Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

safe standing

I suspect ''only £400k'' is not within the club''s current budget.

I doubt this will get looked at in the foreseeable future at NCFC, unless the club sees a rapid rise in its financial fortunes.

[quote user="Woodman"]I suspect ''only £400k'' is not within the club''s current budget.

I doubt this will get looked at in the foreseeable future at NCFC, unless the club sees a rapid rise in its financial fortunes.[/quote]

Why do you think it''s coming out of the current budget?Nothing will be done until the law changes and that''s not any time soon.

[quote user="Woodman"]I suspect ''only £400k'' is not within the club''s current budget.

I doubt this will get looked at in the foreseeable future at NCFC, unless the club sees a rapid rise in its financial fortunes.[/quote]Woodman, it is not even possible within the current budget! I think that it would require a change in the law and then EFL approval- there''s no chance of this being ready for the 2018-19 season, so you would be talking about 2019-20 at the earliest.If the club wanted to do it, they could afford it - it''s about half of one player''s wages for the year and well under 1% of turnover.

Why get worked up about something that isn''t going to happen within any foreseeable timeframe.

But Kingo made a very good point. How much cheaper would safe standing tickets need to be? I personally think they should at least be the same price if not more expensive.

Because they''re no longer the standard. I''ll have you know young lad that back in my day terracing was the standard. So if you wanted a seat it was more money. Now in your day a plastic seat is standard so if you want a rail seat or a padded seat it''s an added extra so should be more money...

It isn''t the case that ''the standard'' is the cheapest though.

In any event I''ve been to that sells seated and standing tickets the standing tickets are cheaper- I''d imagine it would be similar at football although I could be wrong.

I can''t see how it''s cheaper to rip the seats out, adapt the surroundings and then fit different seats? I think they should extend the south stand roof so that I don''t get wet when it rains. Then reduce the price of my ticket...

Well if it increases capacity then it should increase revenue.

I''m not claiming to have any answers here but my general experience is in any other event standing tickets are cheaper than seated, generally because people are willing to pay more for the greater comfort of a seat.

[quote user=" Badger"]If the club wanted to do it, they could afford it - it''s about half of one player''s wages for the year and well under 1% of turnover.[/quote]Without parachute payments our turnover will fall to somewhere between £25-£30m Badger so £400k would be a large chunk of that and certainly more than 1%. Added to that, another season of mid-table mediocrity will likely see gates fall and our income diminish further. So, for the club to announce we are spending a large sum on rail seating when the fans know we need a striker/winger or whatever just isn''t going to happen.I can''t see it happening until/if we get back to the Prem even if the rules are changed to allow it.

Well if it is seen as a long term benefit to the club and likely to increase revenue then I''m sure one of our directors could finance it with a loan.

That''s the trouble with you youngsters today. You all want something for nothing.😮

Standing used to be good back in the day. But that was before Maccy Dees when we were as fit as butchers dogs. Nowadays im not sure you lot have the requured stamina....

[quote user="king canary"]Well if it increases capacity then it should increase revenue.

I''m not claiming to have any answers here but my general experience is in any other event standing tickets are cheaper than seated, generally because people are willing to pay more for the greater comfort of a seat.[/quote]But they already have seats and in this case they are asking the club to make an expenditure that can only reduce revenue. Its illogical and that''s why it isn''t going to happen.

I believe Borussia Dortmund have safe standing. They are not allowed to use it in Europe so they have seats in the safe standing areas.

I believe the safe standing increases the capacity quite a bit but I am not sure how it balances out financially if safe standing ticketing is cheaper.

Personally I think it is a backward step but can see that it appeals to a decent percentage-well that is at the moment. I wonder if all the mid forties will be as keen to stand in their mid fifties especially as their is an alternative.

Safe standing will not be a return to the "good old days" of course and many younger supporters won''t even know what standing was like.

Atmospheric it was at times but with the way the game has changed and, more importantly, how attitudes and laws have changed, very few of the old chants are acceptable anymore.

