Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Leistner in, Klose out ?

With the need (I suspect) to reduce the wage bill further could this be part of the summer ''change over''. Klose has been excellent and it would be great if he stayed but a club that loses around £32m in income has to take some drastic measures. And with Ben Godfrey returning maybe he would cover as centre back.Pinto would be another player on high wages, again a big loss if he were to go. But as with Lewis and Reed we have been able to bring in (bring on) players at a relatively low cost to more than ably fill those places.Parachute payments may seem to be an advantage but they are of little use if they are merely paying the wage of those who cased them (relegation) as Sunderland have clearly shown.

......that''s what parachute payments were introduced for....to soften the blow of high wage earners in a period of reduced income whilst a club goes through a transition.

They were never intended to give a club an advantage in the transfer market.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]......that''s what parachute payments were introduced for....to soften the blow of high wage earners in a period of reduced income whilst a club goes through a transition.

They were never intended to give a club an advantage in the transfer market.[/quote]Did I say they were ?

I don’t think Klose has been excellent, far from it. A few decent games in the prem before he got injured. I think he gets bullied by any physical striker and he’s also pretty slow. If we get any decent bud with a chance to get his wages off I’d take it.

Me too.

Then we have ''he who must not be selected,'' Sean Somebody or Another to take into account, whilst the returning Franke might adapt better the second time around.

Hanley and Zimmerman make a decent first choice two, with scope for three at the back.

If we feel a.n.other is vital then hopefully they will return to their interest in Leistner, if they haven''t done so already.

Oh!

Read the title as Leitner, not Leistner, so agree.

If the former does come the Sun reporters will have fun as they have confused many of our players over the years. More latterly the Murphy twins (although there remains some doubt about this.)

As you know Hairy, City 1st is the only person on here who''s allowed to speculate on the contents of a player''s contract.

Toni Leistner

This was a player that Farke has shown an interest in before (January I believe.)

From wiki,

Leistner''s pedigree is not fantastic as he has spent most of his time in the lower German leagues.

Yet, at 6'' 3" and 27 years of age he currently plies his trade for Union Berlin in Bundesliga 2. He has played 90 times for them now and is a regular, he occasionally scores (3/90).

As I say, nothing fantastic, but seems to fit the bill somewhat and another Zimmermann could be on the cards.

If we want to be able to play 3 at the back with regularity we need to have 5 players capable of playing center back in the squad next season.

We''ve currently got Zimmerman, Hanley, Klose and Raggatt, along with Franke and Martin out on loan. I''d imagine Martin may move on but without selling anyone else I don''t think we need to sign more central defenders.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]As you know Hairy, City 1st is the only person on here who''s allowed to speculate on the contents of a player''s contract.[/quote]Oh dearone of the ''making it up to replay'' chaps having his squeakI have NEVER stated that anyone cannot post, I have merely challenged their claim to know exact figureseven a persist whiner like you should be able to grasp that ''high'' is not an exact figure, or even a figureotherwise.... if it sounds like him, writes like himguess what

I''d take that, Klose is a good defender but he hasn''t shown that he is consistently another level to the championship, however he is a player with good experience at a higher level. For a player who is on high wages, I can''t really say that he''s great value for money. I think Leistner in and Klose out would be good business. Not sure what''s going to happen to Franke though, perhaps get rid. Having lived in Lincoln for a few years I can say that Raggett is a quality player and I''m surprised he hasn''t been given a proper opportunity for us. I was really happy when we got him having watched him at Sincil bank on quite a few occasions. Farke is clearly a manager who values attitude as much as ability, so I can only assume he''s struggling to bridge the gap from league 2 to the championship or his attitude has been a little off. I wouldn''t have expected that though as he''s always seemed like he has a good head on his shoulders.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]I''d take that, Klose is a good defender but he hasn''t shown that he is consistently another level to the championship, however he is a player with good experience at a higher level. For a player who is on high wages, I can''t really say that he''s great value for money. I think Leistner in and Klose out would be good business. Not sure what''s going to happen to Franke though, perhaps get rid. Having lived in Lincoln for a few years I can say that Raggett is a quality player and I''m surprised he hasn''t been given a proper opportunity for us. I was really happy when we got him having watched him at Sincil bank on quite a few occasions. Farke is clearly a manager who values attitude as much as ability, so I can only assume he''s struggling to bridge the gap from league 2 to the championship or his attitude has been a little off. I wouldn''t have expected that though as he''s always seemed like he has a good head on his shoulders.[/quote]I would say that is pretty much spot on - though I would have thought the ''scouts'' would have checked out Raggett''s attitude before signing.It maybe that the club wants Klose in the ''shop window'' so to speak so has been playing more. I think the ''rigours'' of the Championship also hit the German players quite hard (literally) so whether Franke will return is questionableHowever the impetus will be on reducing the wage bill to an affordable level so it will be those thought to be on a PL wage (minus Ch. reduction) who will moved on.Players who can slot in immediately cost. Players like Raggett who need to be brought up to speed don''t - hence we will see signings that are ''for the future'' far more than we did before. That will take time so fans need to be patient.

