Sign in to follow this  
pete

Arsenal game to blame for current problems

!2o minutes at the Emirates Nelson playing entire game when not 100% has proved to be a game too far for our limited squad.

With insight like that you should send your CV to all the major sports broadcasters.

Cup games should be exclusively for the fringe and youth players.

Little positive is ever gained from a run that inevitably ends up in defeat against a top 6 side. Freshness in the league means everything when promotion or relegation have such immense impacts.

Hopefully Farke will have learned this.

On the contrary, I think Farke takes a longer view of the league and that one cup game for him was just one game in a long season.  The longer view is that there is still plenty of time to get into the play offs and have a successful season - and lets be fair, that game could have led to an exciting victory had the ref not been so cack. So we lost three games on the trot, but Farke didn''t lose them, neither did fitness.  The players lost those games - if forward players took their chances, the team as a whole might be able to kick on and play better.   If anything, Farke will have learned more from the defeats in the league than the victories we have had.  Jerome is not clinical enough for the style we play, Murphy is at best as an impact sub, Wildschut is dangerous but you get no cigar from him. If Oliveira isn''t fit enough, those three players plus Watkins are all Farke has to choose from - and he inherted them, apart from Watkins.  If they can''t deliver the goals - and they haven''t - then he has to find ways of changing things to get that right.  If he has to stick with them because his options are limited, then the only other alternative is that those four players up their game.  Murphy has talent, we know that, but talent alone is not good enough. Jerome can score goals, we know that too - he needs to find his mojo. Wildschut needs to find his scoring boots - he''s got one at Sheff Utd, but that is not enough from a player who''s main game is to run and shoot. Sort yourselves out boys. The Arsenal game was brilliant up to a point, we did nearly everything right - and one defeat does not make a bad season, there is plenty of time for development, improved results and finding the scoring knack.  But largely, that is up to the forward players to step it up.

Sounds like there isn''t any point in entering cups from the reaction of some posters.

I cannot believe that we shouldn''t be taking one game at a time and when you have a major cup competition next game, especially last 16 then you try and win it by naming your best team.

And these clubs who play fringe players and then drop them for the final make me vomit.

Who isn''t to say if we had held on at Arsenal what a lift it would have been.

It''s a question of priorities.

That''s obvious to most of us, but not including DF.

Playing youngsters and fringe players on a big stage has some important usefulness as well.

Hindsight is great. If he had put out the youth and lost I am sure people, exactly the same ones, would be moaning about Farke not taking the Cup seriously, disrespecting the thousands of fans that went etc.

It was a wonderful, relatively rare opportunity for some genuine excitement at the possibility of silverware. Such occasions, particularly with 10k fans present and a high profile opponent with other priorities, meant it was worth throwing the kitchen sink at it. Farke would have been hugely criticised had he done otherwise.

We were on a good run, playing well and victory was very close. It would have been the kind of result that can make a season. Farke would also have gained huge goodwill. He would have lost some of it had he played a weakened side. He was doing different to others, somewhat polishing the changing brand of the new structure.

As for playing Nelson throughout, I was surprised, but interpreted it as football-speak from Manager-to-player (and others) that perhaps his injuries could be overcome with a little more willpower. A flaky attitude to minor injuries often means a player looking elsewhere.

Parma

Sorry but this is ridiculous! It''s dammed if you, dammed if you don''t!

Going back as long as I can remember people have been moaning that the club never takes cups seriously and the fans deserve a decent cup run. A couple of seasons ago when we faced Man City early in the FA Cup when we''d been on a decent run on the league people blamed playing a ''weaker'' team as part of the reason for the subsequent drop in form saying the weakened team impacted confidence!

We now have a set-up that took the cup very seriously, played a strong and inform squad and that''s being moaned about! If we''d have ''played the kids'' and gone on to lose the subsequently league matches anyway people would blame not taking the cup seriously.

Let''s be honest, we were 4 minutes away from a victory which everyone would''ve been delighted with after an amazing performance.

and then what west ham ,man city man utd etc etc.

Huge hard games who we cant compete with short rooster and unbalanced team that we have!

After meeting week ago we all understand once more that if not promoted this year we must loose again 2-3 class players in summer.

Tettey is big miss and team is virtually without striker when Oliveira is out.Is impossible with this rooster we to play 6 days 3 and a half games and to be competitive.

Loosing 3 in a row is huge blow and im quite sure this cant happen if we kick out Carabao cup round or two ago.

If team is not ready we must have priority that is and future is on card with last parachute payments season.

[quote user="Boris"]and then what west ham ,man city man utd etc etc.

Huge hard games who we cant compete with short rooster and unbalanced team that we have!

After meeting week ago we all understand once more that if not promoted this year we must loose again 2-3 class players in summer.

Tettey is big miss and team is virtually without striker when Oliveira is out.Is impossible with this rooster we to play 6 days 3 and a half games and to be competitive.

Loosing 3 in a row is huge blow and im quite sure this cant happen if we kick out Carabao cup round or two ago.

If team is not ready we must have priority that is and future is on card with last parachute payments season.[/quote]Couldn''t agree more, me old cock

I think you could probably guess, given previous selections in the competition this season, that DF would select a strong team. Couple that with Arsenal''s poor performance in the previous round and this looked like a good chance for a win against a Premiership side.

Would we have taken 9000-10000 fans if we thought we were going to put out a weakened team? I doubt that I would have gone and let''s face it, we''ve struggled with attendances in Cup games at Carrow Road in recent seasons because of a combination of weakened teams and not reducing prices.

It was a calculated gamble, and it nearly came off. I for one am not going to start criticising DF for showing some bravado rather than cowering against the Premiership teams.