Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

And we let Ruddy go

Yeah of course, it was absolutely nothing to do with finances or anything. Webber not the only clueless one, clearly.

Besides which, despite a few recent mistakes, Gunn has certainly not been the problem this season.

He was an ok goalie on a big wage. Good luck to him but I''m not too gutted he left.

Agree that he lost his confidence last season and being drop etc didn’t help under Alex Neil.

But still a player we should have been able to keep.

I always liked Ruddy but are we a worse team for having Angus Gunn in goal? No.

Angus hasn’t been dropped for the distinctly average McGovern either. That could be a manager thing but I’m more inclined to believe that Gunn is the better keeper.

How that helps for next season and beyond remains to be seen.

"He''s not overly rated by some of their fans; I fancy they''ll get a new keeper for next season."

I''ve heard differently and that he has had a more than decent season.

He was recently included in the Skybet Championship team of the Season, for what it''s worth and much to the annoyance of the binmen who assumed Bart would be a shoe-in for all of these fairly meaningless selections, that will soon come thick and fast.

Madisson is in it of course and possibly the first name on the team-sheet.

In terms of cost, I suppose it has to be weighed up as Ruddy''s wage level against the fees involved in bringing Gunn in from Man. City. Have we saved much? A second season of Gunn will probably tip this balance.

I am still a bit surprised that we failed to extent JR''s contract as I feel that we could have got a reasonable fee for him once contracted. He''s no age for a ''keeper. We never know what happens between agent and club, I suppose.

Always confused by "we let Ruddy go because he was a high earner".

Did we ever offer him a new contract on wages commensurate with our new structure. I don''t think so. If we had, and he''d turned it down, I''d understand.

Surely we should have explored this first

Whatever happened, the bottom line was Ruddy wanted to leave. Therefore it didn''t really matter if we wanted to keep him or not, but he must have been one of the higher earners here. Has Gunn been better than him? Hard to say, but it doesn''t really matter as we were never seriously going to be in contention for anything anyway

He never remotely looked like saving a penalty when at Norwich.

Anybody have the stats?

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]So he has finally saved a penalty, woo hoo!!, we will gloss over the mistake that gifted us a draw at Molineux........[/quote] I was thinking the same myself but also remember how Suarez and others made him look very silly on occasions.  Ruddy will be found out again in the Prem IMO.  

"So he has finally saved a penalty, woo hoo!!, we will gloss over the mistake that gifted us a draw at Molineux."

As far as I have read this is not a "let''s pan John Ruddy" thread.

He was a more than decent ''keeper for us for a number of seasons and always a good ambassador for the club. He reached England international status, although in a limited way. He did have a bad injury which was a set-back.

Criticism is always easy.

Whatever the reasons for his departure, he remains a loss.

Still looked dodgy on crosses into the box last night. personally i think Gunn is the better keeper at the moment.

He was a decent keeper on a very good keepers wages. It wasn''t we didn''t rate him it was we couldn''t justify paying him what he was getting. He needed a fresh start and he''s benefited from the change himself and helped us to a point a few weeks ago.

We had an option on his contract but reported to be 30-40k a week as he signed the contract while in the premier league

and you can bet it had a nice signing 5 figure fee attached as well

Wonder if Wolves will be in the market for another keeper before next season?

Did well for us but based on his form couldn''t really justify his wages for another season.

What are the odds for Remi between the sticks next season?

Matthews. I''ve seen him play in development games, but not for a long while.

We have a history of producing good keepers, Remi is no different and could well be our no1 next season.

We have let a few go who could make it to the Prem next season, apart from Bennett and Ruddy.

Pilkington, Ayala, Howson, Morison, Jerome, Johnson, Martin, Smith, Rudd all have a possibility of playing in the Prem next season.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]He was sh1te for us last season, his wages were too high and it was best for both parties that he left.[/quote]

He spent most of last season behind a shocking defence