I really can''t see that we have been putting Klose in the shop window. Sure he''s been rested a couple of times but from what I''ve seen he has been played because he''s one of the two best center halves we have available.

None of us know how big a reduction in the wage bill will be required (not even you!) because we have a potential big money sale in Madison on the horizon. The details of that deal will have a huge impact on future dealings, both in and outgoing.

As for those on PL wages who you say will be moved on, I''m afraid that is rather too simplistic. Shifting Martin, Naismith and Jarvis'' wages from the balance sheet (I assume it''s Ok for me to conclude they are on the sort of wage you allude to?) is going to be near on impossible.

Klose is clearly a very good player at this level- the question becomes is he good enough to justify the presumably large wages he''s on. We''re very focused on trying to do more with less money wise so I presume there is a feeling we could get someone at his level for less wages.

Would accept that KC. I just don''t feel we have been playing him to "put him in the shop window". He has deserved his place in the team in my opinion.

Please don''t tell me that our number one priority is a defender.

Klose can go if he wants. If we have to save money, he does not need replacing with another foreign player either. Especially if we keep Franke.

I hope they have been working their socks off looking in the lower divisions for a striker or two.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Please don''t tell me that our number one priority is a defender.

Klose can go if he wants. If we have to save money, he does not need replacing with another foreign player either. Especially if we keep Franke.

I hope they have been working their socks off looking in the lower divisions for a striker or two.[/quote]No one has said thatThe OP was in response to a Pinkun story about Leistner possibly joining us

No one has said that

The OP was in response to a Pinkun story about Leistner possibly joining us

So he isn''t a defender then?

Dont see shipping out Big Timm as the major priority in the close season, even if he is on big wages. Can only see Basel as a potential move for him, otherwise i see many good reasons to keep him here for another season. Unlike Naismith, who signed for City at the same time as Timm, he has played regular for us, has been the lynchpin between the old Martin / Bassong / Bennett era and the current guys of Hanley, Zimm etc, and above all Timm loves the club and loves the area to.To be Franke, Wild Shoot, Neighs Miff, Russell and Tettey are issues that need sorting before any thoughts should turn to getting rid of our big Timm. Wes is one thats already sorted, hoping to hear at least some news on these other guys.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Dont see shipping out Big Timm as the major priority in the close season, even if he is on big wages. Can only see Basel as a potential move for him, otherwise i see many good reasons to keep him here for another season. Unlike Naismith, who signed for City at the same time as Timm, he has played regular for us, has been the lynchpin between the old Martin / Bassong / Bennett era and the current guys of Hanley, Zimm etc, and above all Timm loves the club and loves the area to.To be Franke, Wild Shoot, Neighs Miff, Russell and Tettey are issues that need sorting before any thoughts should turn to getting rid of our big Timm. Wes is one thats already sorted, hoping to hear at least some news on these other guys.[/quote]I don''t think anyone is saying that "shipping out Big Timm as the major priority"Merely that it was a story in the Pinkun that speculated about Leistner possibly joining us, and as Klose is likely to be one of those still on PL wages it could be that he moves on if Leistner joins us.That''s all

I thought you suggested that we were playing him to "put him in the shop window"?

If that were remotely true (which it plainly isn''t to anyone who is capable of fairly assessing his performances) then that would suggest the club had been making his transfer a major priority