Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

No shots on target

The season was over in March and we''ve learned nothing since, other than Farke cannot and will not change his approach.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]The season was over in March and we''ve learned nothing since, other than Farke cannot and will not change his approach.[/quote]

The same could be said for some posters on here...

Worth pointing out we had more shots overall than Preston and Preston themselves as the home team only had two shots on target.

Context always helpful.

Listening to the after match comments from Farke Hanley and Michael Bailey, it is obvious we went there with the idea of stifling the game against a team that was going to fight all out to win to get in the play offs.  Contain, be strong and not let Preston get the upper hand. Job done. 

A 0-0 draw in a turgid game in which we were trying to contain the mighty Preston. Three years ago we were going away trying to actually win football matches. Job not done.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]A 0-0 draw in a turgid game in which we were trying to contain the mighty Preston. Three years ago we were going away trying to actually win football matches. Job not done.[/quote]Preston were fighting tooth and nail to win - Michael Bailey said he thought their play and the fan''s attitude was almost "desperate" at times.  We had nothing to play for except pride and to be professional.  As Hogesar said - it''s context that is important.  

In context, we moved above the scum and we defended very well overall. Srbeny has had hardly any experience at this level, and he''s taken a huge step up. I think it will take some time for him, but as we''ve seen with players like Vrancic, it can take a while to adapt. If Oliviera isn''t in our future plans, then I think we''re best off giving Srbeny time and experience in an attempt to improve him. Besides, we are going into the last few games of the season, they don''t mean too much so I don''t mind him getting game time. It does seem like when Maddison doesn''t score we do struggle. Next season isn''t so far away.

Srbeny doesn''t look to be a goalscorer. His one goal was a cracking pass which he almost missed by placing it right at the goalkeeper. I think he''s improved but we''re not a club to be messing about with one striker up front ''waiting for him to improve''.

We''ve had 7 0-0 draws this season. Turgid is the perfect word to describe that. Boring.

[quote user="andrew norwichcity"]Srbeny doesn''t look to be a goalscorer. His one goal was a cracking pass which he almost missed by placing it right at the goalkeeper. I think he''s improved but we''re not a club to be messing about with one striker up front ''waiting for him to improve''.

We''ve had 7 0-0 draws this season. Turgid is the perfect word to describe that. Boring.[/quote]What are you looking at? Before joining us he was at Paderborn, for whom he signed in July last year. Paderborn currently top 3. Liga in Germany. In his 15 games for them he scored 9 goals and contributed 8 assists, a record that compares more than favourably with e.g. Wigan''s Will Grigg (38, 17, 3). I guess Will Grigg "doesn''t look to be a goalscorer" either? 

So our objective was to ''stifle'' the opposition? I could understand that if we were trying to protect a top 6 position or God forbid avoid relegation, but at this stage of the season it really is quite sad to revert to those tactics. Very un-Norwich.I just hope next season will be better, or at least the results pick up, to justify this approach and and we have a real crack at promotion.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]So our objective was to ''stifle'' the opposition? I could understand that if we were trying to protect a top 6 position or God forbid avoid relegation, but at this stage of the season it really is quite sad to revert to those tactics. Very un-Norwich.I just hope next season will be better, or at least the results pick up, to justify this approach and and we have a real crack at promotion.[/quote]Yes, very un-Norwich -- because Norwich since Hughton have not been in the business of learning in advance how to do what''s needed when it''s needed. How many times under Neil did we need to stifle the opposition but signally failed to do so? People on here seem to think these last half dozen games are without purpose. Quite rightly Farke and Webber clearly think otherwise.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="andrew norwichcity"]Srbeny doesn''t look to be a goalscorer. His one goal was a cracking pass which he almost missed by placing it right at the goalkeeper. I think he''s improved but we''re not a club to be messing about with one striker up front ''waiting for him to improve''.

We''ve had 7 0-0 draws this season. Turgid is the perfect word to describe that. Boring.[/quote]What are you looking at? Before joining us he was at Paderborn, for whom he signed in July last year. Paderborn currently top 3. Liga in Germany. In his 15 games for them he scored 9 goals and contributed 8 assists, a record that compares more than favourably with e.g. Wigan''s Will Grigg (38, 17, 3). I guess Will Grigg "doesn''t look to be a goalscorer" either? [/quote]

Come on, comparing league one with the German third division! Ridiculous.

League two is more competitive and has more quality than most of Europe’s second and third divisions.

@hoegsar

That isn''t context though.

The context would be that we had 12 shots but only 1 of them was deemed worthy of being in the highlights package which suggests they weren''t very threatening.

Preston, who had less shots, very clearly came closer to scoring than we managed.

