and touch may also suffer due to lack of practice

players lose ability if you do not practice in is a downward curve

if what you are saying is correct if he got fit again he could be on the verge of the England team ?? Never in a million years even if he got 110 % fit he would of lost pace confidence in his body and ability

@LDC

I suppose it depends on if you consider pace, ability to beat a man etc to be fitness or ability.

If you''re saying about whether he can get his body back to where it was pre injury, I''d suggest that would be highly unlikely medically. Things won''t just heal back into place.

If he ever gets back to consistent match fitness the question will be can he adapt his game to suit the limitations he''ll probably have.

Long injury lay offs don''t have to be a set back once the player gets back to fitness.  It all depends on the individual, but the skills he has learned, the experience he has had playing in the past, the watching of the game from the sidelines can all lead to a better understanding of the game and how to play it.  Also, the fact that he hasn''t played for so long will mean he has not had so much wear and tear as players who have played practically non stop year after year, so his body may be capable of more than people think.  Alan Shearer for one is an example of a player who has had career threatening injuries and long lay offs and who managed to come back as good if not better than they were before.  Two seasons out is a long time, but I wouldn''t write him off.  Never say never.

Hell never play a Norwich City first team game again. I wouldn’t be surprised (and have heard from some meone who works at the club) if he never played professional football again. His body is better broken.

This time, with the proper spelling and grammar:-

He’ll never play a Norwich City first team game again. I wouldn’t be surprised (and have heard from someone who works at the club) if he never played professional football again. His body is broken.

I find it odd that there seems to be many fans who slate Jarvis for being injured but can''t wait for Thompson to be back. He''s had two pretty bad injures and hasn''t played for two seasons either so may never make it back or be the player his early potential showed him to be. I hope he does (and Jarvis as well), but some people are ''injury prone'' once they''ve had that first bad injury.

On the ''never lose your ability'' point. There is a physiological barrier once you''ve had an injury, whether conscious or not, that may stop a player from doing that thing they did when they injured themselves before. You see it all the times, players who can''t turn as fast, kick as well or will back out of a challenge after a lay off.

[quote user="capricorn1"]On the ''never lose your ability'' point. There is a physiological barrier once you''ve had an injury, whether conscious or not, that may stop a player from doing that thing they did when they injured themselves before. You see it all the times, players who can''t turn as fast, kick as well or will back out of a challenge after a lay off.[/quote]

I''d agree with that, but that is why it is up to the individual concerned and how they react to their situation. Some players get back to their best or better, some don''t, so imo those that just say Jarvis can''t do it are just being negative for the sake of it - mainly because they didn''t rate the player in the first place.

I don''t think anyone slates Jarvis himself for being injured, just more that fans are fed up with the whole saga (as i am sure is he) and the fact we are presumably shelling out a load of money in wages for a player who doesn''t ever play for us (and possibly won;t again) at a time when money is becoming tight again,

Thompson was signed from the lower leagues, won;t be on as much money and as far as I am aware did not have a significant track record of injuries before the two he''s suffered with us. With Jarvis on the other hand he was actually injured at the time we signed him permanently and many at the time queried that decision so there is bound to be a bit more comment in his non availability than there is with thompson.

Feel sorry for the bloke. Of cause you can lose ability, especially after so many injuries.