Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Old season tickets

Found one in a box in my loft going back to the 60’s, can’t see exact date it’s faded. Looks like a raffle ticket system where you tear of the slip for each game, I think I remember the game number being displayed on the turnstile entrance., Ricardo will know ! For some reason I missed game six, wonder what happened ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Cost me three bob ( 15p ) in the Barclay for the FA Cup match v Sheff Wed in 1967 and 70p in the seats at Cold Blow Lane in 1975.Against all odds I lived to spend again...

[/quote]I was at that game, surprised how few City fans traveled down and ended up in the seats as well as it was quite ''hairy'' elsewhere - attacked a couple of times in the seats ! ! !

My first ever visit to the Old Den and it  was 1-1 with Geoff Butler scoring the equaliser which made the exit from the ground rather eventful. I think it was GB''s only ever goal for Norwich.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]My first ever visit to the Old Den and it  was 1-1 with Geoff Butler scoring the equaliser which made the exit from the ground rather eventful. I think it was GB''s only ever goal for Norwich.[/quote]

An equaliser in the 90 th plus minute that relegated Millwall that certainly was not received in th best spirit by their fans. Still we lived to tell the tale...just. Remember walking thru their fans on the way to the station praying that none of my colleagues with Norfolk accents wouldn''t say anything. Even I kept quiet!

[quote user="Rhubarb"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]Cost me three bob ( 15p ) in the Barclay for the FA Cup match v Sheff Wed in 1967 and 70p in the seats at Cold Blow Lane in 1975.Against all odds I lived to spend again...

[/quote]I was at that game, surprised how few City fans traveled down and ended up in the seats as well as it was quite ''hairy'' elsewhere - attacked a couple of times in the seats ! ! ![/quote]I''m not.....me, you and Tilly should have been certified. Another bloke I knew wore a scarf but he too survived and I remember a woman wearing a scarf being called things a country hick like me didn''t know existed [;)]As Tilly remembers Geoff Butler equalised. It was about the 94th minute with a header and the locals weren''t impressed. The walk back up Cold Blow Lane to New Cross after the game was a delight that''s for sure. I didn''t see any violence as there were so few City fans there unlike at Fratton Park a fortnight later.But that''s another story..... 

An equaliser in the 90 th plus minute that relegated Millwall that certainly was not received in th best spirit by their fans. Still we lived to tell the tale...just. Remember walking thru their fans on the way to the station praying that none of my colleagues with Norfolk accents wouldn''t say anything. Even I kept quiet!Their fans mounted an almost military operation afterwards. There were lines of them at intervals along Cold Blow Lane scanning everyone for any hint of yellow and green.Not a copper in sight. Charming.

Yes, I remember the season tickets with the tear off strips for each match. Can''t recall when hey finished and the cards started.

When I first went with my dad in the early fifties I think it was a tanner [6d] in old money to get in the ground and you could transfer into the Barclay or Enclosure for an extra thru''pence.

The season tickets were books of numbered tickets. First team games at the front of the were one colour and then reserve games at the back were a different colour. I seem to remember the book also contained a ticket for the first round of the cup competitions. (Can''t remember if that was the league cup or both cups). There were also priority slips for cup games because back then season ticket holders and shareholders had first refusal for every game.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]An equaliser in the 90 th plus minute that relegated Millwall that certainly was not received in th best spirit by their fans. Still we lived to tell the tale...just. Remember walking thru their fans on the way to the station praying that none of my colleagues with Norfolk accents wouldn''t say anything. Even I kept quiet!Their fans mounted an almost military operation afterwards. There were lines of them at intervals along Cold Blow Lane scanning everyone for any hint of yellow and green.Not a copper in sight. Charming.[/quote]I''m afraid we didnt get to see the second half as we had left at half time - given the threats being made. We were not that old. We had met a lad with blonde hair in a sheepskin from (Horning (?) and went down on the train with him, It was well intimidating from the word go. We had gone into the seats for safety but were verbally attacked throughout the game.It appeared we had been followed out, just two of us and then got a few kicks and punches, caused in part by my mate tw@tting one of them.The old bill were there fairly quick, arrested those responsible and we were taken to Greenwich hospital and patched up,caught a later train and then hitched back out into the wilds of home.They pleaded guilty and were fined if I recall.Portsmouth was just as much fun, having to walk past one of their pubs and getting the ''odd'' bottle thrown. But by then the lessons of Stoke away had kicked in - we legged it.Looking back I would not have missed it for the world

