Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Marley Watkins

While I doubt he''s anything to get excited about I think it''s unfair to judge him until he''s had a decent run of games.

I think there could have been an opportunity to start him or another attack minded player yesterday instead of shoe-horning certain other players into the team.

He needs a decent run of games. The last thing he is, is an impact player. Which makes Farkes decision to use him from the bench baffling.

I want him starting. He’s full of desire and workrate, something clearly missing yesterday. Him and Wildshut with Maddison. I’m sick of Murphy and Vrancic. Not good consistently good enough and make the side unbalanced.

Not having Marley Watkins AT ALL

Is he an inside forward? Winger? Tea lady? He has no identity at all

Watkins is one of them players whose not great in any position, so gets labelled with the utility tag. One thing I will say about him is he does play with some heart an workrate which is more than some!

To be fair weve not seen much of him.

Hes hardly a class player but he has a bit of pace and strength and obviously works hard. Would offer a bit of natural width too. Id personally play Wildshut ahead of Watkins but you''d think Watkins would be the safer, more defensively aware option.

Any one of the players mentioned above, including Watkins, are better at wide right then Stieperman. Total passenger first half and useless in his preferred position.

According to whoscored.com, playing in the Championship last season for Barnsley, Watkins clocked up 34 league appearances (8 as a sub), scoring 10 goals and making 7 assists (i.e. the same number of assists as Wes and Jacob M for us). He played predominantly on the right as an attacking midfielder. This would suggest to me that if we want to see the best of him he needs a run of games in that position. But with Pritchard on the way back it looks as if he''s unlikely now to be given much opportunity. He may not generate the same excitement as Yanic but what''s more important, actual goals and assists or terrace frission?

Watching these two clips Watkins comes across as a Holt type finisher - something we are currently missing.Though it is more a case that we are missing that type of play. The urgency to get the ball forward seems to be missing - as well as getting the ball in where it hurts. Get back to that and we have someone who will finish. Someone with the strength to hold off players and can win the ball in the air. He can also hit it from a ''distance'' - Brighton friendlyHow many times have we seen a player put through on a one two one  and miss ? The ball is ''loose'' in the box but no one puts it away ?Footballers do not have ''stations '' despite the guff below, nor spaces. It is a game off 10 outfield v 10. Where your opponent is will determine where you are, not some absurd formation. Watch the goals, freeze the play at any spot and see if you can spot what ''formation they are in.Watch the goals and recognise what we are missinggoalsa great goal against the binners