Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

£3.5m Academy Fund - who's in?

Not a chance. It absolutely stinks. I''m in business and I wouldn''t touch it with a bargepole. Anyone who had the misfortune of working at Carrow Road will know that finances are not their strong suit. There are better places to earn 5%.

The bottom line as this is - If owners will not invest that is their prerogative, but then sell the shares to somebody that will instead of Delia''s self promotion.

[quote user="Sooty"]Further to that I would suggest that this is more ''hobby'' than being part of anyones saving or investment plans.The return is fair but does tie your money up for 5 yearsAnd it is not about ''putting your money where your mouth is'' as many fans are in a different stage in their life and so are unable to commit this level of money....over this amount of time either.It''s not cap in hand from the club either, merely what those who imagine they have come up with something new refer to as ''crowd funding''How much it raise we shall have to see, but it will be the big investors will make the difference - but it certainly allows supporters to become involved at a lower level.[/quote]

Spot on Sooty, I definitely related to the Crowd Funding bit right off the bat.

Think this is excellent vision from the club, it gives everyday supporters an opportunity to be involved or not, am just about to register.

[quote user="komakino"]Not a chance. It absolutely stinks. I''m in business and I wouldn''t touch it with a bargepole. Anyone who had the misfortune of working at Carrow Road will know that finances are not their strong suit. There are better places to earn 5%.

The bottom line as this is - If owners will not invest that is their prerogative, but then sell the shares to somebody that will instead of Delia''s self promotion.[/quote]I don''t think you quite understand the word investBut then I doubt this venture would fall were it reliant on your contribution... or not

ps as to finances they have failed so far to run up £90m of debt, no string off unpaid creditors, nor have they defrauded the Inland Revenue - and they didn''t stiff their supporters with worthless shares where the money ended up being paid to a Nigerian with a dubious age claim

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Everyone has a personal savings allowance (PSA), this is £1,000 for a basic-rate tax payer of £500 for a higher-rate tax payer.

My very limited understanding is that since this bond will only pay out once after 5-years the full amount of interest will be applicable to your 2023 PSA (and by then the PSA could be totally different).

Should you invest £500 in a bond you''d be looking at interest of £138 after the 5-years (assuming it does pay 5%), so depending on your circumstances and other interest payments it could be all or part taxable.[/quote]

Matt - looking at the Q&A section on the page below it says that the interest is paid annually

https://www.tifosy.com/en/campaigns/pre-register-to-invest-in-the-canaries-bond

Spot on Sooty, I definitely related to the Crowd Funding bit right off the bat.

This difference here is it is not equity whereby you are risking your money.But as said, it is for those able and should be seen as that, and it is for something that is tangible... bricks and mortar etcSadly i don''t doubt the usual cretins will pop up using this as a peg to hang their anti club gripes on.However I''m sure the majority of genuine supporters will understand what the club is trying to achieve, and welcome it

[quote user="Sooty"]Further to that I would suggest that this is more ''hobby'' than being part of anyones saving or investment plans.The return is fair but does tie your money up for 5 yearsAnd it is not about ''putting your money where your mouth is'' as many fans are in a different stage in their life and so are unable to commit this level of money....over this amount of time either.It''s not cap in hand from the club either, merely what those who imagine they have come up with something new refer to as ''crowd funding''How much it raise we shall have to see, but it will be the big investors will make the difference - but it certainly allows supporters to become involved at a lower level.[/quote]

If the owners will not invest then they should attract investment to the club, otherwise they serve no purpose other than to themselves - which is what is happening right now.

I agree Sooty - can you imagine the fuss if Board members lent the money themselves at 5% p.a. - there would be an outcry - "feathering their own nest" etc - despite the fact that this is what some of their beloved investors do. I imagine that if not all the bonds sell, that this is quite a likely option - i.e. Board members buy up the rest.

I am definitely going to do this. 5% is a reasonable return, 3% to set against season ticket price and I feel confident we will achieve promotion in 5 years so a 25% bonus makes for a great little punt. And the club benefits, win-win situation.

