Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

safe standing

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/safe-standing-at-carrow-road-backed-by-mps-1-5446199

all for it myself

I am opposed to any return to standing areas.

It would be a betrayal of all those people who lost their lives at Hillsborough, Ibrox, Heysel, etc.

It is a primitive and outdated way of watching any sport.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

It would be a betrayal of all those people who lost their lives at Hillsborough, Ibrox, Heysel, etc.[/quote]

Rubbish. Did you not see the word "safe" in safe-standing, or did you just ignore it on purpose?

ricardo wrote the following post at 22/03/2018 7:12 PM:

You have to wear a life jacket.

esp in the front row

Green life jacket and yellow crash helmet.

There will be risk assessment before kick off and no cheering allowed if we score.

There will be risk assessment before kick off and no cheering allowed if we score.

Something the crowd isn''t used to.

I believe they refused to introduce safe standing at an Irish game so they had a sit down protest.

We could not afford to update Colney without asking the fans for £3.5 million so where will be money come from to pay for this ?

I can''t imagine that it would cost anything like as much - hardly a comparable project?

Although I read once that it would not increase capacity, I can''t see it.

Therefore it might be self-financing.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]We could not afford to update Colney without asking the fans for £3.5 million so where will be money come from to pay for this ?[/quote]

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/safe-standing-qa-91188In most cases it leads to an increase in possible attendance, a business case for safe seating would be different from a business case for a training academy.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]We could not afford to update Colney without asking the fans for £3.5 million so where will be money come from to pay for this ?[/quote]

It pays for itself in 10 years because of the reduced maintenance cost. No need to replace damaged or worn out seats.

It increases the capacity by about 30% so if we did lower teraces at both ends we would be close to a 30,000 capacity.

Interesting that nobody has said how much this would cost Norwich City and where the money would come from within the budget to carry out the work in the first place.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Interesting that nobody has said how much this would cost Norwich City and where the money would come from within the budget to carry out the work in the first place.[/quote]

I gave you an answer - the most likely one imo - promotion to the PL.   The money would then easily be avalable from within the budget.  Of course the law would have to change first to allow standing areas in the first place....

"Of course the law would have to change first to allow standing areas in the first place...."

That wouldn''t be difficult if the PL and FL were behind it.

Although wheels grind slowly in this country

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Interesting that nobody has said how much this would cost Norwich City and where the money would come from within the budget to carry out the work in the first place.[/quote]

I gave you an answer - the most likely one imo - promotion to the PL.   The money would then easily be avalable from within the budget.  Of course the law would have to change first to allow standing areas in the first place....

[/quote]Promotion is the only way this could possibly happen in our current financial position which isn''t going to change anytime soon. This is like Twenty is Plenty all over again. That turned out to be thirty quid and relegation put paid to that as far as Norwich City was concerned.

"I gave you an answer - the most likely one imo - promotion to the PL. The money would then easily be avalable from within the budget."

How can we possibly plan anything for the future based upon promotion to the PL, which seems further away by the season?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Interesting that nobody has said how much this would cost Norwich City and where the money would come from within the budget to carry out the work in the first place.[/quote]The report on the work Celtic did said it costs about £80 to convert one seat from conventional to railed seating, assuming that this would only take place in the lower Barclay then that''s not a lot of money.I think that you are getting worked up over the money coming from the current budget but it''s not even a possibility until the law changes and that would not be this season or the one after it. 

I am not getting worked up over the money coming from the current budget at all but merely asking questions that nobody obviously has a definitive answer for.In this thread i have seen it will increase capacity which in turn means more revenue but surely ticket prices for standing will be less and our attendances may well decline if we remain in this division.I have also seen a comment that it will pay for itself in 10 years ! In our current financial position that is too far down the line to justify the initial expense.The obstacle of a change in the law seems also to some to be a minor factor.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Interesting that nobody has said how much this would cost Norwich City and where the money would come from within the budget to carry out the work in the first place.[/quote]The reason is that the amount is very low and not really an issue. According to the link provided by TCCanary, it would cost about £80 per seat. So for say 3000 seats (what''s the capacity of the lower Barclay?) it would be about £240,000. This would be less than 1% of turnover in any given year. It would probably be depreciated over several years - it''s peanuts. Financing it really isn''t an issue at all.

OK, we get it, you can only see obstacles in the CURRENT climate.I don''t know how many are seated in the lower Barclay but it can''t be more that 5000 so at £80 a seat that''s only £400k.