Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

I see Martin is endearing himself to Rangers fans...

Martin was Centre back in the Championship Team of the Year three years ago in a promotion winning team. That would indicate his ability as a centre back.  He may have lost form or confidence since then, or he may simply be the proverbial scapegoat.   Rangers fans would well know the barracking he got at Norwich - and there is nothing easier to target than an easy target.  I have watched endless goals scored against us when Martin was playing where he often was nothing to do with the goal, yet he invariably got the blame for it.  Other defenders out of position or midfielders failing to cover or just good play by the opposition.  Yes, he made the occasional mistake - which player doesn''t, but overall he hasn''t deserved the rubbish that follows him around, either here or in Scotland.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Martin was Centre back in the Championship Team of the Year three years ago in a promotion winning team. That would indicate his ability as a centre back.  He may have lost form or confidence since then, or he may simply be the proverbial scapegoat.   Rangers fans would well know the barracking he got at Norwich - and there is nothing easier to target than an easy target.  I have watched endless goals scored against us when Martin was playing where he often was nothing to do with the goal, yet he invariably got the blame for it.  Other defenders out of position or midfielders failing to cover or just good play by the opposition.  Yes, he made the occasional mistake - which player doesn''t, but overall he hasn''t deserved the rubbish that follows him around, either here or in Scotland.

[/quote]

Lost form or confidence.... you’ve deliberately forgotten abillity, which is more than likely given he’s at the end of his career.

Interesting point Lakey, where do you stand on the issue of Norwich fans who gave Robert Snodgrass undeserved rubbish while he was here? 😉😉😉

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Yet another thread with the intention of ridiculing and criticising a very good Norwich servant, and he’s not even played for the club for months! Some people need to get over this pathological hatred of Russell Martin and get on with their lives.[/quote]

I’d like to point out that I do not hate Martin, very much the opposite. He’s been a legend and I’d love to see him stay at the club in some role similarly to players such as Hucks and Drury. I consider Martin Norwich through and through.

But I recognise he’s at the end of his career now and his abillity is slipping to point where he isn’t effective at standards such as the SPL or championship. Somthing many still can’t grasp!

Jim Smith wrote, 16/04/2018:

Great Guy but as I have always maintained he is not and has never been a centre back and I think other defenders find it hard to play alongside him because positionally his instincts are those of a right back and he get dragged out of position and consistently caught under the ball/wrong side of his man.

Bennett was always a far better defender but on a couple of occasions got dropped so Martin could come into the team even when Bennett had not done a lot wrong.

Couldn''t agree more with all that JS says, and I was therefore completely mystified by the decision taken in July, to give RM an extension to his contract, meaning we are committed to paying another passenger for a further season.

Also, I wonder what others see, that leads them to believe that he is coaching/management material. I realise that in his capacity of captain in recent years, he has always been prolific in his verbal output but much of this has been spent on self-promotion and distancing himself from havoc that he has created.

Most supporters realise that he is incapable of organising things from within the touchlines, what is it that suggests he could do so from the sidelines? I believe that, as with his playing credentials, his adoring fans see qualities in him that simply do not exist. Experience of the Gunn/Adams model should tell us not to go there again.

danielsroundabout,

I guess those charged with the responsibility of assessing candidates sitting the UEFA Pro A License see qualities in him that exist, cos they granted him a license, which qualifies him to be a head coach at Championship level, and as far as I know the Pro License on the cards soon.

Furthermore, ask any player who has played alongside him and they rate him highly as a leader and tactician and these are all people who play and coach professional football, so maybe this as what suggests he could do so from the sidelines??

As far as I can see there is very little correlation between what someone does on the pitch and their ability as a manager.

I''m prepared to get slammed for this but maybe a long term plan is to build him in to the management structure.

Maybe we extended his contract with a view to retaining him within the coaching team.

If we are adopting a long term project approach why not having him working alongside Farke and learning what is to be the ''Norwich way'' and getting him coaching and mentoring the younger players. He is obviously well respected within the club and by the players and has shown his commitment to the club (if only by not rising to some of the unnecessary abuse he has got)

Who knows maybe longer term stepping in to the coaches role?!?!

Russ has said he wants to manage and he would love to manage here. He did also say that he would have to go away first.

I think King C has it right. There are so many examples of mediocre players making top managers and world class players making carp managers. Jackie and Bobby Charlton for example.

Things change so quickly in football I''d very much doubt that we''ve built any role for him in.

I don''t really care very much if a manager has some connection to the club or not though. The last three managers we''ve hired who have some form of Norwich link have all been a bit crap.

[quote user="Readingbetweenthewhines"]Talking about future ex player come mangers... [/quote]Is that the male equivalent of a minger? [:D]

I dont know. Scottish football seems so average I think any team coached well will do well especially if they can hand pick 3 or 4 Liverpool under 23s with qualitu which I suspect might be the case.

Martin doesn''t seem to be helping too much unfortunately if today''s half time score is anything to judge him on..

[quote user="king canary"]Stuck his name into twitter again, not pretty reading.

He''s just not very good anymore.[/quote]He was a very good right back but trying to turn him into a centre back was a big mistake

Gerrard set to be announced as Manager of Rangers with Skrtel as his first signing...Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Gerrard set to be announced as Manager of Rangers with Skrtel as his first signing...Apples[/quote]
Skrtel isn''t what he was at Liverpool but he''s still a beast - would dominate in the SPL - I still vaguely follow Fenerbahce from when I lived in Turkey - Picked up a few injuries that have kept him out for extended periods this year but aside from that he''s been pretty colossal.