Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Thoughts/Comments?

As it''s the International break, some things crossed my mind;

Why have the likes of Andy Cole, and Phil Neville, at their time of life, want now, to be known by their full, first names? Andrew , and Philip?

Why (and when) were midweek kick offs, changed from 7.30 to 7.45?

Why did a BBC reporter say "Not bad, for a days work", when referring to Mark Selby earning £150K, for winning a Snooker tournament? They never mention footballer''s earnings.

I don''t know if anyone cares enough to respond, but anyway..........

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

"Why (and when) were midweek kick offs, changed from 7.30 to 7.45?"Not sure about this one but why are some matches at 5 past the hour?

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]As it''s the International break, some things crossed my mind;

Why have the likes of Andy Cole, and Phil Neville, at their time of life, want now, to be known by their full, first names? Andrew , and Philip?

Why (and when) were midweek kick offs, changed from 7.30 to 7.45?

Why did a BBC reporter say "Not bad, for a days work", when referring to Mark Selby earning £150K, for winning a Snooker tournament? They never mention footballer''s earnings.

I don''t know if anyone cares enough to respond, but anyway..........[/quote]
1. Delusions of grandeur -- whoever''s heard of Prince Andy or Prince Phil?
2. It''s just another Euro compromise; the work-exhausted north Europeans wanted 7:30 kick-offs so they could get to bed earlier afterwards but it would have cut short those extended Mediterranean siestas.
3. What else is there to talk about when the subject is snooker?

Well Andrew Cole started to ask to be called Andrew Cole whilst still playing for Man U. For me he never quiet sounded like the same player. Maybe someone out there can find stats to prove Andy was more successful than Andrew. But I guess it is o.k. if people choose what name they prefer.

My question is why so few games on a Thursday?

Non-sporting question. Are Melton Mowbrays supposed to have a hard or soft crust?

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Did you check the ''Use by'' date , Herman?[/quote]Haha, it was fresh, but Morrison''s.

They were from a terrible doo-wop song from the 60s. They popped into my head so I must have heard it somewhere recently.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Why (and when) were midweek kick offs, changed from 7.30 to 7.45?[/quote]And why were they changed to Tuesdays when they used to be Wednesdays? [:^)]

[quote user="yellowandgreen"]Well Andrew Cole started to ask to be called Andrew Cole whilst still playing for Man U. For me he never quiet sounded like the same player. Maybe someone out there can find stats to prove Andy was more successful than Andrew. But I guess it is o.k. if people choose what name they prefer.

My question is why so few games on a Thursday?[/quote]
We used to have loads of them back in the day....

I have got the book Nutty called ''The Forgotten Men'' which is a history of the Norwich and District Thursday League. I was secretary of Norwich Police FC during the eighties and just into the ninties and also assistant secretary of the league.That photo on the link has some great characters Neville Garnham,John Oliver,Kenny Crowe,Geoffrey Neville,Ted Mileham,Terry Comer,Lenny Bacon and of course Ivan '' Chang'' ''Handlebars'' Kidgell.Also Harry Wright who ran the side sitting beside Chief Constable Plume.

Why is there currently a mixed herd of Frisian and Hereford cattle grazing on the pitches at Colney while the players not on international duty are running around holding five stringed musical instruments?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Image may contain: 2 people, people smilingAnybody on this one you recognise Nutty ? [;)] By the ways it ended Cops 4 robbers 1.[/quote]

Yes we looked at that picture at last week''s SOTB[:)]
We also talked about who was the shortest of the police back four. I think it may have been in that book somewhere. Not sure he''d have been the shortest if his moustache had been on his head....
Much later the police teams played at our social club and I remember hosting a game where they played Wayland Prison. I got told off as I was about to give one of the Wayland players a glass of water. Apparently they weren''t supposed to come inside the clubhouse. In his defence he only popped his head round the door and in my defence he was a LOT bigger than me....

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Image may contain: 2 people, people smilingAnybody on this one you recognise Nutty ? [;)] By the ways it ended Cops 4 robbers 1.[/quote]They clearly got that one wrong. The one on the right was the tosser.........[:D]

Association football would be a summer sport if it weren''t for the cricket.

Our bemonocled, bowler hat wearing forebears were of the opinion the two sports could not co-exist on the same schedule.

All world cups would''ve been in colder climates had that not been the case, likely played around Oct-Nov.

Til, I used to play football in a team, that was managed by Chris Wilkinson, and which, as a result, contained many Policemen.

I have also played Rugby at Wayland, and that was a great experience, when, pre-match, you''d have to walk through the Gym, and whilst some prisoners, were doing weights, and some of them had obviously been doing it for a long time!

Also, after the game the Warders would conveniently turn a blind eye for a couple of minutes, whilst the prisoners that had played, were able to share the alcohol we usually took to away games (sports scientists would approve, I''m sure.....)

Dave I remember, and I am sure I see him at City games, but I bet he won''t remember me. Mel''s name is familiar, but I cannot place a face to it. I can recall ''Barney'' and I think he had a brother play as well, possibly? I got involved, through Harry Calton''s son, who was a friend.