You also get free pre season tickets if you are a bronze level bond holderYes, some of this might not be as costly to the club as it is beneficial to the supporter but when you see how other clubs have piled in recklessly and then been saddled with log term debt, this keeps the '' debt'' at arm''slength from the cluband suggests a long term commitment to Cat 1 and the academy

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]I am definitely going to do this. 5% is a reasonable return, 3% to set against season ticket price and I feel confident we will achieve promotion in 5 years so a 25% bonus makes for a great little punt. And the club benefits, win-win situation.[/quote]
Pretty much how I see it. I won''t be investing anything big, but its more of a fun little investment and like you say, the 25% bonus makes it a bit more interesting.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I would like Smith and Jones to come out publicaly and say how much they are putting in.[/quote]I imagine that they are giving the fans "first dibs" as it''s an attractive package - I think they may well take up any slack.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Surely this is attracting investment. Or isn''t fans money good enough?[/quote]
To be fair this is probably the best form of investment! If we have the fans that want to do it, then in my mind they''re the best type of investor. Getting something out of it too. [:)]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Surely this is attracting investment. Or isn''t fans money good enough?[/quote]
To be fair this is probably the best form of investment! If we have the fans that want to do it, then in my mind they''re the best type of investor. Getting something out of it too. [:)]
[/quote]I think this is a brilliant idea overall, a win win for everyone - as long as the club continues on a sustainable basis, which looks to be the case given the way the club have laid out it''s plans.  It''s only a risk if the club goes to the wall, which even if the worst happened and we dropped down a divsion wouldn''t be likely as we have no real debt so are a good risk in that sense.  The amount may seem small time to bigger clubs, but it is meaningful, it gives fans more of an involvement in the club''s development and it saves the club money in not having to take out more expensive loans from elsewhere - and investors getting a return on their money in the process.  I also love the carrot of the extra if we get promotion. Any investment has some kind of inherent risk, but on it''s own, that is no reason not to invest.

Likely to be a yes from me. A reasonable rate of return and a way to help the club.

I agree with LDC the risk is if the club goes into administration. And whatever may be said about this board I can not see that happening under their watch.

These are effectively long term loans with an interest rate of 5% a year, so 25% over the five years. From a business point of view, the club is probably paying over and above an interest rate they’d pay on a bank loan etc. So from the fans’ point of view it’s a good deal, as long as they are repaid.

Personally, I think it makes the club look a bit desperate, and again swerves the ownership/investment issue. This is not really an investment in NCFC per se - the bonds will not allow any sort of control or participation in the decisions of the club, as they’re loans.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Likely to be a yes from me. A reasonable rate of return and a way to help the club.

I agree with LDC the risk is if the club goes into administration. And whatever may be said about this board I can not see that happening under their watch.[/quote]
[Y] from me too.

You can''t use the credit against season tickets. I emailed last night and had thus response...

Unfortunately not, the Club Credit is redeemable against regular tickets, hospitality, club merchandise, kiosks and other club events, but not season tickets.

Han, I think they’d have to pay higher than 5% interest on that loan also, it would require the capital repayment too, this way it should generate a 3.5 million cash input with nothing to pay out for 5 years.

It could be that in 5 years they could fold the club if it hasn’t worked out and you lose your investment. I’ve just talked it over with the wife and we’re going to put in a decent amount, it’s on paper a good investment and we’re helping our club.

Interested.But only if those that do invest have a say in how the academy is run, with powers to veto any proposition that they feel isn''t in the best interests of the club. If the owners aren''t prepared to cede that power they need to stop begging for money from the fans like football hobos and dip their hands into their own pockets to fund it. If they''re unable (or unwilling) to do either then they should sell up to someone who is.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Interested.But only if those that do invest have a say in how the academy is run, with powers to veto any proposition that they feel isn''t in the best interests of the club. If the owners aren''t prepared to cede that power they need to stop begging for money from the fans like football hobos and dip their hands into their own pockets to fund it. If they''re unable (or unwilling) to do either then they should sell up to someone who is.

