Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

I see Martin is endearing himself to Rangers fans...

Norfolk Cafu''s been a great servant for our club, but his best days are long behind him now, the fact he''s getting exposed even at SFL level now.. sad to see but doesnt really surprise me.

That was said by me and many long before he left on loan, however there were also many on here wanting him to be in our line up over people like Zimmerman.

What’s more of a concern is that he has 2 more years so now he’s messed up that move we get back plus his wages 🤬

According to Mr Apples and Ian, and a few others, Martin was clearly going to be a hit for Rangers in the SPL. Absolutely adamant they were.

I think it was quite obvious Martin would struggle with the expectation of a club like rangers. He’d have been better off dropping a league or two and staying in England.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]According to Mr Apples and Ian, and a few others, Martin was clearly going to be a hit for Rangers in the SPL. Absolutely adamant they were.

I think it was quite obvious Martin would struggle with the expectation of a club like rangers. He’d have been better off dropping a league or two and staying in England.[/quote]

“Absolutely adamant”? I’m sure you wouldn’t mind linking to their posts where they say this then.

I think I said he could do a solid and decent job for them, compared him to other ex-championship players (Berra, Lafferty, Mulumbu) who are all playing well at SPL standard and went on to say he would be fine with the pressure and being at a team like Rangers. Is that being adamant he was going to be a hit?He made a mistake for Celtic''s second goal yesterday but if Rangers fans think their problems are all due to Russell Martin they must be as myopic as some of our fans. Their team is poor and they are playing poorly.It''s good that Lincoln raises these issues, he must keep a list to remember all these previous comments...that and to remember who he is, and who he supports, on any particular day.Apples 

I don''t think anyone reckons all their problems are down to Martin.

It is just that he isn''t very good anymore, a fact some of our fans found amazingly difficult to except.

It’s funny how teams defences all seem to struggle when he is in them though isn’t it? Nothing against Martin personally but he has been passed his best for a while and the decision to give him a new contract is another to add to the list of expensive c**k ups.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I think I said he could do a solid and decent job for them, compared him to other ex-championship players (Berra, Lafferty, Mulumbu) who are all playing well at SPL standard and went on to say he would be fine with the pressure and being at a team like Rangers. Is that being adamant he was going to be a hit?He made a mistake for Celtic''s second goal yesterday but if Rangers fans think their problems are all due to Russell Martin they must be as myopic as some of our fans. Their team is poor and they are playing poorly.It''s good that Lincoln raises these issues, he must keep a list to remember all these previous comments...that and to remember who he is, and who he supports, on any particular day.Apples 

[/quote]

Well back heeled Apples.

You criticised my view that Martin would struggle. He is struggling, therefore you were wrong.

I haven''t been following his games up in Scotland, as although he''s been a great servant for our club among many glorious years, he has sadly reached the end of his time with us. However, I did watch this game and thought he played OK for the most part.

Based on this one game, and bearing in mind Celtic are a class apart from the rest of the Scottish teams;

- Celtic have scored 2 or more goals in 80% of their home games this season

- 2 of Celtics goals were scored after Rangers were down to 10 men, both were penalties.

- Martin was not at direct fault for the first, third or fourth goals and IMO did his job in all three instances.

He did, however, make a mistake for the second. Off balance he decided to use his right foot to clear the ball instead of either taking a touch and clearing it or using his left.

Feel sorry that he is being scrapegoated up there as well. I imagine this is blown out of proportion due to it being the derby though.

To be fair to Martin, since signing for Rangers they have conceded 10 goals in the 10 games he has played in (12 in the previous 10 before he signed for them). For the Scottish league, that isn''t bad going...

"You criticised my view that Martin would struggle. He is struggling, therefore you were wrong."He made a mistake and did struggle in that match in a poor defence, in a team totally outclassed by a far superior Celtic. Seems like a fair time to define his entire time in Scotland as a "struggle"?Apples

I think he also gave away two penalties in one game- he''s hardly popular up there.

Funny that Bennett (who some on here swore was awful) is celebrating a promotion to the Premier League, while Martin is getting pelters for not being good enough in the SPL.

Great Guy but as I have always maintained he is not and has never been a centre back and I think other defenders find it hard to play alongside him because positionally his instincts are those of a right back and he get dragged out of position and consistently caught under the ball/wrong side of his man.

Bennett was always a far better defender but on a couple of occasions got dropped so Martin could come into the team even when Bennett had not done a lot wrong.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]"You criticised my view that Martin would struggle. He is struggling, therefore you were wrong."He made a mistake and did struggle in that match in a poor defence, in a team totally outclassed by a far superior Celtic. Seems like a fair time to define his entire time in Scotland as a "struggle"?Apples[/quote]

And in the same breath, Celtic are an SPL rival to Rangers. Therfore performances against them shouldn’t be disregarded when considering Martins abillity to perform for Rangers in the SPL.

