Sign in to follow this  
Jack Flash

Foreign Ownership/Investment

Honestly NN, I don’t know, but plenty of them seem to want to do it! I can’t see for the life of me why clubs like Wolves would be seen as more attractive than us

[quote user="JF"]There is as much compelling evidence against the arguement as there is for it. None, it’s just opinion either way[/quote]Most of the big foreign investors that have come in have gone to London, Manchester or the midlands, particularly around Birmingham or have local connections - e.g. Hull. The most obvious exception is Bournemouth, although I understand that areas of it something of a playground for the very rich.BTW, it is not just roads etc it is the other infrastructure that supports the cosmopolitan lifestyle of the very wealthy. I don''t think POW road on a Saturday night quite cuts it. [:D]

That depends on the person. Sheikh Hamdan for example shuns that lifestyle, whereas his brother who owns man city would likely love POW road

As for this cosmopolitan lifestyle, how often do you think these owners actually attend? The so called playboy sheikh who owns Man City may have attended a hand full of games in the time he’s owned the club! Abramovic attends far more often but is more the exception than the rule

[quote user="JF"]Honestly NN, I don’t know, but plenty of them seem to want to do it! I can’t see for the life of me why clubs like Wolves would be seen as more attractive than us[/quote]Taking my green and yellow specs off, I would have to say that Wolves has more potential as a club than Norwich.1. Potentially bigger crowds as much bigger population There is a downside risk to this as well though - competition - but nevertheless it is potentially  a bigger market.2. Better infrastructure - easier to get too and from, for fans (including opposition fans - extra revenue), players and others.3. It''s central location will probably mean it may not be as hard to recruit players - not all "twenty somethings" want an isolated rural area - I didn''t at that age and joined a large community of Norwich exiles in South London. Returned home in my dotage, but always commuted back for games.

@badger

Again,the idea the only motivation is profit doesn''t really stack up. Has Abramovic produced a fitted from Chelsea? Have the owners of Southampton made money? Have Bournemouth?

For some of these guys it must surely be a case of they have so much money that it’s a hobby, just something fun to do with it. I still find the idea that some people are thinking a Birmingham club is more attractive to a buyer, because of a cosmopolitan lifestyle! If I’m a playboy Billionaire, then nothing screams a good time to me more than a night out in Birmingham! if they are lucky, maybe they could get to party with Frank Skinner! 😂

Just to say that the chaps at Man City may well be related to Sheikh Hamdan somewhere along the line but the Al Nahyan family that Mansour is part of are the ruling family of Abu Dhabi whereas Hamdan''s brother is the crown prince of Dubai (Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum) and the Maktoums have no involvement as far as I know with Manchester City. Sheikh Hamdan owns plenty of land around Thetford under the Shadwell/Nunnery banner while his brother owns Warren Place, the adjacent property, two Godolphin stables and numerous studs under the Darley banner.

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 10/11/2017 8:01 PM:

Just to say that the chaps at Man City may well be related to Sheikh Hamdan somewhere along the line but the Al Nahyan family that Mansour is part of are the ruling family of Abu Dhabi whereas Hamdan''s brother is the crown prince of Dubai (Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum) and the Maktoums have no involvement as far as I know with Manchester City. Sheikh Hamdan owns plenty of land around Thetford under the Shadwell/Nunnery banner while his brother owns Warren Place, the adjacent property, two Godolphin stables and numerous studs under the Darley banner.

