Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

If you had to choose Colin or Farke

Modern, harmonising, thoughtful, communicative ......that is Farke. So, in terms of what I want in a manager he fulfills the brief. I can accept a season and promise of improvement for next. Warnock has yet to get Cardiff to the Premiership so let''s see. I like his direct northern sensitivity and humour and he gets teams to gel together very well, except in the Premier.

I think what many fans (I include myself in this) have struggled with this season as it has gone on is that Farke has prioritized getting the players playing thew way he wants over results. Once playoffs became unlikely this was always pretty sensible but from a fans perspective it has been frustrating.

Of course as soon as August rolls around then results become king again. There isn''t infinite patience and if we start poorly playing the same slow, sideways passing with little end product then his time will soon be up.

[quote user="king canary"]I think what many fans (I include myself in this) have struggled with this season as it has gone on is that Farke has prioritized getting the players playing thew way he wants over results. Once playoffs became unlikely this was always pretty sensible but from a fans perspective it has been frustrating.

Of course as soon as August rolls around then results become king again. There isn''t infinite patience and if we start poorly playing the same slow, sideways passing with little end product then his time will soon be up.[/quote]
I think thats fair but I also think it''s the remit that was given to him. It''s certainly what Webber has continuously strived to tell us at every conceivable moment so i''d imagine he''s purely doing what he was brought in to do.
I think our passing has improved, the pace has generally improved and we''ve generally been more creative in games as the season has gone on. However, we''ve not improved in taking our chances at any point throughout the season and so some fans won''t accept that statement.

Yes the finishing needs to improve but I still believe it is a bit simplistic to put things down solely to that. We could still stand to be more creative and move the ball quicker when the opportunity arises. We also need to be able to mix things up when we''re facing massed ranks of defence when teams are willing to let us come on to them.

The concern of course is that we sell Maddison and get less creative. Goalscorers at Championship level are expensive now so solving the finishing issue isn''t going to be easy either.

On the performance of the ref, I noticed that he actually spoke to their captain about the number of fouls being committed before he booked someone. I don''t think many were bookable in their own right, but it was the sheer number and the way that different players were taking turns to do it that annoyed me. In that respect, it must have been a clear tactic that Colin and his coaches had suggested - targeting Maddison, Murphy and Vrancic. There is no way they''ll get away with that in the Prem if they go up - refs will reach for the yellow card much earlier.

Despite that, I thought our football, and the game in general, was pretty entertaining - if you were bored with that then you''re probably watching the wrong team/sport.

Sorry, didn''t realise there was only one type of football to be watched. And I could say the same thing about your thinking.

If only life was a series of dualities to choose from, black and white etc. And if only we had to choose. We have Farke. He has half a season ahead (probably the most he can expect too) to prove something and that will be we are genuine contenders for the most part of next years campaign.

Look at Warnock''s overall record....promotions yes but in a long,long career. Plenty of also-rans in his portfolio too. FFS, this is Farke''s first season.

Farke - although he is not yet the finished article, he has done well with a team that needs to bed down and hopefully have fewer injuries to important players, and he is lacking effective strikers currently.

I hope that in a year or two he can emerge comparable to other Germans in management.

You might want to specify which Germans- there are plenty of Germans who have been shit at managing football teams...

My father in law is a Fulham fan and he still shakes his head at the thought of who suggested Felix Magath.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]The last two home games have been better, ball moved forward a lot faster. Only one more to go ![/quote]

I''d agree with this - we''ve probably only had our first choice 11 on the pitch for 6 or 7 games this season. I think a striker like Srebny, supported by Hernandez, Murphy and Maddison is a great forward line. If Srebny continues to develop - and I do think he has improved - there should be more goals.

[quote user="hogesar"]That''s not the point coops, and if I have to explain it theres little point.[/quote]

My point was they wouldn’t hire Warnock as he is not a yes man and would probably challenge the board in regards to transfers etc etc. Webber isn’t the manager so I don’t get your point.

it''s a strange question to ask as the question is pretty much "2nd vs mid table" when asked this late in the season.

Wonder how many people who have picked Warnock were suggesting him this time last year when he was guiding Cardiff to a 12th place finish

[quote user="coops"][quote user="hogesar"]That''s not the point coops, and if I have to explain it theres little point.[/quote]

My point was they wouldn’t hire Warnock as he is not a yes man and would probably challenge the board in regards to transfers etc etc. Webber isn’t the manager so I don’t get your point.[/quote]
But Webber now challenges the board. And has been openly critical of past actions under their ownership (rightly or wrongly). So to say that he wouldn''t get a look in because he isn''t a ''yes man'' is a lazy argument, because the board wouldn''t have given Webber such an important role in running the club if they were only after ''yes'' men.