Sign in to follow this  
Coq au vin

No moans no party?

Hi all, given I’m mostly ignored by many on here, here’s my take on how things currently stand. I hope it fills some of the more positive on here with some hope at least.

Addressing the elephant, I don’t think the majority of fans have the patience this overhaul desires. They’ve been long suffering for too lengthy a period of time now which I can forgive them for. To have a decent yo yo period to now being faced with championship averageness and to watch peers the likes of clubs aka Sheff Utd and Wolves climb higher is galling.

Personally I think we were too hasty in removing Irvine. Could he not of worked under the DoF role? We’ll never know but the football we played under him was a balanced lot. However Farke is an experiment, if he continues in this vein then summer will be interesting especially given Shrewsbury ascendency (I posted its own little thread below which no one read, given 3 of our decent youth players are getting on extremely well there, It’s not outside the realms of imagination to think the Shrews coach could be a viable option) and how, from the outside at least, there seems to be a vested interest into what’s going on there. Webber’s signing was the most important of the lot, under him I feel positive more about the long term than the current. We’ll see but rather we tried to shake things up than still be in the rut shipping money with Ricky Martin, Darnborough et al.

Why do we always have to be the Club for an experiment though when nobody else does?

It’s no coincidence that over the last 20 years we have had some really pi$$ poor managers such as Hamilton, Roeder, Gunn, Adams and now Farke!

Too many failed experiments!

The only one you could class as an experiment was Adams and that failed because it was halfarsed, which in turn lead to the management and fans bottling it.I have been very-pro this new set-up,and think it will need a good bit of time and patience, which quite frankly football fans tend not to have, but some positive signs are necessary for the fans to stay on side. Currently I can''t honestly say I have seen many ''green shoots'' appearing, with a lot of our players going backwards rather than improving.

''I don’t think the majority of fans have the patience this overhaul desires.''

I think this is true but I don''t hugely blame the fans for two reasons.

1) this is our last season with parachute payments and thus our best chance to get back up.

2) This overhaul was sold to fans as giving us the best chance of an immediate return to the Premier League.

I guess you can look it at from a couple of angles really.

Firstly , football is about entertainment, regardless of the results we pay our money and give up our weekends to be entertained. Currently under Farke I don''t think any of us are entertained.

Secondly agree or disagree fact is football is an industry which revolves around making money. The players, the managers the owners etc etc the majority do it to make money. We the fans give the money so should deserve to have a say but the be all and end all is we are just a footnote. Fan opinion and happiness is probably ranked outside the top 10 bullet points on "the plan".

I think a lot of us are really impatient (me included) point being we probably have the best Centre backs at the club right now that we have had in the last 10 years. We probably have the worst strikers at the club for the last 10 years and an average to middling midfield. The likes of Josh Murphy will probably end up playing the majority of their career around middle to bottom champ / top div 1 because even though he''s one of ours... he''s not good enough!

We need to give Farke time and he needs to learn that a 3 CB and wing backs is not an option unless you have world class players. We simply don''t have the ability to play that way.

Lets get a Morris back from his loan and find another loanie or lower league permo signing ship off Oli ( love him but he doesn''t want to be here clearly) and Cam Jam ( past it now) and start playing 2 up top. Clearly this very patient (boring) sideways football is not doing anything.

Its sad and embarrassing to watch us move the ball around to make space with the other team just mirroring our movement, I''m no Alex Ferguson but I can even see this is predictable football.

Farke IS the man for the job, he just needs a year and we almost need to just accept that this season is going to be a bit of a bore.

[quote user="king canary"]''I don’t think the majority of fans have the patience this overhaul desires.''

I think this is true but I don''t hugely blame the fans for two reasons.

1) this is our last season with parachute payments and thus our best chance to get back up.

2) This overhaul was sold to fans as giving us the best chance of an immediate return to the Premier League.[/quote] 
"2) This overhaul was sold to fans as giving us the best chance of an immediate return to the Premier League."
Can you quote chapter and verse for that KC? I''ve seen statements from the club about promotion still being the aim this season, but I don''t ever recall Webber, for example, saying, on any of the many occasions on which he has spoken publicly, that the process he is orchestrating optimised our chances of a return to the EPL this season. Quite the contrary, he has been at pains to emphasise a longer horizon. Added to which, virtually everything Webber has done since his arrival, makes sense only if viewed through the lens of a longer time scale. 
I have never bought into the idea that promotion is anything more than a most unlikely outcome this season. Whatever the club says -- and all too often what "the club" says (not Webber by the way) is what the club thinks fans want to hear -- actions speak louder than words. Promotion may in some sense be "the aim" this season, but e.g. the arrivals and departures on and off the field, the stress on developing an integrated approach at all levels and the emphasis given to the academy all point to promotion not in fact being the priority.  Indeed, rather than a return to the EPL this season, it all speaks to addressing the reality of NOT being promoted this season. 
As for "not hugely blaming the fans", I suspect there are many fans who see it much as I do. The others, those who have persisted in their wishful thinking, have only themselves to blame.

Addressing the elephant, I don’t think the majority of fans have the patience this overhaul desires. They’ve been long suffering for too lengthy a period of time now which I can forgive them for. To have a decent yo yo period to now being faced with championship averageness and to watch peers the likes of clubs aka Sheff Utd and Wolves climb higher is galling.

Any supporter who has only been going for the last 15 years has little to complain about though Morgan. Yes we have had our lows but just as many if not more highs.

The league 1 season when by December, we expected to beat anyone in that division was so exciting.

And even relegation from the Prem doesn''t detract from playing in the top league.

Patience is in short supply in life let alone at NCFC and I don''t blame the board for a change of direction at all. And even the most AHD of supporters must recognise that despite the drop off of our expectancies, we are going about it the right way.

I am not sure if DF or Webber are the answer but think the system is. We are trying to play football. I just think we are in between at the moment. But with the return and hopefully retention of Pritchard, pressure off Maddison to do it all and purchase of a new striker, and a bit more risk/positivity from the coach, then we stand a chance.

Which is all we can hope for.

[quote user="king canary"]@Westcoast

I seem to remember hearing it but can''t find the exact quote so I may be mistaken.[/quote] [Y] Equally, I may have missed some such statement. 

I rarely visit this board but thanks to the OP and all the contributors to this thread. Its great to see valid well thought out contributions.

After witnessing that performance on Saturday, my positivity is returning.

Patience is definitely the name of the game here. Fake et al have to adjust to the requirements of the English game and we, as fans, have to adjust to his style of football. I can''t get fussed about results too much as I expect ups and downs and for the club to finish mid-table. The future I believe will be better than it might seem right now as the younger players come through and take their places in the first team.