Shame that their passion in horse racing isn’t matched with football. Their local connections would have made them ideal candidates had that been the case

[quote user="king canary"]@badger

Again,the idea the only motivation is profit doesn''t really stack up. Has Abramovic produced a fitted from Chelsea? Have the owners of Southampton made money? Have Bournemouth?[/quote]Southampton fit the profit model very well, KC. They have made a profit after tax of £33.4m (13/14); £12m (14-15); £6m (15-16); - so over £50m for the last 3 years for which we have accounts -not at all bad for the size of business.On top of this, the resale value of the business will have grown considerably and the assets (mainly players) are far more valuable. Furthermore the owner - Katharina Liebherr - has loaned the club £31m at 5%pa - I wish I could get that on my savings.http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/southampton-with-or-without-you.htmlhttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-clubUnfortunately, such riches are unlikely to be available to investors coming in at this stage of the cycle as I have argued previously.Chelsea fit firmly into the category I have used earlier of "Patron" rather than investor (Swiss Ramble uses the term "benefactor"). I would judge it highly unlikely, but should Abramovich wish to "cash in," I suspect that he would get most of his money back through player sales and possibly more! I suspect a flotation would be more likely but again highly improbable as far as I am aware.Despite my mild excitement at the Racehorse owner in Thetford, I think that we are unlikely to find someone without local connections that just wants to give us tens or hundreds of millions of pounds.I don''t know much about Bournemouth as there is less information available, but I described it as an "obvious exception" before you identified it.Let''s be clear, there are owners that have interests other than profit for ownership - I believe that our current owners fall into this category. I believe that they are more likely to have local connections and probably some history of supporting the club or area at least. The thought seems to be that to be of any use to us they would need to prepared to pump 10s or 100s of millions into the club as a donation rather than a commercial loan. I know of nobody that fits this category, hence my earlier comment "The search for Father Christmas continues..."The other identifiable group - investors (i.e. those seeking to make a profit) should in my opinion be strenuously avoided for reasons that I ahve cited before.

Foreign Ownership/Investment is just not gonna happen......The Majority Shareholding Duo have stated as much......

We are all surely aware who''s being groomed to take over the reins......Although, if things go ''belly up'' under Nephew Tombola''s tenure......Will the majority of the NCFC support display the same tolerance, patience and forgiveness, afforded to the current duo at the ship''s helm?......

I suppose, we''ll just have to wait and see......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Foreign Ownership/Investment is just not gonna happen......The Majority Shareholding Duo have stated as much......

We are all surely aware who''s being groomed to take over the reins......Although, if things go ''belly up'' under Nephew Tombola''s tenure......Will the majority of the NCFC support display the same tolerance, patience and forgiveness, afforded to the current duo at the ship''s helm?......

I suppose, we''ll just have to wait and see......[/quote]
I think it''s a given that they won''t Mello. And if the definition of ''belly up'' is where we are now then we''ll spend most of our time ''belly up'' whether it be an Indian, a Nephew or a Chinaman.
Of course I could be wrong because I''m the ultimate poster with little brain. However I can''t see how 40 odd clubs will remain belly down when only 20 can fit into the PL. 

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Hugh Jackman, when it be known he was a Norwich supporter has said that someone from the club approached him regarding investment ! [/quote]I believe he was born of Norfolk parents in Australia to where they had emigrated and when they got divorced his mother returned to live at Aylsham. News to me he has said of an approach especially as no investment has been apparently actively sought Swindon.

[quote user="JF"]Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 10/11/2017 8:01 PM:

Shame that their passion in horse racing isn’t matched with football. Their local connections would have made them ideal candidates had that been the case[/quote]I don''t think that would sit well with MWJ as Arabs,Yanks,Russians and Chinese to do figure on his investment radar. [:D]

I didn''t say ''belly up'' is where we are now, you did......I did say, "if things go belly up''" and why mention Indian, Nephew or Chinaman? Why not just say foreign Ownership/Investment? ......

Are you ever wrong?.......Because, I always am.......Well, most of the time.......

Rarely right Mello. Probably less often than you because the good times are few and far between. But that shouldn''t prevent me having an opinion. 

Well anyway, I digress. My personal opinion is that we should actively court/seek Investment, including if necessary new ownership. Whether that be Foreign investment or from within the UK - it matters not a jot to me.....

Although, I cannot see an interested individual or group of prospective investors (foreign or otherwise), being actually keen on the proposed appointment of the majority shareholding duo''s nephew as club majority shareholder. The investor/investors'' would more than likely prefer to either want control or appoint their own people or person.

