Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Reed and Leitner to stay ?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]For both of them, it''s down to wages and how much the home clubs want them [/quote]Therein lies the big question as I doubt we are paying full whack for either of them.S''oton might just be happy to get his contract off the wage bill - whereas Leitner might see his loan as a ''rehab'' session, though I''m sure if he could he would prefer to stay in the Championship. Far better for getting noticed if he feels he could play higher.My thought would be, is that Farke et al are looking good as far as improving players, so if neither stays my money would be on them to turn up a few more ''diamonds that need polishing''.

re Farke & Webber signing unpolished diamonds, I think that''ll wear thin very quickly next season. There won''t be the same level of patience as they''ve had with Zimmermann, Trybull and Srebny.

Yes, most educated fans understand the financial situation we''re in, but expectations are still that we should be challenging for promotion. We need to hit the ground running in August and if we''re not top 6 or thereabouts in October, the calls for Farke to go will be getting louder.

[quote user="Woodman"]re Farke & Webber signing unpolished diamonds, I think that''ll wear thin very quickly next season. There won''t be the same level of patience as they''ve had with Zimmermann, Trybull and Srebny.

Yes, most educated fans understand the financial situation we''re in, but expectations are still that we should be challenging for promotion. We need to hit the ground running in August and if we''re not top 6 or thereabouts in October, the calls for Farke to go will be getting louder.[/quote]oh dear

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Leitner and Trybull midfield and £25m in the bank for Maddison would be great business. if we could also secure Reed and maybe persuade Tettey to stay , add the youngster we have out on loan and the midfield would start to look okay. imo[/quote]

We as a team do not score goals, Maddison has been involved in 26 points worth of goals. Leitner & Trybull, although good players, seem to be injury prone & will not give us the goals we will miss if Maddison goes. McClean is also not the answer... The midfield has to chip in with it''s fair share of goals, stats say that next year would be an issue

Tend to agree with Woodman to be honest. No excuses and after all Wagner delivered 2nd season, so expectations are high.

"Yes, most educated fans understand the financial situation we''re in..."

I think all fans know we have no money, they just disagree on who is to blame & what the solution is...

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Leitner and Trybull midfield and £25m in the bank for Maddison would be great business. if we could also secure Reed and maybe persuade Tettey to stay , add the youngster we have out on loan and the midfield would start to look okay. imo[/quote]

We as a team do not score goals, Maddison has been involved in 26 points worth of goals. Leitner & Trybull, although good players, seem to be injury prone & will not give us the goals we will miss if Maddison goes. McClean is also not the answer... The midfield has to chip in with it''s fair share of goals, stats say that next year would be an issue[/quote]
Are Leitner and Trybull injury prone though? Trybull was only out injured for a few days with an ankle in 3 years before joining us so not sure that''s true. Leitner has had about 20 days out in 3 years so again, not really a big injury concern. They''ve picked up knocks here but nothing to suggest that''s the case moving forwards. Also is there a reason why McClean isn''t an answer? Also what was the question?

Interesting Hoegsar- I''d got it in my head Leitner hadn''t played much these last two years due in injury but it seems he just wasn''t being picked.

[quote user="king canary"]Interesting Hoegsar- I''d got it in my head Leitner hadn''t played much these last two years due in injury but it seems he just wasn''t being picked.[/quote]
Yeah, you have to go back to 2014/15 for him to have had double figures in appearances!

He''s obviously had a bit of a weird career.

I''ve missed a few matches recently so I''m deferring to the opinions of others on him right now.

[quote user="Bigears"][quote user="Woodman"]re Farke & Webber signing unpolished diamonds, I think that''ll wear thin very quickly next season. There won''t be the same level of patience as they''ve had with Zimmermann, Trybull and Srebny.

Yes, most educated fans understand the financial situation we''re in, but expectations are still that we should be challenging for promotion. We need to hit the ground running in August and if we''re not top 6 or thereabouts in October, the calls for Farke to go will be getting louder.[/quote]oh dear[/quote]

"the calls for Farke to go will be getting louder"

Unless our home form & his 35% win rate improve I believe the calls will get much louder & not just for Farke...

