Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

safe standing

If it increases the capacity and that capacity is used then it has to be a good thing. It will give more people the opprrtunity to watch, to buy pies and pints and should hopefully give a better atmosphere.

Sounds like winner winner chicken dinner ;)

I think your becoming a grumpy old man Nutty.

You may be right but when you look at the away support and the numbers that want to stand I think you would easily sell out maybe 50% of the lower Barclay as safe standing. Surely the point is it helps deal with a health and safety issue that has been threatening our licence.

Only if people take up that opportunity Bagster.
"I know what I said about wanting to stand but....
"I really like the river end"
"I prefer to watch football from the side"
"You get a much better view from the upper tier"
"My old pins aren''t what they used to be and we can''t even sit down at half-time"
"I didn''t realised being short would be such a disadvantage. I''d definitely want it if i could stand on a box..."

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user=" Badger"]If the club wanted to do it, they could afford it - it''s about half of one player''s wages for the year and well under 1% of turnover.[/quote]Without parachute payments our turnover will fall to somewhere between £25-£30m Badger so £400k would be a large chunk of that and certainly more than 1%. Added to that, another season of mid-table mediocrity will likely see gates fall and our income diminish further. So, for the club to announce we are spending a large sum on rail seating when the fans know we need a striker/winger or whatever just isn''t going to happen.I can''t see it happening until/if we get back to the Prem even if the rules are changed to allow it.[/quote]Stripped of the parachute payments, our turnover will be nearer £30 million than £25 million. the club is quite explicit that it will generate revenue from player trading during 2018-19 (at least), which will take turnover well above the 25-30 million that you suggest. On the previous page, I estimate using the figures from TCCanary''s link that 3,000 safe standing places would cost £240,000. This would constitute over 10% of our ground capacity and I suspect that it will be the upper limit of any experimentation that may be allowed or adopted by the club. This would place it well under 1% of turnover.I agree that it is unlikely to happen, but if we wanted to, we could afford it. £240,000 isn''t going to pay for a new striker or winger, I''m afraid!

I don’t recall anyone dying from standing.

There were 1792 road deaths reported in 2016. I don’t recall someone like Lord Justice Taylor insisting we ban motor transport.

The whole thing was a farce.

Every fan should have the opportunity to stand.

Just like you have a dance floor at the disco for those that want to dance and seats around the edge for those that don’t. When a bit of trouble occurs on the dance floor they don’t insist on everyone only being able to sit. Despite the popularity of oopsupside your head.

I don’t understand how anyone who wants to sit can complain or have any objection. It’s not like people who want to sit won’t be able to.

Gutto, your making a very good argument for never taking away terracing and making grounds all seater. But we are where we are.

I blame Chase and Fatcha.

Im fairly sure the club would be happy to pay for the transition to safe standing were it to become an option.

If anything they''d look a little silly since theyve shown active support for it and Webber has gone on record on wanting to try anything that may improve the atmosphere at Carrow Road.

Hoggy, there''s a lot of people backing safe standing who won''t be giving up their seats should it happen. Will they look a little silly were it to become an option?

[quote user="king canary"]Well if it is seen as a long term benefit to the club and likely to increase revenue then I''m sure one of our directors could finance it with a loan.[/quote]Just a pity then that the directors could not finance a loan for Colney.

Of all the Directors/Board members of NCFC.......Who exactly, apart from that is, the majority shareholders and Mister Foulger (who now apparently have been reimbursed their loans) have also chipped in/contributed with a few quid to assist the finances of NCFC?......

I think we should be going the other way. Plastic seating should be converted to comfy armchairs and sofas with nice cushions.

Plastic seating should be converted to comfy armchairs and sofas with nice cushions.

DFS have a sale on. Not sure which one it is.

"Must Go"

"Last Days"

"Once in a Lifetime"

"Easter Special"

Deck chairs are the obvious answer, can be erected or put down depending on individual preference, also can be reclined for a snooze during the periods of aimless backward passing.

Deck chairs are the obvious answer, can be erected or put down depending on individual preference, also can be reclined for a snooze during the periods of aimless backward passing.

As we are the Canaries, surely some nice perches. Ones that will swing when we score. Yellows can sell Cuttle Fish and replace the whackers with bells.

“Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Allow Premier League and Championship football clubs to introduce safe standing”.

Email received this morning, looks like we have hit the 100k. Well done everyone.

Does anybody know how many grounds are all seating.

In terms of the 92 clubs it isn''t going to be half is it?

If only fans stood at games, something you never see nowadays.If that was the case then millions would not have to be spent putting up individual barriers.Maybe we should also campaign for mandatory breath testing before you enter the ground, as I believe that attempting to gain entry whilst ''intoxicated'' is actually a criminal offence.Or may let sleeping dogs lie, and continue with the current common sense approach.

It doesnt help that the prem league have also said that they need more convincing.

I do think the option to have fixed rail seating should exist although I am not convinced that, for us anyway, it may be different at other clubs, it will either increase capacity or lower the admission price (why would we chose to have a drop in income?)

I am also dubious around the claims for improved atmosphere - where we are likely to install them is already mainly standing anyway.

Fingers crossed it takes the debate forward but it is hardly the most pressing item in the football world, let alone any wider context

or it actually puts up a position where any legal loss would possibly see a need for greater enforcementwhat isn''t broke, doesn''t need mending

You are totally missing the point Bigears!

The fact is standing behind a seat is more dangerous than standing behind a barrier that is designed for exactly that!

The current legislation is broke because all seated stadiums don''t work because of the above reason which isn''t going to go away because many fans prefer to stand at games!

kingsway wrote the following post at 02/05/2018 10:02 PM:

You are totally missing the point Bigears!

The fact is standing behind a seat is more dangerous than standing behind a barrier that is designed for exactly that!

👍Perhaps he hasnt noticed the problems at CR this season.

I don''t really have a strong view either way about safe standing. I wonder if some of the people championing it would still want to stand on the terrace after a season of it. It''s romantic once or twice when it''s something people don''t usually do. Some people may find it uncomfortable to stand for a couple of hours every game without even a sit down at half-time. We did it week in week out back in 60s and 70s but I was happy if I could get a seat on the bus going home.[:)] I do wonder about those who think they will get cheaper tickets because they choose to stand. I can''t see where it will increase capacity so how would the cheaper tickets work?

How many fans stand in the Barclay lower then go and stand in the bar at half time? - lots I suggest!

Cheaper tickets probably won''t happen and really it shouldn''t increase capacity because theoretically increasing the capacity of a spectator area increases the danger aspect. I think a seated area converted to a rail standing area should have the same capacity either way cause then safety will not be compromised.

[quote user="kingsway"]You are totally missing the point Bigears!

The current legislation is broke because all seated stadiums don''t work because of the above reason which isn''t going to go away because many fans prefer to stand at games![/quote]No, you are merely adding something that I have NOT talked about, then knocking THAT down.If it was a question of safety that would have been raised earlier in the thread, it hasn''t so stop misrepresenting my words.My thoughts on this are that it is already happening, and has been for sometime, at clubs up and down the country.So why no action ? Why have ground safety certificates not been revoked or not issued ?Could it be that the ''authorities'' have chosen to turn a blind eye as the evidence is that this has not posed a greater safety risk as was first claimed ?All this nonsense would do is put those same authorities in a position where they were then obliged to act.At things stand it is illegal'' to consume alcohol while watching the game, however many have the odd ''nip'' carried in with them. This is known as is often seen by the spotter cameras, yet no action is taken as it is considered not worth bothering with.What would be achieved by a group of halfwits launching some action to win the right to consume alcohol whilst watching the game ?Fans can stand and do in large numbers - so leave it be.There are more pressing needs for that money.

“So why no action ? Why have ground safety certificates not been revoked or not issued ?

Could it be that the ''authorities'' have chosen to turn a blind eye as the evidence is that this has not posed a greater safety risk as was first claimed ?”

Yep they certainly turned a blind eye at FCR.

That''s why no one stands in the lower Barclay or the away area ?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Does anybody know how many grounds are all seating.

In terms of the 92 clubs it isn''t going to be half is it?[/quote]Above a half as it is a requirement of the top two leagues  - albeit there is dispensation for clubs like Burton.But you can counter that with the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Blackpool, Coventry and others.Still I would suggest that most clubs will welcome those huge extra costs to achieve what is already happening.