Which may be a good thing, or bad........A change is as good as a rest and variety is the spice of life.....I don''t fear change......some may, some are set in their ways......

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Hugh Jackman, when it be known he was a Norwich supporter has said that someone from the club approached him regarding investment ! [/quote]I believe he was born of Norfolk parents in Australia to where they had emigrated and when they got divorced his mother returned to live at Aylsham. News to me he has said of an approach especially as no investment has been apparently actively sought Swindon.[/quote]http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/hollywood-star-hugh-jackman-i-was-asked-to-invest-in-norwich-city-1-1083561

Although born in Australia, the actor, whose films include X-Men and

Real Steel, has links to Norfolk through his mother, who still lives in

Norwich.

Jackman has previously revealed how he visited her a number of times as a child and made a trip to Carrow Road when he was 16.

But, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, he revealed how he had

been approached about investing in the Canaries, before their rapid rise

through the leagues and back into the Premiership

In 2011 he said he was asked to invest ''about a year ago''.

I had forgotten about that interview Squit but the interesting point is that HJ does not say who had approached him via that letter he mentions whereas Swindon states the approach was from the club. Was it in fact the club although personally i cannot see it or was it somebody attempting to put a consortium together ? Maybe we shall never know. About a year ago in 2011 take us back to around our low ebb season of League One when there was unease surfacing about the reign of Delia & MWJ .

If the Club in any way shows it is desperate for a buyer or major investor, then without doubt you get the wrong type of owner, whereas if we get our house properly in order, demonstrate the business is sound with a strong base then this presents a much better case for a genuine investor. In the circumstances I believe the Webber model is better suited to attract someone we would all be comfortable with. No need to go down on bended knees for any old investor because you get what you deserve in this life.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I had forgotten about that interview Squit but the interesting point is that HJ does not say who had approached him via that letter he mentions whereas Swindon states the approach was from the club. Was it in fact the club although personally i cannot see it or was it somebody attempting to put a consortium together ? Maybe we shall never know. About a year ago in 2011 take us back to around our low ebb season of League One when there was unease surfacing about the reign of Delia & MWJ .[/quote]At the Feb 2010 AGM McNally & Bowkett said that they were in talks with someone to seek new investment so it could''ve come from the club via that 3rd party.http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/mcnally-confident-of-finding-fresh-investment-1-646522

Norwich City chief executive David McNally says he is confident that

the club will be able to attract new investment as it bids to reduce

debts of £23m.

City have appointed Deloittes to advise on attracting

investment - and McNally expects to receive their first report within a

matter of weeks.

For whatever reason Squit HJ did not come on board and Mcnally''s confidence in attracting new investment was misplaced. The debt has gone without it but maybe Ed Balls and the board will have to try again should we remain in this division and once our remaining jewels in the crown have been sold ?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Well, it was good while it lasted!http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41966741

The owners of Leicester City Football Club are reportedly being sued for £323m over money owed to the Thai government.

A criminal court in Bangkok accepted the case against King Power International on Monday, according to Reuters news agency.

[/quote]That is a serious amount of money in anyone''s eyes but if you seriously are suggesting it will make any difference to Leicester City looking at the big picture as far as the total wealth of King Power and the individuals involved with it i think you are wrong TCC. The assets of all involved are mind numbing figures.

You could be right about the tip of the iceberg but the FA and Premier League have a very shoddy track record in dealing with individuals with a dubious track record in their respective countries who somehow pass the fit and proper person test.

The discussion on the Pink''un live debate asked what is a football club here for. Would you all be happy if money laundering was the root source of investment? Abramovich at Chelski, the farce that was Yeung at Brum, the Etihad brand valuation, and now the Foxes and the Thai Gov funding for retail investment! Hmm, surely there must be one premier league club having success without dodgy funding behind them?

I''m not decrying foreign investment, it just seems fraught with all sorts of moral danger.