Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Yesterday Had Nothing To Do With The New Way Forward.

Sitting in the pub before the game yesterday and hearing the line up everybody was agreed that it was a good line up ( and subs bench ) to play a team who last year were a division below us and currently sitting rock bottom of the Championship. Our fitness compared to last year is vastly improved and discipline has been instilled. A point looked well on the cards and a trip home with 3 points seemed within our grasp.However once the game settled down the same old problems surfaced in that whilst comfortable in possession passing it around sideways and backwards we totally lacked any ability to move it forward causing problems for Bolton.Man for man on paper we were a street ahead of them but Bolton had something we lacked......passion and a desire to win. Once a goal down i just wondered how we were going to get back into it with far too many players not on their game at all. Leadership was nowhere to be seen and once the second goal went in before half time it was job done for Bolton and into the second half our pedestrian sideways shuffling continued with no sense of purpose and although Farke made three substitutions with plenty of time left they were like for like with no change of plan.A torrid afternoon for the travelling support with shades of Millwall surfacing i am sorry to say. Of course we all want this new broom sweeping throughout our playing side of the club to work but it is a very painful watch both at home and away and my concern is patience amongst the support as ricardo will tell you once you lose the crowd there is no way back. We have no money and by the look of it no intent to seek investment which means surely years in the wilderness in the hope it comes right in the end.A lot to ponder not only for us fans but the board as well. No conference calls for Ed if he is in the jungle for a month thousands of miles away if this form continues and it will be left for Webber to carry the can.Rant over and over to you Nutty for your response. [:P][;)]

It will take at least another three Windows to remove the remaining deadwood, bring in low cost additions and let them settle in.

We are unlikely to threaten the top six during this period and even were we to get relegated we would be a large fish in a smaller pond.

With no investment likely fans should adopt a more phlegmatic approach to their support. Any entertainment during games should be regarded as a bonus.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]It will take at least another three Windows to remove the remaining deadwood, bring in low cost additions and let them settle in.

We are unlikely to threaten the top six during this period and even were we to get relegated we would be a large fish in a smaller pond.

With no investment likely fans should adopt a more phlegmatic approach to their support. Any entertainment during games should be regarded as a bonus.[/quote]

This.

Did the Huddersfield fans call for Wagner''s head when they finished 19th in his first year?

All credit to the board for being business like, and making the necessary changes now, while we have the second year of parachute payments, and for not waiting until next summer.

Having been a yo-yo club we supporters expect promotion on a regular basis. We may continue to yo-yo, but what we are enduring at the moment is the early stages of a work in progress, and I believe we cannot judge how successful the new way is until April 2019, after 3 more windows.

Yes, we are up against clubs which are spending large sums, much of which will eventually manifest itself as debt. I do not believe that this is sustainable, and when Premiership football loses it''s worldwide popularity the clubs which will survive will be those with sound finances.

Too many people have been spoilt by a decade or more of eventful action. How they react when they find out that it isn''t the norm will be telling.

Why do people keep saying we have no money? We are about £3 million in debt, but compared to other teams in this division with £30+ million debts who still spend money, we are very healthy. Plus ticket sales and player sales means that we would surely be in better financial position than teams such as Ipswich who need loans and frees.

No reason at all to think we couldn''t become a reasonably successful and financially secure mid table Championship club. How long do you think crowds will remain at the 25k level when this becomes the accepted reality?

It''s not like we haven''t been here before and those of us with a longer term allegiance will know what to expect.

worsethandeath wrote the following post at 05/11/2017 1:05 PM:

Why do people keep saying we have no money? We are about £3 million in debt, but compared to other teams in this division with £30+ million debts who still spend money, we are very healthy. Plus ticket sales and player sales means that we would surely be in better financial position than teams such as Ipswich who need loans and frees.

Unlike the scum we don''t have owners willing to write off the losses each season and roll it into the on-going debt.

As for the implication of your post that spending to turn a small debt into a large one is OK I can only assume you subscribe to the Corbyn School of economics.

