Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Attendances

With the first season ticket prices/deals due in January, not a good time (if there ever is one) to be producing zero entertainment value to the supporters. I see a ticket price rise coming, they have to address the 2.7m losses so far somehow if Delia isn’t going to dip her hand, and we aren’t looking for investment!

Messrs Farke and Webber will be checking their contracts if there is no improvement soon, let’s face it, the owners have left it far too late previously with the likes of Worthington, Roeder, Hughton ans Neil for example. If the plan isn’t working they might not wait so long this time round!

Quite a few seats that are usually occupied by die-hard seasoned regulars were noticeably unoccupied yesterday around my plastic pew.......Maybe these absent fan folk were just Christmas shopping, holidaying or unfortunately, suffering from pre-winter illness?

All those empty seats yesterday and yet we apparently still have a healthy waiting list for season tickets? Where are those desperado supporters who are chomping at the bit and who desperately want to watch City play?......Anyway, Roll up! Roll up! First season ticket renewal date is less than 8 weeks away!......Form an orderly queue now......

Attendances will continue to drop when we are playing as we are!

Yesterday was painful and that''s coming from myself whose religiously gone to home games since the 70''s!

No wonder the faiweather fans are saying away!

There is no waiting list anymore for season tickets! My son is a member and was contacted in the Summer to see if he wanted a season ticket, if that’s the case there surely isn’t a waiting list!

The myth of a season ticket waiting list is alive and well. Baldyboy i also know a couple of people who were on the list for all of a few weeks before they got one.

LOL I guess a lot of you guys are single?

The wife is already harping on for Christmas shopping sprees across all of Europe''s major malls every Saturday.

Muggins here will probably get out of one or two but have to miss the odd game to drive miss daisy.

Also the drop in temperature will keep the old folk at bay and I hate to be a bit macabre but I know of 3 season ticket holders who have passed away since July!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"] I hate to be a bit macabre but I know of 3 season ticket holders who have passed away since July![/quote]Judging by the noise levels yesterday they were probably still in their seats.[Y]

The attendances are perhaps a 1000 to 1500 under capacity not drastic but a direction of travel that will only change with success or entertainment. At the moment there is neither. We now have one of the highest season ticket prices in the division so the scope for increases in the current atmosphere it limited. Casuals are now getting e mailed about games and advised of spare tickets. This is not a crisis but there is drift. There again I remember a league game v Birmingham when bellemy was a teenager and there were only 9000 there so perspective is needed

Attendance was fine, as normal. A few season ticket holders will have christmas shopping etc to adhere too but Barnsley brought a small number of fans which obviously helps determine the overall attendance figures. 

''A few season ticket holders will have christmas shopping etc to adhere too''

I believe season ticket holders will be counted even if you don''t attend- the club announce tickets sold rather than people through the gate.

[quote user="king canary"]''A few season ticket holders will have christmas shopping etc to adhere too''

I believe season ticket holders will be counted even if you don''t attend- the club announce tickets sold rather than people through the gate.[/quote]This is correct.I expect we will see the first sub 24k crowds next season and depending upon the length of time spent in this league a slow and steady decline towards 20k or lower. Looking at the historical figures and barring another unlikely Lambert moment, this seems inevitable.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]There is no waiting list anymore for season tickets![/quote]And that''s not at all surprising given that we have the seventh most expensive season tickets in the Country [based on the cheapest season ticket available] for A Club which is currently ranked the 32nd Club in the Country.It''s hardly what you would call value for money.That means there are 13 PL Clubs who have a lower priced season ticket than we do.Whilst we might have sold PL quality players and lowered the wage bill by no longer paying PL wages, seems like the fans are still expected to pay PL season ticket prices.Unless something changes quickly there will be 1,000''s of them going spare next year.http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/this-is-a-costly-exercise-given-norwich-city-are-falling-so-short-1-5286722

> Unless something changes quickly there will be 1,000''s of them going spare next year.

The rebuilding of the South Stand back in 2003 coincided with an upturn in performance, the reduced capacity meant you had to have a season ticket to guarantee getting in.

