Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Only my opinion but....

The best football we''ve played recently was under Irvine,i''m sure there would have been uproar if he''d have got the job but on reflection would it have been so bad ?

I''m never usually an advocate of the ''caretaker'' manager getting the full time job, but on that occasion I''d have been more than happy for Irvine to get the role, he had a number of games to prove himself, did very well and then we go and get rid. Shame.

You may recall when Alex Neil finally got the bullet, Irvine came out straight away and said he did not want the job, he would look after the team for a few games, but he had no intention of staying, so move on.

It may be true my little green friend but we have moved on and there is nothing to be done but hope this way works out.

Or else we may as well keep posting about Stringer, Walker and Lambert.

Had Irvine stayed (against his will!) he wouldn''t have had the squad this season that he had then.

Some folk need to wake up to the reality that we have no choice but to down size and therefore, proactively, launching a new philosophy that will take time.

If you fail to bounce back this happens ...

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]You may recall when Alex Neil finally got the bullet, Irvine came out straight away and said he did not want the job, he would look after the team for a few games, but he had no intention of staying.[/quote][Y]

As Ferenc Puskás once said, "In footbal ''if'' does not play". The only way this question about Irvine make sense, would be asking what would have been if he took the team over sooner, maybe in January? But bearing in mind the changes in the squad: the ins and outs at the end of the season (with special regard to the German contingent, which most probably would not be here without Farke), the variables are too many to make this a sensible question, even if we managed to convince him to stay.

Well yes, the obvious solution would have been to sack Neil in December/January and replace him with Irvine then, as everyone apart from the board could see it wasn''t working. I''m sure he''d have got us into the playoffs if that was the case.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Had Irvine stayed (against his will!) he wouldn''t have had the squad this season that he had then.

Some folk need to wake up to the reality that we have no choice but to down size and therefore, proactively, launching a new philosophy that will take time.

If you fail to bounce back this happens ...[/quote]

I''d suggest that people need to wake up to the fact that this board consistently makes rubbish decisions and is responsible for the rubbish being served up at Carrow Road. Pointless "changing things" when the people at the top are the problem.

irvine did what AN did before hand; won winnable games of little import but lost when it came to the crunch (eg fulham, huddersfield and fulham) for a play off push.

Irvine didnt do badly - but doing well in the last 4 dead rubber games with no pressure is not a measure of success. Even Hughtons city beat ManCiteh is a game of no import.

Irvine wasnt an option.

Pressure off a little as manager sacked, players suddenly up their game playing for their futures when a new manager comes in, as a result we start playing good football.

Hardly a coincidence, and with all due respect to Irvine, the players themselves said nothing really changed when AN was dismissed, certainly not really anything Irvine implemented, the players just reacted to the situation they were in.