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]After attending every home game 1968-1972 it makes me wonder why my father never bought me a season ticket [/quote]

Probably the same reason I didn''t have one for those years. Season tickets were only available for seats not terracing & at that stage only 10% of the ground were seats.

You didn''t need a load of coppers at NCFC games

Just stick CHANG at the back if the Barclay and that was sufficient

Who the hell could afford a season ticket back in 1967?

I used to walk round to the Barclay after walking up RIverside or down Rouen Road and used to see "the knobs" going into the City Stand.

I don''t think they would have appreciated a yellow and green leather jacket and yellow and green daisy roots in that stand then.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Who the hell could afford a season ticket back in 1967?

I used to walk round to the Barclay after walking up RIverside or down Rouen Road and used to see "the knobs" going into the City Stand.

I don''t think they would have appreciated a yellow and green leather jacket and yellow and green daisy roots in that stand then.[/quote]A pedant writes...It was the Main Stand"Bring on the cushions ..... "

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The season tickets were books of numbered tickets. First team games at the front of the were one colour and then reserve games at the back were a different colour. I seem to remember the book also contained a ticket for the first round of the cup competitions. (Can''t remember if that was the league cup or both cups). There were also priority slips for cup games because back then season ticket holders and shareholders had first refusal for every game.[/quote]

They were still like this when I started going, I''m sure.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Who the hell could afford a season ticket back in 1967?

I don''t think they would have appreciated a yellow and green leather jacket and yellow and green daisy roots in that stand then.[/quote]
How old were you in 1967 Pops? I went to my first game that year I was 10. It was the cup game against Sheff Wed and there were 42,000. Went with a neighbour and his dad. We stood in the south stand. After that I kept wanting to go but had nobody to take me so when I was 11 I was allowed to go on my own. Used to get the bus to the City, think it was 4D if I got off at the Lame Dog. And then if I remember rightly it was two bob to get in the riverend and half a crown to get in the Barclay. I only had the money for the river end. But then in 1968/69 I had a season ticket in the Main Stand. (The story behind that will have to be for another day). I''ve got good memories of that and the "nob" who sat next to me, I never knew his name, gave me his collection of handbooks. The earliest one was 1933/34 and I still have it. I still had a season ticket in 1969/70 but by that time my mates were barclay boys so I used to get in the main stand with my ticket and transfer through the little door into the barclay. The jobsworth on that door would say "you won''t be able to come back". Word must have got about because my "relative" who got me the season ticket never did again. My actions probably appeared ungrateful. My lasting memory of the "nobs" in the Main Stand was the aroma of dozens of hot toddies made ready for them at half-time and lined up the length of the bar.
[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="nutty nigel"]The season tickets were books of numbered tickets. First team games at the front of the were one colour and then reserve games at the back were a different colour. I seem to remember the book also contained a ticket for the first round of the cup competitions. (Can''t remember if that was the league cup or both cups). There were also priority slips for cup games because back then season ticket holders and shareholders had first refusal for every game.[/quote] They were still like this when I started going, I''m sure.[/quote]
I have vague memories that they were Duncan. First time I took you I think you were four and I got us seats in the main stand but told you that if you were a pain in the butt I wouldn''t take you again until you were older. To be fair you were good as gold[A] I remember the game was a 0-0 draw against West Ham and the next season we had season tickets in there. After the fire we were moved across to the South Stand. That was the end of the main stand and that bit of history was lost forever.
I think there''s just as many nobs in the city stand though Pops....... 
[;)]

I remember the green cushions the golden oldies had in the main stand. One dodgy decision from the linesman and they would come flying onto the pitch from all angles, if it happened now they would close the ground.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I remember the green cushions the golden oldies had in the main stand. One dodgy decision from the linesman and they would come flying onto the pitch from all angles, if it happened now they would close the ground.[/quote]

What wa hgreat about them was they would not cease after a few secondsWhether it was an intentional ploy to prolong the disruption or just that it was the varied tome they took to wake up and remove the cushion from beneath them I don''t know(I suspect ''Farmer Giles'' had a lot to do with the need for a cushion)

How old were you in 1967 Pops?

