Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Everton want Maddison

I suspect that he is on a lower wage than some of our other "attractive assets" so think an early sale is very unlikely except to an exceptional offer. There are certainly others that would be sold first. Unless of course, there are contractual clauses ...We don''t need a "fire sale" but enough to cover the deficit on player wages next year + money for new investments. If we sell or release those on the higher wages, it has a "double benefit" - reduced wages + transfer revenues.

@LDC

Ok, interesting take. Not sure I''d rank Everton in that category simply because they''ve been in the top flight such a long time and have numerous top 8 finishes but hey.

I think most players would still choose to play at one of those lesser Premier League clubs than a mid-table Championship one though.

[quote user="king canary"]@LDC

Ok, interesting take. Not sure I''d rank Everton in that category simply because they''ve been in the top flight such a long time and have numerous top 8 finishes but hey.

I think most players would still choose to play at one of those lesser Premier League clubs than a mid-table Championship one though.[/quote]That remains to be seen.  If we put together another good run - and why shouldn''t we - we would be back up amongst the top six. Then the difference becomes less stark between the top of the championship and the bottom half of the PL, where let''s face it any of them could go down. Footballing wise, many players in PL squads would be better off playing every week somewhere. I wonder if Jacob is happy at Newcastle, hardly getting any minutes on the pitch - was that a good footballing move for him?  I don''t think so.  At the end of the day for many players, money is what pulls them into the premier league, but that does not always help them as footballers. 

I think the one thing that people often underestimate is the level of unshakable confidence it takes to become a professional footballer. So while we might look and say ''he might struggle to get into the team at a premier league team'' Maddison will be hugely confident in his own ability to break through- similar with Jacob and Newcastle.

I''d go if I was him.

Unless Norwich made significant strides into the top 6 by January I''d go to any Prem club.

It''s a bit of a traffic jam in the No.10 role at Everton. Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney and Davy Klaassen are all currently fighting for that one spot. Maddison should wait for a better deal than the Everton subs bench.

He doesn''t really play the so called No 10 role though does he.

He looks for the ball all over the pitch and tries to initiate moves rather than just be a part of them.

I would say he is a gifted midfield player. I also believe he would benefit from a two striker 4-4-2 formation where he would have more room.

However, I do agree that with Rooney in any team, you would be playing second fiddle.

I dunno why he would, Rooney is fairly gash these days.

I agree. But you must not have a go at an icon. They are ring fenced by Parliament.

As it goes Everton have had problems with a lack of pace in midfield and nobody upfront to score goals.

Should be an easy transition.

If a good bid comes in he will go. Thats how its going to work going forward (although to be fair its not that different to 99% of other clubs around the world)

We all look at it from a NCFC fans perspective and not from that of a young talented 20 year old professional footballer''s.

What we are talking about here is becoming a millionaire in the next few years, guaranteed, with the opportunity of becoming an established Premier League player within touching distance. All this in a sport where he could do his knee next week with the chance being snatched away.

Be honest if it was your son playing for a different mid table championship team it would be a no brainer.

Be honest if it was your son playing for a different mid table championship team it would be a no brainer

Absolutely. But it still hurts when you lose a good un, someone good enough to build a team around.

A couple of opinions:-

First off, why are we always assuming it''s the nasty old club trying to offload him? Why is the suspicion never that the agent or the player is looking to cash in on their current good form and therefore increased stock?

Even if we get promoted, IF an "Everton" or "Liverpool" are tracking him what makes you think we''d keep him anyway? Even if we say we don''t want\need to sell we all know a player whose head has been turned can force any move they want!

Finally, we are a selling club... every club is a selling club! If someone comes in with a good enough offer for a player they''re almost always going! Be it us with a "Howson" or "Murphy" or a Barcelona with a "Neymar"!

When he goes, and he will, it will be to a club above Everton I''m sure.

[quote user="AJ"]When he goes, and he will, it will be to a club above Everton I''m sure.[/quote]That''s narrowed it down to 14 clubs.

He''s quite a way off being able to get in the Spurs side.

Worth remembering that Pritchard couldn''t and they''re even better now. Tom Carroll and Ryan Mason had to move on too.

If Everton actually came in with an offer i''d expect Maddison to kick up and fuss till we accepted something. Everton would be a bigger club than i''d expect him to get at this stage.

People need to be realistic. If we''re still 13th come January we won''t be able to fight off offers from Bournemouth and Brighton let alone Everton.

If Wes was two years younger and Pritchard hadn''t had two long spells out for us I wouldn''t be so uneasy at losing him. He''s a brilliant player but with Pritchard hopefully coming back fit and firing soon this is a hit our squad can probably afford to take, might upset the dressing room though

He''s gonna fetch a huge price and while that won''t be spent on any kind of replacement it should help us maintain a budget that under the right circumstances could challenge for the top 6 again next year.

We''re not going up this year, I''m normally positive but it just isn''t going to happen, these types of sales are going to be the norm. Best get used to it and hope Webber can negotiate large fee''s with a decent sell on.

15 million though and i''d just think fair enough, good luck lad, gave his all every game he''s played for us so far.

This isn''t nice but it happens in football. Better to get attached to the team and philosophy as opposed to individual players because if they really shine they''ll be offski.

For the lad himself i hope he makes sure when he moves he goes to a club he has a realistic chance of playing. So many young english players have suffocated the life out of their careers by making moves to clubs like Arsenal where their development actually is hindered by lack of first team football at the parent club. I get the point about money but if he''s truly confident in his ability the big money will come.

With Prichard’s injury we should at least retain his services until June. But with 25m to come out of the budget all of our better players will be on their way. You couldn’t make it up.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Bids of £20 million + should do it.[/quote]Yep. Maddison needs to be priced on his future potential. Anything <£20m would be derisory.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]With Prichard’s injury we should at least retain his services until June. But with 25m to come out of the budget all of our better players will be on their way. You couldn’t make it up.[/quote]BINGO! [:D]