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Mike "][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Leitner and Trybull midfield and £25m in the bank for Maddison would be great business. if we could also secure Reed and maybe persuade Tettey to stay , add the youngster we have out on loan and the midfield would start to look okay. imo[/quote]

We as a team do not score goals, Maddison has been involved in 26 points worth of goals. Leitner & Trybull, although good players, seem to be injury prone & will not give us the goals we will miss if Maddison goes. McClean is also not the answer... The midfield has to chip in with it''s fair share of goals, stats say that next year would be an issue[/quote]
Are Leitner and Trybull injury prone though? Trybull was only out injured for a few days with an ankle in 3 years before joining us so not sure that''s true. Leitner has had about 20 days out in 3 years so again, not really a big injury concern. They''ve picked up knocks here but nothing to suggest that''s the case moving forwards. Also is there a reason why McClean isn''t an answer? Also what was the question?
[/quote]

Will those players score goals? It''s simple question & stats say no. Maddison has been involved in assists & scoring 26 points worth of goals (Guardian stat). Mclean has not a great goal scoring record. To win games you need to score, we struggle already. Pretty simple really

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I was going to say the same about McLean, how much have you seen him play Mike ?[/quote]

Having been born in Aberdeen and having season ticket holder mates, I can tell you that he is no Maddison. Decent player in SCotland & hopefully in the Championship next year... also have watched Aberdeen a fair bit on TV... you?

I’m not making judgements on a player until I’ve seen him play regularly. I’m also not going to compare him to Maddison, there’s no point in that is there ?

Again... whilst Leitner, Reed & McClean maybe ok players, I am questioning who is going to score the 10 goals plus from midfield that all promotion sides have? Given that me have a pretty ineffective strike force (Dennis is definitely not good enough). This is why the Maddison comparisons are 100% relevant

It will be interesting to see where Mclean fits in as he is predominantly a CM who can play out wide in a similar mould to Vrancic perhaps, but arguably a bit better defensively. That means he is probably more likely a replacement for Leitner rather than Maddison.

But yes, point made Mike, Mclean scores goals, but not that regularly. We still need a few more goalscorers in the side that''s for sure.

This is my point, you can’t compare him to Maddison until he’s playing in his place, at the moment we don’t know where he’ll play

[quote user="Mike "]Again... whilst Leitner, Reed & McClean maybe ok players, I am questioning who is going to score the 10 goals plus from midfield that all promotion sides have? Given that me have a pretty ineffective strike force (Dennis is definitely not good enough). This is why the Maddison comparisons are 100% relevant[/quote]Careful Mike or else you will end up with me in the naughty corner for saying things like that. [:P]

We might not need someone scoring that many from midfield if we can spread the creative/goal scoring burden out. 5 or 6 each from Leitner, McLean, Vrancic and Hernandez would be a start, along with Murphy carrying on his goal scoring form.

Plus a striker chipping in with more than 10 goals would help. Oliveira, Jerome, Watkins and Srebny have scored 12 between them..

There''s little point in asking who is going to replace Maddison''s goals and assists when we have no idea who else is leaving and, more importantly, who is coming in. There are also loads of other factors that contribute and how all of those will pan out is unknown. Some teams are greater than the sum of their parts. We are looking for a magic formula, not a magic bullet. Also, some luck helps.

[quote user="king canary"]We might not need someone scoring that many from midfield if we can spread the creative/goal scoring burden out. 5 or 6 each from Leitner, McLean, Vrancic and Hernandez would be a start, along with Murphy carrying on his goal scoring form.[/quote]
I think that''s what we have to aim towards because the chances of us unearthing a player who''ll have as significant a bearing on the team as Maddison is pretty unlikely!
It''s worth noting that in a season where they''ve both been in and out of the team and our goalscoring has been restrictive at best, both Trybull and Vrancic have 3 goals this season.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Mike "]Again... whilst Leitner, Reed & McClean maybe ok players, I am questioning who is going to score the 10 goals plus from midfield that all promotion sides have? Given that me have a pretty ineffective strike force (Dennis is definitely not good enough). This is why the Maddison comparisons are 100% relevant[/quote]Careful Mike or else you will end up with me in the naughty corner for saying things like that. [:P][/quote]

Noted..... (have bought a tin hat so that may help :o)