Sign in to follow this  
andrew norwichcity

Vrancic and his one assist

I casually came on here to look for a post totally ripping this guy apart but there wasn''t one that I could see. The first few games of the season this guy looked handy and his passing was ok. He set up a lovely goal and no one was complaining. I''ve since wondered how this guy keeps starting games. He has one assist all season and keeps being played just to fill a hole.

Against Barnsley he made a couple of long range awesome passes but literally nothing else from the guy for his entire time on the pitch. Surely in a position he plays we need more from him? Hes a big part of the reason our attacks are seriously lacking any kind of conviction. Thats my opinion anyways.

He wasn’t the worst player on Saturday but then everyone needs a new scapegoat now Russ isn’t involved don’t they ?

I didn''t say he was our worst player but I''m confused why we start the guy. I was never part of the Russel Martin scapegoat brigade either. Reed Would surely outperform Vrancic is started every week?

Farke said he wanted more creative players on Saturday, that’s why he played instead of Reed. I would think it will be different tomorrow night.

And some have decided a player is rubbish before a game has kicked off, I’m not against criticism but he doesn’t stand a chance at the moment

@Fenway

Yes, that is exactly what I said...

By any definition he''s been poor to average at best this season. Both what I see on the pitch and what shows up on the stats sheet back that up and it isn''t scapegoating to say it.

No individual scapegoats amongst the playing staff in my opinion.......Just a collective of an inefficient, lacking confidence and a slightly wayward goatherd squad......at this moment in time......

Too much of a passenger on Saturday. Ineffective.

You can''t afford to carry players and certainly not in the middle of the park.

If you were looking at another club you would not expect the midfield that started on Saturday to be one competing at the top of the league.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Murphy isn''t playing well but he is our leading scorer, so he is bringing something to the party[/quote]forward players often are

Not sure what your point is City 1st. Murphy is a forward who isn''t playing well but has still managed to score more than our other forwards.

This thread pointed out that Vrancic has just one assist - playing in his position with his supposed talent of picking a pass it could be argued that he isn''t bringing much to the party.

@Hairy

Assists is a bit of a nothing stat tbh- it is reliant on those you are supplying with chances putting them away. Vrancic created an excellent chance to Yanic v Hull for instance that should have been buried but wasn''t so Vrancic doesn''t get an assist despite doing everything right in that instance.

He''s been pretty good at chance creation - stats wise he is 3rd in our team for chances created (although there is a significant drop off from Maddison in 2nd to him in 3rd. It is his contribution outside of that that is lacking for me.

Again, looking at stats, his pass completion is surprisingly poor compared to others in his position and his shooting is woeful (one shot on target in the league this whole season). From what I see on the pitch, I see a player who wants to slow play down all the time and often takes the sting out of potential counter attacks by stopping the play.

Agree with all you say KC, although Indy Bones will still manage to produce a heat map and stats to show he is actually playing well and Parma will explain that you and I, as ordinary observers, don''t appreciate all the suptle things he brings to the team.

It was more of a reply to Fenway Frank with his silly comment about Murphy never playing again which annoyed me somewhat and City 1st unsurprisingly getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

The thing is the coaches probably do think he''s playing well. That''s why they pick him. I can''t believe they get together and say "This guy contributes nothing so we''ll pick him to annoy the fans"😉

Trybull seems off the pace the last few games but he had a run of good games. With Vrancic you could argue hes been played in an attacking wide role too much BUT for massive parts of games we are carrying him. Hes not threatening and with our one up front situation you need players behind either Jerome or Oliveira to be contributing at least in the way they help the play move forwards/threaten. I''ve not seen enough of that.

no trybull, vrancic or husband tomorrow - all with fresh injuries. No sign of a tettey (started 5, 1 goal conceeded, 13 points from 15) update though.

In better news Smith and Pritchard will be with the u23s tonight.

Seems the time and resources are right for a 3-5-1-1 formation.

Gunn

Hanley Zimmerman Klose

Pinto Reed maddison Steiperman

Murphy Wes

Oliveira

Vrancic is adapting to the league no doubt, and has struggled to really shine aside of one or two games he''s performed well in.

I don''t really recall him doing anything particularly of note on Saturday, but he certainly wasn''t the worst on the pitch. Perhaps he is being played out of position IMO, as he is certainly not a tackling midfielder. We need a proper CM in the mix too to sit in front of the DM (a replacement for Howson perhaps) but Vrancic certainly isn''t that, he''d probably work better in CAM.

@AJ

Therein lies the issue though- is Vrancic good enough to either

1- build the team around in order to cover his weaknesses

2- move other players (in this Maddison) out of position to accommodate him in what may be his best position.

I just don''t see it.

I agree King, certainly not now Maddison is playing like he is. I think he certainly needed to come in and perform but he hasn''t. I certainly don''t think he''s been good enough to keep others out of the side when we also have Wes, Naismith and Pritchard to fit in there somewhere when fit too. I would assume Pritchard would operate similar to Murphy in a free/wide role.

Might be worth pointing out that the only Norwich player has created more shooting chances per 90mins than Vrancic so far this season is Wes (although his lack of minutes some what warps that stat).

Vrancic may only have one assist (although no Norwich player has more than 2 so far this season), but he is still one of the most creative players in the team.

Farke''s comments about him were probably spot on, there is a really good player in there, just needs teasing out a little in a new league, with new team mates.

He may turn out to be duff...but then again (given slightly longer than 3 and a half months and an upturn in the team''s form), he may not.Courtesy of Football365

David De Gea – The Spanish teenager was

described by James Ducker in The Times as ‘a kid who won a competition

to play in goal for Manchester United’, while Patrick Barclay went even

further: ‘The goalie is like a jelly. He isn’t physically capable. He’s

Heurelho Gomes without the shot-stopping.’

Mick Dennis was equally as damning in the Daily Express:

‘He’s called David de Gea Quintana. But don’t bother learning all those

names. There will be another chap along soon. There has to be.’

Apples

@King Canary

Sorry, should have read ''from open play, per 90''. Maddison takes the majority of corners so will always get a healthy bump to his numbers. Even if you include set pieces, Maddison is ahead .4 per 90 in chances created - and that is when playing a more advanced or central role, which will make it easier to create chances.