It''s good you believe we only lost £2.7m following relegation. If it were nt for parachute payment it would be nearer £40m, but we did get parachute this year also. So the year after next when no parachute expect posted losses of £20-30m maybe less if we can get rid of big earners. So within 5 years with little sign of bothering promotion we will be looking at losses in the region of £50m. Expect Delia to sell up then and make millions for her shrewd investment a dozen years ago.

When business are looking at financial storms they seek investment. We are no different. We just have owners who refuse to cede control of their train set so will stubbornly refuse to seek outside money. And so, barring a miracle on the pitch, we will continue to lose out to those many club owners with far deeper pockets than Delia with her cookbook collection...

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]When business are looking at financial storms they seek investment. We are no different. We just have owners who refuse to cede control of their train set so will stubbornly refuse to seek outside money. And so, barring a miracle on the pitch, we will continue to lose out to those many club owners with far deeper pockets than Delia with her cookbook collection...[/quote]If success returns it will all go quiet again but with the loss of parachute payments, this scenario seems unlikely. We have had a fairly decent run of eventful years but that is something else that can''t continue forever.The vision of a run of very lean years looks like becoming the new reality.

Good post TIL. I thought yesterday Bolton had players who could run with the ball, and drive forward. We have a lightweight midfield, but even with crisp passing we have little forward movement.

I can’t decide if we have the wrong philosophy for this Division, or inadequate players for the philosophy. If it clicked in the final third, we could be something special.

Yesterday was summed up by the Bolton chant “How s*** must you be, we’re winning at home!”

Embarrassing.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Sitting in the pub before the game yesterday and hearing the line up everybody was agreed that it was a good line up ( and subs bench ) to play a team who last year were a division below us and currently sitting rock bottom of the Championship. Our fitness compared to last year is vastly improved and discipline has been instilled. A point looked well on the cards and a trip home with 3 points seemed within our grasp.However once the game settled down the same old problems surfaced in that whilst comfortable in possession passing it around sideways and backwards we totally lacked any ability to move it forward causing problems for Bolton.Man for man on paper we were a street ahead of them but Bolton had something we lacked......passion and a desire to win. Once a goal down i just wondered how we were going to get back into it with far too many players not on their game at all. Leadership was nowhere to be seen and once the second goal went in before half time it was job done for Bolton and into the second half our pedestrian sideways shuffling continued with no sense of purpose and although Farke made three substitutions with plenty of time left they were like for like with no change of plan.A torrid afternoon for the travelling support with shades of Millwall surfacing i am sorry to say. Of course we all want this new broom sweeping throughout our playing side of the club to work but it is a very painful watch both at home and away and my concern is patience amongst the support as ricardo will tell you once you lose the crowd there is no way back. We have no money and by the look of it no intent to seek investment which means surely years in the wilderness in the hope it comes right in the end.A lot to ponder not only for us fans but the board as well. No conference calls for Ed if he is in the jungle for a month thousands of miles away if this form continues and it will be left for Webber to carry the can.Rant over and over to you Nutty for your response. [:P][;)][/quote]
My only response is on Kingo''s thread Tilly [:)]

@Canary Wundaboy

That is how it seems. Football at this level have changed dramatically even in the last 5 years with more and more money finding it''s way down here causing fees and wages to inflate. We have gone very swiftly from being a team that can gazzump a promotion rival for a key target to one who can be outbid by most of the division.

The backwards and sideways passing was because there was hardly ever a forward pass on. Too many times players were standing till, marked, so the defence passed it amongst themselves instead.

There seemed to be two lines usually, an attacking line and a defensive one. No movement in between those lines. Even Hoolahan, who is usually buzzing around looking for space, stood in a line with the other players. Nobody came deep to get the ball or pull a defender out of position. Nobody played on the shoulder of the last man and tried to get in behind (except perhaps Murphy in the last fifteen mins or so).

Was the idea of two flat lines a tactic? Was it because the players were trying to stay "drilled" and not get caught out of position? Or was it because none of them wanted the ball enough? One point stands out in my mind where Hoolahan, Maddison, Jerome and one other (who I can''t remember) stood within five yards of each other, all standing still, whilst Wildschut was looking for a pass. Not one of them tried anything to try and create a bit of space or lose their man.