[quote user="king canary"]@hoegsar

That isn''t context though.

The context would be that we had 12 shots but only 1 of them was deemed worthy of being in the highlights package which suggests they weren''t very threatening.

Preston, who had less shots, very clearly came closer to scoring than we managed.[/quote]
I agree they weren''t threatening and we looked pretty limited as an attacking threat (not for the first time).
But simply using the ''0 shots on target'' by itself to claim ''disgrace'' or whatever other hyperbole someone wishes to use today is a bit cheap. And from using that only it''s easy to claim we had no intention of trying to score. That wasn''t true, we had 12 attempts. They were just all poor!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Listening to the after match comments from Farke Hanley and Michael Bailey, it is obvious we went there with the idea of stifling the game against a team that was going to fight all out to win to get in the play offs.  Contain, be strong and not let Preston get the upper hand. Job done. 

[/quote]

In all honesty though Preston didn''t employ those sort of tactics by the sounds of it. They sat back hoping they could break on us, probably because they have seen how ineffective we are at home when teams employ those sort of tactics against us. Still I''m not one of those slating the club it obvious the attacking side needs to improve massively and I would imagine now the defence is improved that would be number 1 objective over the summer. If it hasn''t by a third of the way through next season I cant see Farke being here.

I''m just a bit concerned about this blasé acceptance of mediocrity right now.

Apparently we have to set up to stifle the mighty Preston North End and we should all be delighted with yet another 0-0 draw, who cares if we didn''t get a single shot on target all game.

The lack of ambition amongst our fan base is staggering at times.

[quote user="hogesar"]Worth pointing out we had more shots overall than Preston and Preston themselves as the home team only had two shots on target.

Context always helpful.[/quote]Also worth pointing out that the total number of shots is sub-divided into three not just two. "No shots on target" isn''t the same as "no shots heading for the net"; to count as "on target" a shot has to be goal-bound and saved by a "last man", usually the keeper but also quite often a defender "on the line". Yesterday 7 of our 12 shots were blocked, the majority if not all of which were actually "on target" in the sense of directed accurately at goal. Rather than criticise our attacking play, maybe more credit should be given to Preston''s solid defence.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m just a bit concerned about this blasé acceptance of mediocrity right now.

Apparently we have to set up to stifle the mighty Preston North End and we should all be delighted with yet another 0-0 draw, who cares if we didn''t get a single shot on target all game. [/quote]

Who is delighted?  Can''t see anyone saying that.  What is ok is that this team is developing a hard to beat culture that will stand us in good stead for the future.   It''s all very well saying it''s just Preston, but they are the team with something immediate to play for - the play offs - their motivation is greater than ours.  What we did was stay strong and not fold under the pressure in a match where the opposition were desperate to win, in extremely warm conditions.  The confidence gained from that is probably going to stand us in good stead going forward, much more than if it had been a 4-4 draw or a loss. This was not a match to turn up and just have a go - we are playing for next season and every clean sheet is something we can build on.  We need goals too, next season, but then - as we know from the last few seasons, goals on their own are not enough.

Except none of the blocked shots were worthy of a highlight. I''ve no interest in whether we had a 20 yard shot blocked 15 yards from goal.

@ldc

''The confidence gained from that is probably going to stand us in good stead going forward, much more than if it had been a 4-4 draw or a loss.''

Yet I''m sure if we had drawn 4-4 you''d be saying the opposite about how scoring all those goals would give us confidence and how it was much better for us to have drawn 4-4 than a boring 0-0.

You''re so amazingly predictable.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m just a bit concerned about this blasé acceptance of mediocrity right now.

Apparently we have to set up to stifle the mighty Preston North End and we should all be delighted with yet another 0-0 draw, who cares if we didn''t get a single shot on target all game.

The lack of ambition amongst our fan base is staggering at times.[/quote]
I''m not sure there is an acceptance of mediocrity. But there is an acceptance, at least from me, that the season was over quite a few games ago, but rightfully the players are still showing commitment and we''ve had some enjoyment - the Villa game was very good for example. Obviously we could go ''fck it, all out attack and have a laugh'' but I think we are correctly treating these games as if we still have something to play for. I would be more concerned if I was a Preston fan - still a real chance of the playoffs and they couldn''t score past midtable nothing-to-play-for Norwich.

Put it this way - we’re not playing particularly well at the moment, and several of the better players probably won’t be here next season. Recruitment will have to be good to maintain this level. Farke still hasn’t improved our attacking game and we’re 44 games into the season.

@Hoegsar

I''ve read a fair bit of ''we''ve been shit upfront all season so why moab about it now?'' which sounds very much like acceptance of mediocrity to me.