Andy Cullen and his team had done an incredible amount of work up to this point; introducing an ''opt-out'' direct debit scheme made season tickets easier to keep than get rid of, and the kids for a quid scheme and cheaper tickets for U18s had built up a fanbase that had got into the habit of going to football.

The reluctance to/delay in expanding Carrow Road has kept these attendances high, as we''ve been in a position up until this season where if you didn''t have a season ticket you weren''t getting in.

Once people start getting out of that habit the gaps will start to appear, and once there''s one or two thousand spare seats every game it starts to become more appealing* to pick and choose games that you know you can get tickets as a group for.

It''s an interesting period for the board in terms of how they''re going to pitch this next round of renewal promotional ''bumph'' - there''s a multi-million gap in our budget peering over our shoulder, it''s been highlighted how expensive our season tickets are and performances at Carrow Road this season won''t have many fearing missing out if they fail to renew...

Yes the prices are extreme... it shows how our football club is run...

We''re in for a long run in this division...I would consider not renewing if I were still a season ticket holder. I''ve been to a few home games this season and the atmosphere said it all, not the same as it used to be. Same as the football...boring...boring .

I stopped renewing because of job commitments ... now I would stop because of the cr@µ that''s being served up...

If attendances at Carrow Road do start to drop drastically, it''ll certainly make our current board sit up and take notice.....That''s probably only one of a few things that will make our current board actually sit up and take notice......Apart from that is maybe protests......and let''s face it, protests are never going to happen......

AGM soon, wonder if season ticket prices will get a mention? No doubt an honest reply would be forthcoming from the board and not some subterfuge spiel......Here''s hoping.......

> If attendances at Carrow Road do start to drop drastically, it''ll certainly make our current board sit up and take notice

It does seem to be something they base their decisions on...

On 6th January 2009, Mick Dennis wrote*: ''Fortunately as well, Delia and Michael will be brave again. I know they were moved by the huge number of supporters who traveled to The Valley. They accept without hesitation that fans who show that sort of loyalty have an absolute right to voice frustration, disappointment and hurt...So they''ll take the stick again this time. They won''t sack Roeder.''

On 13th January an opportunity arose to vote with our feet, an FA Cup replay against Charlton Athletic - season ticket holders don''t count for those, and only 13,997 were in attendance**.

On 14th January, Glenn Roeder was sacked.

* http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2009/01/06/for-me-replacing-glenn-now-with-any-tom-dick-or-paul-would-be-insane/

** Our lowest league attendance that year was 23,225, vs. Preston on 8th November, and we averaged 24,542 despite getting relegated to League One

Given the league attendances are based on numbers of tickets sold whether ST holders turn up or not, the next opportunity to gauge the true feeling of the ''paying'' fan will be at the next home cup match.

The club admitted they got the pricing wrong for the Southampton cup game last year, when the team was going through an equally tough period, so unless we draw a top half Prem team at home, they''ll surely go for a £10 a head, kids for a £1 strategy. Even then, I think we''ll struggle to get more than 15,000, unless we can win the next few games and be threatening the top 6 again.

But its not all about the money, is it?

Football is a results driven business, along with the entertainment value it brings. Nobody pays £ to not be entertained.

At the moment at NCFC, as has been the case since the Wembley final, neither has been very evident at all, in fact it’s been non existent regardless of the manager!

Of course the crowd will return week after week if they are watching stimulating football, with their team challenging for honours. That’s why the top six PL teams draw full houses, as will the current top championship sides, but only last year I watched Wolves on TV and the ground was near empty!

Should you go to the theatre, or indeed one of the many music concerts in the UK, and you feel you are not entertained by the experience, you more than likely will think about attending again!

The longer these poor performances carry on, the smaller the crowd will become. We laugh at our neighbours down the road, but we are following the pattern!

Declen echoes my thoughts. Attendances can get in a downward spiral, all it takes is a few hundred to walk away which then increases casual availability and decreases the need for a season ticket.

I kept mine for a year even though I was living overseas as basically I thought I''d struggle to get another one when I got back. I wouldn''t have bothered if there were a couple of thousand empty seats most weeks.