I said Rangers fans would ultimately be unimpressed with Martin, which they do appear to be. Regardless of the parameters they are using to judge him.

Apples, you suggested Martin would be a success, and the SPL would be a easy transition for him. You we’re wide of the mark on this occasion, and wrong to arrogantly shoot me down for predicting otherwise.

They''ve only conceded something like 10 goals in his 10 appearances so I would presume he hasn''t struggled in general. I don''t know though because i''ve not watched any of the games. I presume Lincoln has watched every one (well Rangers do play in blue and white)..

Quite sure that the very same fans would have praised him when he made a good start there and I also think he''s weighed in with a couple of goals for them.From what I can work out, it''s simply an overreaction by football fans... Tsk, tsk. That kind of thing would never happen in Norwich! [:P]

A cursory glance at a few Rangers fans opinions suggest it is not just an overreaction to this recent game.

A few quotes from before that...

''Russell Martin is shocking''

''Seen enough of Martin to confirm he is nowhere near good enough''

(to a departing player) ''Can you take Russell Martin with you? Just so there is no chance we sign him.''

''Russell Martin is brutal.''

AJ,

My thoughts are similar to yours, insomuch I too watched this game, along with other Rangers'' games, I wonder if the OP did, and it was obvious from the start that Celtic were going to dominate, they overran Rangers in midfield leaving the Rangers defence under consistent attack. Surprisingly Murty went with McCrorie at CB (I though he was more of a defensive midfielder) and he was left wanting, eventually getting himself sent off. As is often the case when the midfield let the oppo run riot it''s the defence wot gets the blame. That said, the Rangers'' defence were caught out on a number of occasions and ''could have done better'' and yes RM''s clearance was not the best he has ever made, however no mention has been made of the clearances he made and the covering job he did for the rest of the defence but there''s nothing new in that.

RM was recently called back into the Scotland squad but had to pull out due to injury, so I guess he must be doing something right.

Will he play CB here again, I doubt that, but depending on what happens in the summer may well be considered a back up RB (we are already paying his salary so could be considered a free). He can of course cover elsewhere if needed in an absolute emergency at the same time he could begin his move into management, which could be why his contract was extended?

He''s not coming back to be a back up right back.

Firstly, he''s too slow to play that position effectively these days.

Secondly we can''t afford to pay our back ups the kind of wages he is probably on.

King Canary,

We''re probably paying his wages anyway.

norfolkngood,

He is buying another property in Norwich I believe, which indicates he intends staying in the area for a while.

[quote user="Ray"]AJ,

My thoughts are similar to yours, insomuch I too watched this game, along with other Rangers'' games, I wonder if the OP did, and it was obvious from the start that Celtic were going to dominate, they overran Rangers in midfield leaving the Rangers defence under consistent attack. Surprisingly Murty went with McCrorie at CB (I though he was more of a defensive midfielder) and he was left wanting, eventually getting himself sent off. As is often the case when the midfield let the oppo run riot it''s the defence wot gets the blame. That said, the Rangers'' defence were caught out on a number of occasions and ''could have done better'' and yes RM''s clearance was not the best he has ever made, however no mention has been made of the clearances he made and the covering job he did for the rest of the defence but there''s nothing new in that.

RM was recently called back into the Scotland squad but had to pull out due to injury, so I guess he must be doing something right.

Will he play CB here again, I doubt that, but depending on what happens in the summer may well be considered a back up RB (we are already paying his salary so could be considered a free). He can of course cover elsewhere if needed in an absolute emergency at the same time he could begin his move into management, which could be why his contract was extended?[/quote]I live in Inverness now, admittedly a fair distance from Glasgow, but a lot of the press coverage up here follows the Scottish Premier League. I also work alongside colleagues that have an opinion. Just like anywhere else in the world, Inverness folk don''t necessarily follow Inverness or Ross County, they follow the so called big boys. Martin is not respected and they fans can''t wait to ship him back to us where he remains on a ridiculously lucrative deal.

I don''t think he''s good enough, but I still don''t get your hatred for him. What did he do to you?

Yet another thread with the intention of ridiculing and criticising a very good Norwich servant, and he’s not even played for the club for months! Some people need to get over this pathological hatred of Russell Martin and get on with their lives.

Canary Utd 11,

I''m not quite sure of the point you are making, other than a bunch of guys who watch football, or maybe do not, have an opinion on a player.

As has been mentioned many times before, yet another Scottish manager selected for the squad recently but maybe your colleagues, et al, know better.

Besides being a funny ol'' game it is a game of opinions I guess.