Sign in to follow this  
king canary

O/T Beers

Ok, the season is a tad dull not a great deal left to play for so lets widen out the discussion....

What are you drinking at the moment, beer wise? Any recommendations?

I''ve found myself falling into the ''hipster craft beer'' scene and went on a little brewery tour through Bermondsy recently. Would highly recommend Fourpure.

I''m a Southwold boy so always have soft spot for Adnams.

Quite like some of the newer ones they''ve done- Mosaic Pale and Ease Up IPA are both very nice.

Over the winter I tend to stick to Ale, been drinking a lot of St Peters Brewery''s offerings this season, they do a few nice beers.

As we move into summer I tend to start drinking a bit of cider too. I tried Jack Daniels Cider the other day, was a bit odd but enjoyable.

Ah. I don''t really like Beer.
I know this doesn''t particularly add to the discussion.

Guinness is the only one for me. If no black stuff then I''ll have a coffee.

Tried much of the rest but they don''t measure up for me I''m afraid.

I hate to admit it but the Suffolk boys are brewing some good beers. Adnams and Greene King. Krombacher is also a good drop.

Gone off really strong beers - can''t take the hangovers any more, so choice is limited.  Adnams Southwold Bitter always a favourite, or a good pint of well kept Bass or Abbott Ale, not easy to find up here, but appreciated more as a result.  More in to red wine these days - a good negoramaro is my favourite......

There is a small part of me that dies every time I see Wherry or Green King IPA in an East Anglian pub- such boring offerings.

“I''m a Lager man, though I do like things like Sam Adams (Boston USA) type beers”

Sam Adams is good, they have it on draft at Coast to Coast but it’s a bit expensive

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Ah. I don''t really like Beer.
[/quote]

That explains a lot then.

Sharps Atlantic for me. A cracking cask IPA I’d really reccomend trying.

Out the bottle, brewdog make some fine ales.[/quote]
Feel free to elaborate. No one''s stopping you!

Now we''re talking. If my wallet and waistline (and my head) could tolerate it, I''d drink beer all day, every day. But given a realistic approach, it''s all the more important to ensure that the beer drunk is high quality.

Top of my list is Oakham Ales at the moment. If you like a hoppy beer, their lineup is excellent. Scarlet Macaw and Bishops Farewell are both delicious, but the best of all is Citra. I believe they were one of the first to use the Citra hop in the UK, and although it''s much more common now, their Citra ale is superb - hoppy, citrus and grapefruit hints. A summer ale really, but too good to restrict yourself.

My other recent passion is porter. I''d convinced myself I don''t really like dark beers, but I tried a few at recent beer festivals and have been won over - I''m not crazy on anything that tastes too strongly of chocolate, which is common, but that leaves plenty more. I even enjoyed a barley wine, which I associated prevoiously with p*ssheads. You don''t see a lot of porter for sale bottled, but the Guinness West Indian porter isn''t bad, although 6 per cent.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Ah. I don''t really like Beer.
[/quote]

That explains a lot then.

Sharps Atlantic for me. A cracking cask IPA I’d really reccomend trying.

Out the bottle, brewdog make some fine ales.[/quote]
Feel free to elaborate. No one''s stopping you!
[/quote]
Ah, also, I presume it was the beers that caused this thread, including some really disgusting posts from yourself (remember, you were golden coppell AND lincoln back then...)

Larger mainly but I often have a draught Guinness. The one thing I avoid is Cider it''s a bit psychological, as the first time I got totally drunk was on Cider for some reason it was a never again moment.  

@Swindon

Same for me. Got drunk on Scrumpy Jack in some dodgy pub outside of Dereham when I was about 16. Vommed everywhere, now can''t stand the stuff.

Ooh there really are some cracking beer out there! The company I work for does a lot of different things in the drinks industry, our main focus being spirits (Whisky being one of the core bases from which the business was built). But please feel free to check out www.worldbeerawards.com where you''ll see a plethora of different categories and styles of beer, some of which you can''t even get in the UK yet. Booo!Some of my personal favourites (they haven''t entered our awards, mind) are:Beavertown- Exceptional range of beer but Gamma Ray (an American Pale Ale) and Neck Oil (IPA) the most common to find (both lovely too). Brewery Tap have a Beavertown takeover on from March 22nd-25th.Captain Lawrence- Effortless Grapefruit. This is a citrus (grapefruit, unsurprisingly) heavy IPA and, my god, it is wonderful.Amundsen- Hopbliminal Messages. A fantastic beer from a Norwegian brewery. This stuff is just one of the juiciest, most tropical tasting beers out there. Highly recommended! Honourable mentions to dudes like Yeastie Boys, White Frontier and Cloudwater too...Although the latter tend to be blooming expensive!

I''m the same with cider too. I drank a pint down in one at a Freshers'' Fair, it came straight back up, and that was the last time I drank it.

Joking apart.....Guinness for me.....

Anyway, most lagers are fart fuel fluids drank by pretentious Thomas the Tankers "Yah absolootelly! "That ropey real ale is for folk stickin'' one finger in their ear whilst singin'' sea shanties "I wuz tha cap''n of the Nightingale!" all gathered in a group wearing cords an'' chunky aran sweaters....and real ale''s also for those stick whackin'' morris dancin'' "Hey nonny nonnies".......and not forgetting those dull bearded "Stamp me card!" Comical Camra clones......

Pah!.....