Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Tim Gudgin (BBC results) RIP

Tim Gudgin, formerly the voice of BBC television''s Saturday tea-time football results, has died aged 87.Gudgin, known for his distinctive rising and falling intonation, started

his broadcasting career while on National Service in Germany in 1949 at

the age of 20.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPr-af4XfQo

What always surprised me was that the bloke working the teleprinter had such a bad stutterYou would get the home team''s scote then the poor fellow would have an attack and you would have to wait to see the other teams scorethat would sometimes be followed by him blurting out a whole pile of results before having another ''attack''happy days

For those of us old enough to remember when you couldn''t find out the footie results until 5 o''clock and '' Sports Report '' this is a sad day.

Forfar 5 East Fife 4 anyone ?

Wasn''t it

East Fife 5 Forfar so far 4?

Five pm and Dad poised with his pencil to take down the Classified results and dream of spending his fourth divvie on Littlewoods pools.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Five pm and Dad poised with his pencil to take down the Classified results and dream of spending his fourth divvie on Littlewoods pools.[/quote]Did he use the "Famous Infra-Draw Method" KG?"Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol".[:D]

Did he use the "Famous Infra-Draw Method" KG?

He never use to win as I recall so I doubt it. But listening to old Horace certainly brings back dark evenings listening to Luxemborg.

Thing is if Horace''s method was so good, why tell every one else?

Know nothing about him tbh, he lived 10 years beyond the national average tough so well done lad! Enjoy your rest while us living damned have to wake up early for work tomorrow :P

I associate his voice with the rugby results. I''m sure for any years he would do just those James Alexander Gordon and would read the footy results.I can imagine Gudgin''s voice saying "Sale", "Aberwyswith" and "London Irish".