Tired, lazy, scared to want the ball? I don''t know which but you won''t score goals like that.

Of course it was to do with the new way forward

Possession based dull football without the quality of players to carry it off

Huddersfield DONT play that way they play at pace the comparisons just aren’t there other than Webber.

I''ll accept mid table Chump or worse, I''ve seen it before. What I don''t want is the dull boring shyte served up so far.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]We just have owners who refuse to cede control of their train set....[/quote]I thought it was a dolls house they wouldn''t sell. [:S]

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]It will take at least another three Windows to remove the remaining deadwood, bring in low cost additions and let them settle in.

With no investment likely fans should adopt a more phlegmatic approach to their support. Any entertainment during games should be regarded as a bonus.[/quote]

Other than maybe Jerome which deadwood has played a part in the recent games? The majority of the squad is new faces already!

All things remaining equal, an investor putting £m''s into the club in recent seasons would have seen the majority of their money disappear.As others have said, we just need to wait for the deadwood signings to depart. Meanwhile it''s about avoiding relegation and building a new side.

[quote user="Len"]All things remaining equal, an investor putting £m''s into the club in recent seasons would have seen the majority of their money disappear.As others have said, we just need to wait for the deadwood signings to depart. Meanwhile it''s about avoiding relegation and building a new side.[/quote]"Oh! The Deadwood signings are a-rollin'' on down the drains "

Been going since 1972... Had a season ticket for 15 odd years... Last season for me. The owners do not invest so I won''t.

Will be easier to get the occasional ticket as the gates drop. Will reconsider when amateur hour is over...

TIL wrote: " ...it is a very painful watch both at home and away ... "
Capt Pants wrote: " ... the dull boring shyte served up so far."
I''ve watched virtually every match we''ve played this season, and I haven''t found a second of it painful or anything I''d recognise as "boring shyte". In fact I''d say it has made for far more interesting watching than at any time in the previous three years. It''s just silly to think a stage on the journey is the final destination. 

[quote user="Len"]All things remaining equal, an investor putting £m''s into the club in recent seasons would have seen the majority of their money disappear.As others have said, we just need to wait for the deadwood signings to depart. Meanwhile it''s about avoiding relegation and building a new side.[/quote]

I ask again which deadwood has played recently? Klose? Pinto? Tettey? Wildschut? Murphy? Hoolahan? All the rest are new players so this bull about deadwood is exactly that, bull!

[quote user="Mike "]Been going since 1972... Had a season ticket for 15 odd years... Last season for me. The owners do not invest so I won''t.

Will be easier to get the occasional ticket as the gates drop. Will reconsider when amateur hour is over...[/quote]Do what an mate of mine does. He''s had a season ticket for many years but only goes when we''re in the PL, mainly just to watch the opposition.The rest of the time he rents his ticket out to a couple of his friends who are happy to watch a more mediocre opposition.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Mike "]Been going since 1972... Had a season ticket for 15 odd years... Last season for me. The owners do not invest so I won''t.

Will be easier to get the occasional ticket as the gates drop. Will reconsider when amateur hour is over...[/quote]Do what an mate of mine does. He''s had a season ticket for many years but only goes when we''re in the PL, mainly just to watch the opposition.The rest of the time he rents his ticket out to a couple of his friends who are happy to watch a more mediocre opposition.

[/quote]

Only care about NCFC... But being as our owners do not care ..... Fancy giving control of a fan funded club to a failed photographer... Not for me. Will look for all results and attend the odd game but it''s not worth the massive effort and money anymore. Crowd is crap, no investment in the team, badly run, expensive compared to other championship clubs and if you voice concerns you are shouted down by the occult that is Delia ( see Mick Dennis, Dainty etc). It''s the equivalent of going to the cinema these days

There''s nothing more little old Norwich than only going to see the opposition. I guess your mate just has to thank his lucky stars that we have owners who have delivered those PL seasons.

Tinpot post of the year MP.