Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Reed and Leitner to stay ?

Pleased to hear that we are hoping they will stay. Would be good news as can only see them improving.

Only downside has to be that Southampton look like coming down unless they suddenly find some better form. If they do they would be more likely to want Reed back I would guess.

Reed has a contract until 2021 so won''t be cheap I''d wager.

Leitner''s recent injury history should knock a bit off the price though.

I have a strong suspicion that Leitner is the deal that Webber stated a couple of weeks ago that has been done and dusted already for the summer. With regard to Reed the biggest concern is the impending relegation of Southampton who would have to cut their cloth accordingly budget wise and may well see him as part of their plans for 2018/19.

I would be very surprised (and very happy!) if we''ve managed to secure Leitner on a contract, Til.

[quote user="hogesar"]I would be very surprised (and very happy!) if we''ve managed to secure Leitner on a contract, Til.[/quote]I am sure i read somewhere that Webber said a deal for someone had been sorted but maybe i have put two and two together and come up with five ?

[quote user="hogesar"]I would be very surprised (and very happy!) if we''ve managed to secure Leitner on a contract, Til.[/quote]I may be wrong but I think Bethnal made the point that Leitner''s signing for Augsburg came just as a new manager was appointed there, with the implication that he was not entirely that manager''s choice. In any event under that manager in the second half of the season Leitner only started two games and came on as a sub four times, and didn''t play at all in the first half of this season, before being loaned to us.Assuming that manager is there for the coming season I would imagine Augsburg might well be willing to offload Leitner to us, assuming he wants to stay here.In which case, although we are probably losing Tettey, Hoolahan and Maddison from midfield, we could be replacing them with McLean, Trybull and a by then acclimatised Vrancic and Leitner..

Leitner and Trybull midfield and £25m in the bank for Maddison would be great business. if we could also secure Reed and maybe persuade Tettey to stay , add the youngster we have out on loan and the midfield would start to look okay. imo

Indeed TGD it would. Don''t forget we also have Thompson to come back, who was showing very encouraging form before he was injured and then Godfrey, who has barely missed a game in League One, acclimatising well in a very physical league. Both cannot be far away from first team action. Oh to have such talent and options in attack, when midfield looks so strong.

I thought Leitner was a big money signing for Augsburg from Lazio but a trawl round the net puts the fee paid at around £1.8 million. That`s not a huge fee and surely within our reach and Augsburg wages are amongst the lowest in the Bundesliga so that should not be an issue.

What we spend is probably what we get in from sales, minus the amount the powers that be decide to salt away to cover any losses. There have been rumours that we do actually have a few bob in the bank, but it can''t be much.

The purchase of both Leitner and Reed should secure the midfield even if Madisson is sold.

Our main saleable assets, Madisson apart, are clearly Klose, Oliveira and perhaps Murphy (whether or not you have decided that he is your flavour of the month I suppose.) Another might be Pinto, you never know. Windshutt might also fetch a little if he is moved on, whilst it is expecting too much to get something for the write-off that is Naismith.

Selling Klose would mean another centre half is needed and we have previously shown an interest in this Leistner (not to be confused with Leitner,) details elsewhere. If these, or other transactions re: TK come off we will likely be quids in so we might cover Leitner''s fee and more.

The midfield with Leitner/Reed is therefore is strong, imo, but it is now a given that the striking options need upgrading, perhaps by two players.

Selling Ollie for a few millions would help here, but clearly some of the supposed Madisson windfall would need re-investing in this area of the squad.

Murphy remains the enigma, but I hold the view that if a high enough (too high?) offer came in then we should cash in. Apparently minor PL clubs are sniffing. Some on here would wince in horror at this outcome, others would be over the moon.

Two strikers, a wide man and perhaps a new central defender are priorities after we secure Reed and/or Leitner.

Last Summer was eventful and interesting, this coming one might well rival it.

Interestingly no mention of Gunn... There were rumours of course it was a 2 year loan but we''ll see I guess.

As for Reed and Leitner, they would both be good signings. Leitner is a great replacement for Wes in the squad and brings in a decent amount of experience too despite still being a good age.

Reed for me should be a signing we do everything to pursue. He''s been excellent all season.

Ive heard a couple of bits, but lets put this into perspective.

If Saints come down they will want him and im sure he will be a prominant player in the quest to get them promoted.

Leitner is class, ive heard he misses Germany and sees this very much as an opp to get match fit and back playing regularly. I would bloody love him here as he is a class act!

I don''t think we''ll get both, but of the two, I''d rather have Leitner, though I do like Reed a lot.

Worst case scenario (no disrespect to these players) is a central midfield combination of Thompson, Godfrey, Trybull, Vrancic, MacLean.

Best case: all of the above, plus Maddison, Reed, Tettey and Leitner. But can''t see us having 9 competing for 2/3 positions.

It must be assumed we are losing Maddison, hopefully for a massive fee, but I don''t really think we have anyone remotely close in terms of influence on the game, including Wes.

While Leitner, Trybull, Reed are all competent midfield players and Thompson and Godfrey will be available, there will be no-one with that flair to compensate.

And I believe you desperately need one of those type of players not only yo help you win but excite the crowd.

Hucks, Wes, Holt and Maddison have been so important for the last 15 years and I think of Neves at Wolves and see what he has done for the team.

Yes I would like Leitner and Reed to stay. But I don''t want to see us swollen with similar midfield players.

A lot of the time on Saturday, Leitner was wanting to dictate the play in a similar way to how Maddison has done for most of the season. I don''t think they got in each other''s way that much, but it did sometimes feel like they were both in the same position on the pitch trying to do the same thing. Assuming Maddison does go, I can''t see Leitner scoring the 14-15 goals that he has this season.

[quote user="Woodman"] Assuming Maddison does go, I can''t see Leitner scoring the 14-15 goals that he has this season.[/quote]

On the other hand, he might set up more chances for others and produce goals that way - that is assuming the front players sort it out between them to take their chances.  Leitner would likely score a few - much like Wes does occasionally. Vrancic may score more too -- he has a more than decent shot on him. It would be hoped that Reed is surplus to requirements at Southampton - they may need to offload a few players and he seems to like it at CR. 

Reed has shown great desire, but I feel he lacks the height to replace Tettey if he leaves. The championship is such a physical league and that has mainly been our undoing this year. Whether Godfrey or Thompson are the answer that remains to be seen, but I would rather see money saved on Reed and go towards a striker.

Even if we keep Reed and Leitner, its a given that we need a striker. I also think we need a right back unless Reed signs and a goalkeeper unless Gunn stays.

Much depends on those who leave, and I suspect the club will be trying it''s hardest to sell or agree to cancel the contracts of McGovern, Naismith, Martin, Jarvis and Wildschut.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Ive heard a couple of bits, but lets put this into perspective.

If Saints come down they will want him and im sure he will be a prominant player in the quest to get them promoted.

Leitner is class, ive heard he misses Germany and sees this very much as an opp to get match fit and back playing regularly. I would bloody love him here as he is a class act![/quote]

Thanks for the info. Shame Leitner feels that way, he is indeed class and a player I’m very much enjoy watching.

"Time for a big love in for Leitner against Leeds then. Convince him that he prefers being in England after all"

Definitely. We spend time pronouncing on message boards, but there''s precious little we fans can actually do that might make a difference. However, persuading a player who might be unsure about staying that he''s appreciated here is one of the few things we can do. Mortiz Leitner, stay next year, stay next year, stay next year.....

And if he plays as well as he did against Cardiff, can the sponsors make him MotM, please?