Sign in to follow this  
king canary

O/T Beers

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Now we''re talking. If my wallet and waistline (and my head) could tolerate it, I''d drink beer all day, every day. But given a realistic approach, it''s all the more important to ensure that the beer drunk is high quality.

Top of my list is Oakham Ales at the moment. If you like a hoppy beer, their lineup is excellent. Scarlet Macaw and Bishops Farewell are both delicious, but the best of all is Citra. I believe they were one of the first to use the Citra hop in the UK, and although it''s much more common now, their Citra ale is superb - hoppy, citrus and grapefruit hints. A summer ale really, but too good to restrict yourself.

My other recent passion is porter. I''d convinced myself I don''t really like dark beers, but I tried a few at recent beer festivals and have been won over - I''m not crazy on anything that tastes too strongly of chocolate, which is common, but that leaves plenty more. I even enjoyed a barley wine, which I associated prevoiously with p*ssheads. You don''t see a lot of porter for sale bottled, but the Guinness West Indian porter isn''t bad, although 6 per cent.[/quote]"Does your dad own a brewery?""No, but I know someone that works at Oakham"[:D]Citra is nice, but because of its distinct flavour it''s a bit of a shock to the taste buds for those used to normal ales. It''s worth giving a try for something that bit different. Oakham brew for M&S so you should be able to get Citra etc from there if you can''t find it in a pub.

cant be doing with these overly hopped yankee craft ales. a decent porter, imperial stout or a dark mild for me. old black shuck in november if its still made.

in mexico bit difficult ti get decent ales but had a tasty lithuanian cherry beer the other week.

if you can find it though... .gulden draak. the best beer ever made. or a liefmans kriek. or anything from belgium / trappists.

cant remember the name of it due to how good it was but the fat cat used to get in a stout from simewhere central in eire. breakfast in a glass.

When I go to the Beer Festival in St Andrews, I drink Porter, and do not waver too much from that colour. As has been intimated already, I am not one for the people who eulogize about the dozens and dozens of different beers about, I just go for the craic!

A bit left field, but in the Summer, I do like the odd Stella Cidre

One of the reasons for still living in Sheffield is the ales. There is a campaign to get it called Beer City.

For me it started with The Frog & Parrot and The Fat Cat pubs back in the 80''s . Roger & Owt was the world''s strongest ale back in the day but undrinkable. But thankfully there were plenty of other ales to sample - Castle Eden & Theakston''s OP and Best were my favourites.

Nowadays the City is awash with breweries, microbreweries and craft ale producers. Faves are Bradwell Breweries and Kelham Island''s (especially their Best and Easy Rider). Indeed in most pubs there is just too much choice and I usually choose one I regret - but I have to try everything!

I too hate Cider. It stems from working summers in Gaymer''s in Attleborough. Boy the stuff that went on there - especially Friday afternoon wash down days! Oh and a couple of bad nights drinking scrumpy at Banham Cider House still gives me njghtmares.

Finally no-ones mentioned Woodfordes yet - it is still brewed isn''t it?

Bateman''s Gold is my normal matchday tipple, Black Sheep Baa Baa is lush. Quite partial to Adhams Dry Hopped Lager too.

Shef''s taking me back to some great nights out in Sheffield - agreed on the Kelham Island beers, very nice.

Woodforde''s is still going strong - in fact, don''t they serve Wherry at the ground? Not the strongest or flavourful of ales, but ok if you''re stuck in a bar and don''t want lager or cider. Norfolk Nog is a nice drop when you can get it.

What about a pinkun poster''s night at the Beer Festival - beers, live music and football chat, what could possibly go wrong?

Lakey - “ all these beers are brilliant ! “

Lincoln - “ they’re all rubbish, the beer festival in Reading is far better “

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Lakey - “ all these beers are brilliant ! “

Lincoln - “ they’re all rubbish, the beer festival in Reading is far better “[/quote]
[:D]

Like Tilly I''m a Peroni man. Simple and easy although a touch expensive in places. I''ve never been into all that craft beer stuff.

Wadies 6X was always my favourite at Uni, doesn’t taste as good any more😉

The Adnams Mosaic is a good drink 👍

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]It''s amazing how many are like myself, and don''t drink Cider !   [/quote]I agree that there''s more than we might think. Cider drinkers seem to be younger than beer drinkers which might have been influenced by that brilliant Magners advertising campaign a while back.Like you I can''t face drinking cider after one or two horrific experiences drinking it as a teenager [:D]

FenwayFrank - Lakey - “ all these beers are brilliant ! “

Lincoln - “ they’re all rubbish, the beer festival in Reading is far better “

Very funny. Mind you, having been brought up thinking Watneys was what beer was all about, it was quite a revelation to discover real ale after leaving Norfolk and only able to drink cider, Watneys having put me off beer altogether. Youngs Special. Fullers London Pride and ESB. Brakespears. Wadsworths. Shepherd''s Neame. Bass to name a few. Then back to Norfolk and discovering Adnams and Greene King. Watneys have a lot to answer for......

Til - “ I used to like this beer but I’ve gone off it, I blame the brewers nephew. Can you all stop talking about that Suffolk ale too because I don’t like it “

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Til - “ I used to like this beer but I’ve gone off it, I blame the brewers nephew. Can you all stop talking about that Suffolk ale too because I don’t like it “[/quote]
[:D][:D]

Can''t believe you''ve not done Highland.

Also I think LDC would be more along the lines of ''while this beer is not great at the moment I firmly believe that if you were all more positive about the beer it could win awards.''

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 21/03/2018 11:07 AM:

I’m now off to work which means Til has got all day to come up with a response 😀

Poor old Frank reminds me of a low alcohol beer.

MMM many great beers out there from traditional to modern, favourite standby is Adnams Ghost ship on cask/draft, Oakham Citra (try Green Devil if you can find it, it''s even better) Lacons are good and local (the brewer formulated a lot of Oakhams modern recipes when he was there and at Fyne ales from Scotland too if you can find them). Don''t like many of Woodfordes beers as they seem to have gone downhill since the sell out to big nosiness, Green Jack in Lowestoft produce some interesting beers, Baltic trader is very good. Redwells used to be good but are now poor though may improve with the buy out.

Modern ''craft'' breweries are many but Beavertown, Magic Rock, Vocation and Cloudwater (and Brewdog) are always worth trying, some are a bit different.

Sorry to ramble on but it''s a favourite topic!

Oh yeah and To''Ol from Norway are good too, as are many Belgian beers, too numerous to mention on here.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Til - “ I used to like this beer but I’ve gone off it, I blame the brewers nephew. Can you all stop talking about that Suffolk ale too because I don’t like it “[/quote]By the use of quotation marks i assume this is something i have said but it is not ringing any bells with me so to assist the point whatever it may be could you explain further ?

Til, it’s not something you’ve actually said, Lakey and Lincoln didn’t actually have their conversation either. It’s just a bit of fun that’s all.