Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Just back from the game

Not a classic by any means, both teams created relatively little and the only thing of any note the keepers had to do was Angus making a couple of decent but routine stops, and their keeper making a fantastic save from Nelson''s free kick.
Thought the boos at the end were harsh - I''m not one of these anti-booing happy clapper types - I have no issue with booing at games when it''s warranted, but didn''t think they deserved it tonight. We lost and didn''t look like world beaters but we largely outplayed Forest (who were very poor themselves) but they nicked a goal. That''s just football in my book. It wasn''t like at Hillsborough last season when we were horrific or Brimingham away horror show, we played OK, did some good stuff, did some not good stuff - it was all pretty standard.
Thought Pinto was excellent, and Reed had a very good game. Maddison got kicked all over the park again, Oliviera looked pretty sharp without ever really threatening, Watkins had a decent game, Vrancic was abysmal (again), Stiepermann was pretty poor although did have a few nice moments going forwards (hope Jamal Lewis is back soon because neither Stipermann, nor Husband are the answer at Left Back). Klose wasn''t good, thought Hanley did OK though - his distribution was a mix of aimless hoofs and Beckhamesque 40 yard crossfielders bang on the money. Wes was trying too hard and kept getting cute when he didn''t need to, but largely pulled the strings in the first half although he was awful defensively. 
Didn''t think Farke got it too wrong to be honest, my only query would be not bringing Wildschut on, and leaving Vrancic on the pitch when he contributed nothing at all.
There is a decent team in there somewhere, but missing Pritchard, Tettey, Trybull is killing us in the middle of the park at the moment.

can''t differ from any of thatPinto looks more commanding with every gamea cracking take off the byline in the 2nd half, when instead of knocking it out for a corner he side stepped the Forest player and came away with the ballwe looked stretched down the left side, where the goal came fromthere is still a spark... justas we no longer are getting hammered goal wise

But, was it ‘our best away performance’? Did we have ‘20 chances’?

It seems we may have hit the point now where a lot of fans will react negatively to anything but a win. We have played ok too many times this season, in this league it’s simply not enough. You need to actually be able to score to win, and each game we look worse and worse upfront regardless of who is actually playing

[quote user="kick it off"]Not a classic by any means, both teams created relatively little and the only thing of any note the keepers had to do was Angus making a couple of decent but routine stops, and their keeper making a fantastic save from Nelson''s free kick.
Thought the boos at the end were harsh - I''m not one of these anti-booing happy clapper types - I have no issue with booing at games when it''s warranted, but didn''t think they deserved it tonight. We lost and didn''t look like world beaters but we largely outplayed Forest (who were very poor themselves) but they nicked a goal. That''s just football in my book. It wasn''t like at Hillsborough last season when we were horrific or Brimingham away horror show, we played OK, did some good stuff, did some not good stuff - it was all pretty standard.
Thought Pinto was excellent, and Reed had a very good game. Maddison got kicked all over the park again, Oliviera looked pretty sharp without ever really threatening, Watkins had a decent game, Vrancic was abysmal (again), Stiepermann was pretty poor although did have a few nice moments going forwards (hope Jamal Lewis is back soon because neither Stipermann, nor Husband are the answer at Left Back). Klose wasn''t good, thought Hanley did OK though - his distribution was a mix of aimless hoofs and Beckhamesque 40 yard crossfielders bang on the money. Wes was trying too hard and kept getting cute when he didn''t need to, but largely pulled the strings in the first half although he was awful defensively. 
Didn''t think Farke got it too wrong to be honest, my only query would be not bringing Wildschut on, and leaving Vrancic on the pitch when he contributed nothing at all.
There is a decent team in there somewhere, but missing Pritchard, Tettey, Trybull is killing us in the middle of the park at the moment.
[/quote] Thank God for a balanced opinion amidst the welter of nonsense. What you describe is pretty much what I saw watching on iFollow. Only point of disagreement would be Vrancic; saying he contributed nothing at all is simply not true. 

We had no real width was the real problem no winger in team.

We missed a sitter in first half and that set the tone really.

I can not say anyone had a bad game but neither did anyone set pitch alight. Madders kept running into red brick wall, Hools was awful in defence duties as usual .

Too much huff and puff always lokking for another pass, really should have at least drawn.

Olivera needs to be taught how to head a ball and stop being lazy and moaning . He is abrilliant player but needs to stay focussed.

To say best performance suggests where real isssue is we need to remember game is about scoring goals not pass pass pass going nowhere.

I didn''t think it was our best away performance RB. I was at Bramall Lane and thought we played better there, albeit more defensively for a start.
Agree with what your saying about winning etc, but to be fair to our players, we had an awful lot of last ditch tackles and interceptions against us today. We didn''t have loads of chances but we were awfully close on a number of occasions to having some brilliant ones. Not that it makes it any certainty we''d have scored any of them but a number of times they cut out the killer final ball through good defending rather than anything we did wrong (although there were also a few they cut out because we did get it wrong in key areas.
I disagree with what Farke said, but I can also totally understand where he''s coming from, it''s not complete nonsense.

[quote user="CJ"]We had no real width was the real problem no winger in team.

We missed a sitter in first half and that set the tone really.

I can not say anyone had a bad game but neither did anyone set pitch alight. Madders kept running into red brick wall, Hools was awful in defence duties as usual .