I would say, stick to what you have now. The romance of standing applied then but now it should be confined to history.

[quote user="king canary"]How can it ''only reduce revenues?''[/quote]

If you reduce the price you would have to increase the capacity by the same percentage to simply stand still. No club is going to finance a scheme that can''t pay for itself over any sensible time frame just to keep a minority happy. My understanding is that in Germany the seats are still there but can be latched back to allow for standing so there is no significant increase in capacity.We are never going back to terraced standing as in the old days and I doubt that there is any financially viable solution that would induce either a change in the law or a change of mind from the football authorities.

At least some of the installed rail seating has the same capacity as fixed seats - because for some games they get converted back to seats... so it probably would not increase the capacity. But then again the point of this is some people prefer to stand, and that''s an option they should have. IMO.

Mind you I might be wrong about the stamina of over 50''s.

I have just seen a headline that says "Queen to start London Marathon". She''s 92! I did my last one at 63 and thought I was the bees knees.

@Ricardo

That isn''t quite correct.

The rail seating does have a seat latched back for games when the stadium needs to be all seater (as the rules are in European games) but still lead to an increase in capacity for the games they can be used for standing. Hannover for instance have an area that can almost double in capacity when standing is allowed so it very much depends on the design of the stadium.

Your point about revenues also leaves out the extra spend that increased capacity can bring.

For arguments sake lets say there is an area that has a seated capacity of 1000 with each fan paying on average £30 per game but can hold 1100 when standing. To keep ticket revenues the same you''d have to charge £27.30 per ticket (some discount but not much). However you then also have another potential 100 people buying pints, 100 more pies sold, 100 more people who might pop into the club shop on a match day or swing by Yellows for a pre/post match meal.

Add in the potential for increased atmosphere and it becomes very appealing in my opinion.

It''s increased attendance not capacity that brings in increased revenue. Remember we are not selling out our current capacity at present.

You''re asking the club to spend thousands of pounds to install safe standing and then sell the tickets at a lower price in the hope that we might increase attendance to compensate for the loss.

Its pandering to a minority of people witb no guarantee that they will want to stand if the money is spent to enable standing. And those who say they want it assume that it should be provided free of charge to allow them to then decide if they really want it. These people should have to at least make a financial commitment to use the scheme until the changes are paid for. Maybe a monkey up front deductible from future season tickets....

@Hairy

No I''m not. As has been mentioned a few times on this thread it is all hypothetical as the law would not allow it currently. In principal I like it and the finances could work but if it becomes legal and we''re not selling out then of course it isn''t worthwhile.

I didn''t know much about safe standing really (especially the rail seating option), so I searched and found this, which is informative to a luddite like me:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/what-does-safe-standing-look-like/

The image gallery uses images from Celtic Park I believe, who I assume implement it in League games but not in the Champions League ones.

It sounds like you either have standing or seating, not both and some poor person has to go and bolt or unbolt all 5,000 seats when they change from one to the other!

"And those who say they want it assume that it should be provided free of charge to allow them to then decide if they really want it."

Well...yeah. That is how businesses work isn''t it?

By that logic the club shouldn''t pay for any upgrades to anything.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 23/03/2018 3:23 PM:

Its pandering to a minority of people witb no guarantee that they will want to stand if the money is spent to enable standing. And those who say they want it assume that it should be provided free of charge to allow them to then decide if they really want it. These people should have to at least make a financial commitment to use the scheme until the changes are paid for. Maybe a monkey up front deductible from future season tickets....

Oh dear

What can the matter be....

The matter could be that folk always want what they can''t have. If you then spend money to provide it there''s no gaurantee that they really wanted it or will use it.

As an alternative trial, why not install lateral raised pipe rails in the lower Barclay, then supporters (if they do so wish) can then watch the game hanging upside down like a colony of fruit bats?.....

Especially those follically challenged supporters, as isn''t it supposed to stimulate hair growth with that blood rush to the head?.....