I was 16 in 1967 Double N. Nobody could tell me anything (what do you mean still can''t?) and I thought I was the business. Could afford Fred Perry shirts and Austin Reed jumpers then as an apprentice at Jarrolds Printers.

First game was Sheffield United at home in 1960. Drew 1-1 and we had a good season. In fact I believe we were awarded what they called Talent Money in those days for finishing fourth which was brilliant for a team just promoted from the new Division 3.

It was so cheap to go to the match in the 60''s and really was the working mans day out.

In the Orford for a pint or two (it seemed like they were giving beer away in those days even if it was Watney''s rubbish) before the match, a piddle in the most beastly toilets ever seen at the (non segregated) Barclay End and the orchestrated singing (other than OTBC) era had just started and the success of the World Cup win and the swinging 60''s made it such a brilliant time.

And it has just come to me that Geoffrey Watling had gold bumpers and trims on his Aston Martin and used to park it on the cobbles on Tombland when he was nipping in to his Beeline offices.

Younger members might sigh but life was a heck of a lot simpler then.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Found one in a box in my loft going back to the 60’s, can’t see exact date it’s faded. Looks like a raffle ticket system where you tear of the slip for each game, I think I remember the game number being displayed on the turnstile entrance., Ricardo will know ! For some reason I missed game six, wonder what happened ?[/quote]

As Nutty states, in those days you got a full book of tickets for first-team home games and all the reserve home games. So that was 42 home games with both leagues having 22 teams.

The books of tickets certainly continued till at least the mid-seventies or later.

My earliest recollection of a Carrow Road match was actually the England u23''s featuring Martin Peters as an overage player. He stood out from the rest to my young eyes from a roofless River End.

I remember the crush leaving the ground too. You could lift your feet off the ground and get carried along Carrow Road towards the Bridge.

[quote user="RUDOLPH FARKE"]My earliest recollection of a Carrow Road match was actually the England u23''s featuring Martin Peters as an overage player. He stood out from the rest to my young eyes from a roofless River End.

I remember the crush leaving the ground too. You could lift your feet off the ground and get carried along Carrow Road towards the Bridge.[/quote]I think your memory may be playing tricks on you RH. The only U23''s at Carrow Rd I can find was......
FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL

03/11/1965, Norwich, Carrow Road, 20.203

ENGLAND U23 3-0 FRANCE U23 [HT 1-0]

Scorers: Alan Ball, Mick Jones 2Alex Stepney [Millwall]

Chris Lawler [Liverpool]

Robert Thomson [Wolverhampton Wanderers]

John Hollins [Chelsea]

Victor Mobley [Sheffield Wednesday]

Tommy Smith [Liverpool]

Alan Ball [Blackpool]

Michael O''Grady [Leeds United]

Martin Chivers [Southampton]

Mick Jones [Sheffield United]

Peter Thompson [Liverpool]No Peters and no crush.[:D]I think you may be confusing the game with one featuring a Football League Select 11 which included Terry Alcock.

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/SwindonCanary/media/firstgameprogramme.jpg.html][IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/SwindonCanary/th_firstgameprogramme.jpg[/IMG][/URL]My first game at Carrow Road

They knew selecting a City player would put a few thousand on the gate - and it was a big gate as I recall. As you say, leaving Carrow Rd was always a crush, shuffling along shoulder to shoulder a few inches at a time until you got to the bridge.The bridge reminds me of something else - you don''t see ticket touts anymore. [:)]