Too much huff and puff always lokking for another pass, really should have at least drawn.

Olivera needs to be taught how to head a ball and stop being lazy and moaning . He is abrilliant player but needs to stay focussed.

To say best performance suggests where real isssue is we need to remember game is about scoring goals not pass pass pass going nowhere.[/quote]
Largely agree with this to be fair.
Too much tippy-tappy and not enough direction about us tonight.

When I did my pre-season forecasting, this was down as a 1-0 defeat and we are 1 point ahead of where I thought we would be.

The bad news is I think it''s going to get worse before it gets better.

I was at the game too, and am happy to see some counter-balance to the overdose of misery on the match thread. I thought we played ok, and the neutral Derby supporter with me agreed. As he said, the problem was in the final third, apart from that we looked by far the better side. IMHO we are 20% way from turning into a side who can challenge for promotion, and with some more time, one or two more transfer windows and hopefully keeping some of our best players, we will be up there soon.

[quote user="kick it off"]I didn''t think it was our best away performance RB. I was at Bramall Lane and thought we played better there, albeit more defensively for a start.
Agree with what your saying about winning etc, but to be fair to our players, we had an awful lot of last ditch tackles and interceptions against us today. We didn''t have loads of chances but we were awfully close on a number of occasions to having some brilliant ones. Not that it makes it any certainty we''d have scored any of them but a number of times they cut out the killer final ball through good defending rather than anything we did wrong (although there were also a few they cut out because we did get it wrong in key areas.
I disagree with what Farke said, but I can also totally understand where he''s coming from, it''s not complete nonsense.
[/quote]As said, I think we looked more like a Championship team than we have for a while We seemed more ready to ''go for goal'' than in previous games.Loose Varancic and Superman and replace with Pritchard, Tetty,  or Naismith and it will look better as they haven''t looked like they have fallen for this ''over passing'' idiocy - which whilst retaining possession achieves little by the simple expedient of allowing the opposition to get back. close us down and stifle any attackAgain I would suggest folks have another watch of Holt''s goals and see how many of them resulted froma load of tippity tap around the goal mouth. They don''t. It was a fast build up and a fast finish, Don''t let the opposition have a chance to ''regroup''.Did Lambert coach this into them ? Did he allot each player a ''station'' ? Of course not. They would have been working on moving the ball forward quickly and getting the confidence to hit hard and hit quick'' look at how many of the goals were from a ''long'' cross into the box. How many were Holt having the knack of hitting the target from any angle.... first time. That''s what we are missing.Not only someone who can finish like that, but an intent from others of getting the ball in where it hurts.Holt - great memories

I just can''t see what the game plan is to score goals at moment?....we aren''t prepared to shoot from distance ..we don''t attack from wide areas, our aim appears to be to try and walk the ball into the penalty area often into a brick wall and hope that something breaks so that someone can have a snapshot.

Joint top scorers in the league last season to 4th? worst this and with seemingly no method to our chance creation.

I don''t see where our next goal is coming from?

Problem is if you do not score you will not win all this we had more the of the game were the better side had more of the ball etc but still losing is getting very common this season if we do not score we are in trouble

We will provide much more of a threat going forward when Pritchard returns but we may well lose him in January. We are a bottom half side but not a relegation side we still have a 9 point buffer

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I just can''t see what the game plan is to score goals at moment?....we aren''t prepared to shoot from distance ..we don''t attack from wide areas, our aim appears to be to try and walk the ball into the penalty area often into a brick wall and hope that something breaks so that someone can have a snapshot. Joint top scorers in the league last season to 4th? worst this and with seemingly no method to our chance creation. I don''t see where our next goal is coming from?[/quote]
"Not prepared to shoot from distance"? Last night we had 14 shots, 11 of which were from outside the penalty area!
"Hope that something breaks so that someone can have a snapshot"? Last night one of the most obvious frustrating things was unwillingness to have a snapshot when the chance presented itself. Shot opportunities were passed up on several different occasions by different players  -- Oliveira, Watkins, Hoolahan -- in favour of trying to lay the ball off for someone else to shoot. 

@Yorkshire

I really don’t think things will be any diffeeent when Pritchard returns. It’s not the players, it’s the system we are trying to play that means everything is slow, laboured and easy to defend against

Agree with wcc. Vrancic was pretty good - even made some interceptions.

And it was generally NOT slow & laboured; our biggest problem was trying to play through the middle too many times, but there were some really incisive fast passing moves which nearly - but of course didn''t - come off. It needed someone to drive in to the box from the wings, something Josh can do when he''s on it, & whip it across.

Actually our biggest problem is that neither Nelson or Watkins had their shooting boots on. Hopefully Oliveira will be back to his best once he''s up to speed again.

And I agree with Farke. In many ways one of our most complete performances. Just a small matter of goals missing ...

I actually thought we were okay last night. Nothing between us and a Forest side who have been very good at home. Countless occasions when the ball just didn''t quite fall to present a gold opportunity. Certainly not the performance worthy of the boos when the players came over at the end. And to the group of tw*ts that went down to the front row and gave them all w*nker signs for a good minute or two, you''re pathetic.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"][/quote]

Ouch, I live in Nottingham so not too bad - was home about 10:30!