[/quote]What a load of clueless shyte !If you are unable (or unwilling) unwilling to understand this you should stop posting on this thead and let others who do continue without your ignorant guff defacing it.If the club borrowed on the open market would the lender have or demand "powers to veto any proposition that they feel isn''t in the best interests". This s the sort of stupidity you would expect a binner to bleat out.As said this is a separate fund raising method. Bondholders can invest as much as they wish, with a low thresh hold as a base. The return is decent. The interest is £50 annually, the benefits amount to £30 annually (or more) and there is a bonus that if we go up there''s a health bonus.It''s not going into some players back pocket, but on something that s tangible and will still be here long after they have gone. We have been able to fund CAT 1 with PL money. At the moment we don''t have PL money, but looking at the players coming through we cannot afford to lose what we have built up.How much is Lewis alone worth ? How much did we get for Jacob ?  There are others as well.For those that can afford it and want to get involved fine. For those who can but don''t wish to or those unable to that''s fine.However for those who see this as another chance to attack the club then my suggestion is that they can far cough !

Iwan, there''s absolutely no chance that they would give a power of veto - a bond is a loan and does not give any ownership rights. I

don''t think that they are begging - they are giving fans the

opportunity to invest. Imagine the fuss if they said they were going to

issue 5% bonds and they were going to hog them all for themselves! I

imagine that they will take up the offer if they don''t sell out to fans.
Loads of companies issue bonds. There

is risk (insolvency), so it is not an investment for everybody, but for

me it is something that I will do unless, I find out something in the

meantime that I don''t like.

[quote user="Sooty"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Interested.But only if those that do invest have a say in how the academy is run, with powers to veto any proposition that they feel isn''t in the best interests of the club. If the owners aren''t prepared to cede that power they need to stop begging for money from the fans like football hobos and dip their hands into their own pockets to fund it. If they''re unable (or unwilling) to do either then they should sell up to someone who is.

[/quote]What a load of clueless shyte !If you are unable (or unwilling) unwilling to understand this you should stop posting on this thead and let others who do continue without your ignorant guff defacing it.If the club borrowed on the open market would the lender have or demand "powers to veto any proposition that they feel isn''t in the best interests". This s the sort of stupidity you would expect a binner to bleat out.As said this is a separate fund raising method. Bondholders can invest as much as they wish, with a low thresh hold as a base. The return is decent. The interest is £50 annually, the benefits amount to £30 annually (or more) and there is a bonus that if we go up there''s a health bonus.It''s not going into some players back pocket, but on something that s tangible and will still be here long after they have gone. We have been able to fund CAT 1 with PL money. At the moment we don''t have PL money, but looking at the players coming through we cannot afford to lose what we have built up.How much is Lewis alone worth ? How much did we get for Jacob ?  There are others as well.For those that can afford it and want to get involved fine. For those who can but don''t wish to or those unable to that''s fine.However for those who see this as another chance to attack the club then my suggestion is that they can far cough ![/quote]

Related image

[quote user=" Badger"]Iwan, there''s absolutely no chance that they would give a power of veto - a bond is a loan and does not give any ownership rights. I

don''t think that they are begging - they are giving fans the

opportunity to invest. Imagine the fuss if they said they were going to

issue 5% bonds and they were going to hog them all for themselves! I

imagine that they will take up the offer if they don''t sell out to fans.
Loads of companies issue bonds. There

is risk (insolvency), so it is not an investment for everybody, but for

me it is something that I will do unless, I find out something in the

meantime that I don''t like.
[/quote]Of course I understand that Purple, as I''m sure you get tat the point I made was deliberate hyperbole.What I would say, is that if the owners had not issued a plea for investment, but rather just said they were willing to donate the money themselves there would be no need to bring up a 5% roi.After all they have loaned the club millions in the past without getting anything in return haven''t they? [;)]